Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-09, 09:36 PM   #1
italian dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile fishing rods

Hello, fishing rods which r better one piece or two peice
italian dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 09:39 PM   #2
DonaldBreland

One Piece rods are better.
Old 08-15-09, 09:46 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Here's a way you can decide for yourself.

Buy a nice one-piece rod. Place it in your rod locker incorrectly, so that when you shut the door, you now have a two-piece rod. I guarantee you will wish you still had a one-piece rod. Question answered.

But seriously, two-piece rods are good if you're short of storage space or travelling, but if you have room (and can keep from breaking it...see above ) ...ALWAYS go with a one-piece. Just think..."opposite of women's bathing suits."
Old 08-15-09, 10:15 PM   #4
italian dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys for your respond
italian dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 12:28 AM   #5
DonaldBreland

Opposite of women's bathing suits. Thats funny.
Old 08-16-09, 07:18 AM   #6
Bassboss

1 piece! They're more sensitive and don't come apart when cast or fighting a fish like 2 piece rods will do! But if you travel a lot, or don't have a truck, than get 2 piece. They're much easier to store!
Old 08-16-09, 10:28 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If you have the room definately get a 1 piece. If not, the 2 piece are still a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
1 piece! They're more sensitive and don't come apart when cast or fighting a fish like 2 piece rods will do! But if you travel a lot, or don't have a truck, than get 2 piece. They're much easier to store!
bassboss, I don't what 2 piece rods you have, but if it is a decent rod, it shouldn't come apart. My Cabela's Fish Eagle II rod doesn't come apart when casting, or fighting fish, heck I can hardly tacke it apart when I want to! (but that's probably because I haven't taken it apart in like two years, lol)

BB
Old 08-16-09, 10:35 AM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
If you have the room definately get a 1 piece. If not, the 2 piece are still a good option.

bassboss, I don't what 2 piece rods you have, but if it is a decent rod, it shouldn't come apart. My Cabela's Fish Eagle II rod doesn't come apart when casting, or fighting fish, heck I can hardly tacke it apart when I want to! (but that's probably because I haven't taken it apart in like two years, lol)

BB
cheep-o 20$ combo I got a long time ago for gills!
Old 08-16-09, 11:35 AM   #9
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

A quality 2 piece rod will be just as sensitive as a one piece rod it also boils down to how much room you have in your vehicle if a two piece rod fits better than go with that ,

Jim
Old 08-16-09, 12:20 PM   #10
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

One piece are more sensitive, two piece are easier to transport.
Old 08-16-09, 10:31 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
A quality 2 piece rod will be just as sensitive as a one piece rod it also boils down to how much room you have in your vehicle if a two piece rod fits better than go with that ,

Jim
Well, it won't be 100% as sensitive, but would 90% be good enough? I'd say so, if compact-ness was a big concern. Heck, St. Croix sells those 4-piece "Rod Packs" that look like they'd be AWESOME to take back-packing in the mountains. They fit in a little roll-up baggie slightly bigger than a Pringles can hehe. (Pringles are good for backpacking too...my endorsement )

By the way, I used to use a 15', three-piece rod surf-fishing in New Smyrna Beach. Talk about casting a 4 oz. rig a mile...it was great. Well, unfortunately, it must have gotten wrapped around the tip one day, and when I cast, the line snapped, and it took the top 5' section out into the surf. I never got it back.... After that I switched to a 2-piece 12' rod, and started checking my rod tip before every cast hehe. So yes, they can indeed come off if you're not careful.
Old 08-17-09, 04:01 AM   #12
islandbass

Quote:

BB
BB144,

Until last Friday, I would have agreed with you until I saw it with my own eyes while fishing for salmon. I saw an angler make a cast and the upper-half flew off. I was stunned but you should have seen the look on his face. It was a combination of surprise and embarassment.

No, 2-piece rods, if properly assembled, should not fly apart even on the hardest casts. So I am inclined to believe that the poor guy probably didn't secure the two pieces together beforehand. It was an ugly stick.

There is no question if space is an issue, then go 2-piece.
Old 08-17-09, 04:13 PM   #13
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Here's a way you can decide for yourself.

Buy a nice one-piece rod. Place it in your rod locker incorrectly, so that when you shut the door, you now have a two-piece rod. I guarantee you will wish you still had a one-piece rod. Question answered.

But seriously, two-piece rods are good if you're short of storage space or travelling, but if you have room (and can keep from breaking it...see above ) ...ALWAYS go with a one-piece. Just think..."opposite of women's bathing suits."

Completely agree. Just like a pool stick, the less pieces the better. Buuuuuuuut.......just like my pool stick, my rods are 2 piece.
Lack of storage being the issue. My boat is extremely small although it is bigger than the trunk of my car. The 2 places I carry my rods.
Since I have a plan to buy a Tracker in the next year- year and a half, I'm going with 1 piece from now on. I'll deal with the carrying issues for a year or so in the meantime
Old 08-17-09, 04:15 PM   #14
MallenManson

Quote:

BB

How do you like that rod? Cabelas has them on sale, or maybe it's ended by now
Old 08-17-09, 11:45 PM   #15
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

I tried to free a buddies stuck worm in a cold river.... oops the top half fell off. He didnt have it tightened down. Boy i felt like an idiot. So i cast a big ole treble hook for about 15 minutes until I snagged an eyelet. Other than that story, and some fish slime on the hands making breaking down the 2pc near impossible, the 2pc works for me. Admittedly, I do get aggravated when i see the eyelets dont match up quite perfectly.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 02:16 PM   #16
MallenManson

[QUOTE=RandyHolt;263851]I tried to free a buddies stuck worm in a cold river.... oops the top half fell off. He didnt have it tightened down. Boy i felt like an idiot. So i cast a big ole treble hook for about 15 minutes until I snagged an eyelet. Other than that story, and some fish slime on the hands making breaking down the 2pc near impossible, the 2pc works for me. Admittedly, I do get aggravated when i see the eyelets dont match up quite perfectly.[/QUOTE]

LOL! Been there, done that! Cast a bait out and notice they're outta whack. Usually that's followed by a "Now how in the....."
Old 08-18-09, 03:36 PM   #17
islandbass

Yeah, me too. When that happens, I use that as the opportunity to refasten the two pieces to prevent the top from accidentally coming off. It was a trip to see that guy's top half fly off. If he hooked into a pink salmon, it would have been one heck of a fight.
Old 08-19-09, 05:32 PM   #18
Jim80

I have cast the top half of my spinning rod into water and had to retrieve it usually cursing the whole time about needing to check it before an outing and I have seen people just lose their rod mid cast and send it into the water .

Jim

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.