Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-07, 03:37 PM   #1
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Froggin

Froggers, I am not up on the subject.Yes I have caught fish in the slop on them, but thats the extent of my fishing frogs.I am looking for more info on how you fish them frogs.I know alot of you have commited to a specific frog setup,this would lead me to beleive there's a whole lot more to it than what I am doing. Zooker, Bassinbob, others,lets hear the real deal on froggin ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 04:10 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hey pnj,
you've had some really interesting post lately.
as far as froggin, two years ago they were my bread and butter lure, but last year had a so so year. I know cus i ran out of all kinds of frogs couple years ago and this year have a few left.
Big reason for that is we hit the big lake this summer and got away from ponds, where the vegetation mats seem to grow more. I tried many times swimming the zoom toad and also tried the Manns hard nose, the baits are almost identical. also got the ribbit, which has high praise from the southern guys, but it turned out to be my least favorite one so far, due to the fact I bought several of the floaters.
What I like the most is you can hit areas that most lures cant penetrate. The fish see's the movement above them on the mat n bust them.
Its always nice to move them by open pockets, like ones you normally jig fish.
Each years dif, and I'll always keep a frog handy, have for years with the old tournament frog, but these newer ones with feet that kick are better.
Denny used the dean rohaus frog for couple of years and likes it alot.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 06:44 PM   #3
keithdog

JB, your comment eccos my experiences this year with frogs. Last year I did well with them. But this year was very ho hum. There were days when conditions were perfect, and my presentation was good, but no takers. I often ended up scratchin my head trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I didn't do nearly as well with my other plastics either. My top producing frog in the past has been the Yum Buzz Frog. What few bass I took off frogs this year were caught on the Spro. I know of one of the members in here who swears by the Scum frog, so I am going to pick up one or two to try this next year. I'm interrested in the Bigfoot floating frog, but I read a users comment on line who said he loved the frog, except that the legs would pull out. P&J, the thing about frogs is there are many kinds, and you can use them many ways. I caught a beautiful bass two years ago on a Yum Buzz frog that was just sitting on the bottom of the lake near shore under an overhang. I was busy trying to clear up a backlash. Once I had my reel back in order and began to reel my line back in, I felt the weight of the bass and set the hook home. So really, your imagination is the only thing that will hold you back from success with frogs. Buy a few differrent one's and try them out. Try different hook styles and retrieves. Maybe take one or two days and go out with nothing but froggin gear and see what proves to work for you.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 07:05 PM   #4
bassinbob

I've got 20 or so different brands of toad type baits. The one I always return to-the Horny Toad. It is not because I have more confidence in it, it is because it works. On pads-I use different types of retrieves. When I start if possible throw to open water beyond the pads. I'll start with a slow retrieve. I don't stop the cast unless I get bit. If bit and miss I'll cast just behind where the hit was. Most of the time they will hit again. If not try a senko type or creature bait in the same spot. If in a boat stay at least 20 or so feet away from the cover. Sometimes I let the bait sit on a pad then slowly pull them off swimming it to the next one. Sometimes I let them sink over a pad and yo yo them. Outside the pads to open water bring them along the pads varring speeds. Also towards deeper water away from the pads deadstick them. Then bring the bait back at a mid to a little fast speed. My best results with tournament type frogs is a steady retrieve. Weeds and slop-I cast onto shore to start if possible. Lots of times there is a space between where the cover starts and I have had good results just before the cover starts. Sometimes drop the bait close to shore making a splash. When they hit it like this it is a rush. Weeds and grass a med retrieve. Thick slop a slow retrieve. Now if they bump the bait trying to stun it stop the retrieve and wait for a second hit. You probably have read where you need to wait after the bass has had time to take the bait. I used to do this but now I strike back as soon as possible. Why I do is because I have started to use the Horny Toad screw in hook and it just works better for me. I have used a few different rods for frogs from a Kistler LTA mh to a St Croix premier heavy to a regular frog rod. All 7ft or better. I use braid most of the time. In clearer water and not where I would loose the bait I use Stren Magna -Flex. Also one similiar bait I use with very good results is the Strike King King Rat. I'll usually cast them as far into the pads or slop as I can and hold on. For this I make sure I use 50lb or more braid and my St Croix heavy rod. If bit make sure you horse that baby or you're either going to hang up or have to take the boat into the pads to get it out. Try different colors.
Old 12-02-07, 07:45 PM   #5
zooker

funny you mention the frog.-story to follow-
i work a frog fast and throughly.. unlike a buzzbait were you can space your cast 8-10 feet apart. it is a MUCH smaller strike zone on a frog. i normally space my cast 4-5 feet apart.to me speed is not the key but the stopping/pausing lenth is more critical. i work the frog on top quite a bit like you would a soft jerkbait. keeping the rod tip at 10-11 o'clock,this allows you time to reel down and rip it home.massive hooksets are a most have. unlike a crankbait keeping the bass on top is the best way to fight them..

as i tend to fish heavy cover -hydrilla,millfoil,lilly's,and asian day flower- i use a long, stout rod.-7'3'' foot heavy action-heavy braid -30 pound minimum- a high speed reel. -6.3 extreme lefty-i find that COVER is key more so here on the east coast. if they is no weeds at or very near the surface don't use it. i have YET to catch a bass on a frog on high rock lake as it lacks weeds..

i actually used a flippin stick for a while learning to work a frog.before i switched to a frog stick-after talking with deacon-after i switched to my currant stick i took and advanced lesson in the back of a western pro's boat.. those guys are VERY good with a frog. even the guy i fished with -he fished i took notes- could not get an open water strike here on the east coast..

now the rest of the frog story. december 2nd-today- water temps were 52 degrees. i CAUGHT 4 bass on a FROG!! they were short but they were bass. no pic's as it was a tourny..
btw 1.12 pounds won i came in second with a 1.11 pound fish- it was a diffacult day..

zooker
Old 12-03-07, 07:30 AM   #6
ESipes_89
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via MSN to ESipes_89

P N J,

The way Zooker stated is exactly how it's done but, you don't always have to use them over slop and heavy cover. Nor, does it have to be a relatively calm day. I picked up the "Scum Frog Popper" early this year and it has become my go to top-water in many instances.

When you first start to work the heavy cover you never want to throw right on top. You always want to start by throwing a spook, popper, or some other top-water bait along the edge first. Throwing on top of the cover immediately can spook bass. With the "Scum Frog Popper" you don't have to change baits or pick up another rod. It has a lip molded in similar to popping baits that gives it that extra noise and water displacement.

Normally when your fishing in wind more than 15mph a frog bait is out of the question and if you want to catch fish on top you normally would throw a popper or buzzbait because of their high noise level. If you wan't to throw a frog over the slop on these days, or in open water for that matter, the "Scum Frog Popper" is always a sure thing.

There is a wide diversity of frog baits out there and you should try several before you find one you have confidence in, but for me, the "Scum Frog Popper" is my favorite.

-Eric
Old 12-03-07, 11:54 AM   #7
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I had pretty good success this year with the Horney Toad but my frog of choice is the Spro Bronze Eye frog. It works most excellent in the green scum on top as well as pads. The hook up ratio is pretty decent. I let them have it for a 2 count before I drill em. I mainly twitch it kind of fast for several feet and kill it. Then repeat. If it's around pads I'll kill it in an opening. I fish the frog with a 7' MH All Star rod with 50# braid. Braid is a must. I have to say I love fishing that frog "Kermit"!
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 08:10 PM   #8
weaverml34

Have any of you guys been able to "walk the dog" with a topwater frog? I thought I read somewhere that it was one of the techniques for fishing the Spro Bronzeye Frog but I haven't been able to do it. Granted my "walking the dog" skills aren't the greatest. I worked on my technique and was decent at walking a Zara Spook but it would take me a little while to get my rhythm.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 08:56 PM   #9
garry_3000

Try to cut one leg about 3/4 in shorter than other leg this will create drag to one side.
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 09:07 PM   #10
zooker

weaver
say WHAT?? walk the dawg?? with a frawg?? -ok now i will HAVE to try that... will let you know how dat works..

zooker
Old 12-05-07, 11:13 PM   #11
garry_3000

Zook yes you can walk an frog just like an spook it will take some practice but it can be done.
Old 12-06-07, 01:33 AM   #12
bassinbob

Walk the frog. Any other novel methods anyone know of? I wonder if tandem frogs would work?
Old 12-06-07, 12:58 PM   #13
garry_3000

Funny that you mention that I have thrown an dubble horny toad rig with one toad about one foot behind the other .
Old 12-06-07, 03:49 PM   #14
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I don't know who makes it but my dad bought a tandum frog deal and caught bass on it in his pond. He caught just as many on the front frog as the back one. One was yellow and the other was black.
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 10:17 PM   #15
pig n jig

Could some one tell me how youtie up a double frog rig ? Is it like a daisy chain rig for saltwater fishing ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 09:53 PM   #16
garry_3000

The way that I rig mine is I take an three way swivile and tie your to leaders to it make shure that one it at least 12- 15 in behind the other so that they will work proper.
Old 12-09-07, 12:59 PM   #17
fluke
BassFishin.Com Member

i've also had luck hooking a small 4 to 6 worm nose hooked so that it ran between the legs.it makes the bait lok alittle bigger with out changing the leg action.has any one ever thought of using a swivel and a small willow leaf blade on the back with the hook going through the swivel before being hooked into the bait.it might add a little flash especially fishing murky water.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.