Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-11, 11:20 PM   #1
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Non-Boater Tournament Opportunities

It is looking like I am going to be boatless at least 1 more year. I currently fish as a non-boater in a BASS club and want to find other ways to get on the water outside of me renting a canoe from the local livery (which is a very viable option, but I am looking for something that gets the competitive juices flowing).

I have been researching some local setups and found the following.

1) FLW BFL (Hoosier Region)
2) FLW Indiana State Federation open tournaments
3) BASS Ohio Bass Federation Nation open tournaments

Anybody have thoughts about these, or something similar to these in your region?

Tony

Last edited by CiK; 01-24-11 at 11:38 PM.
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 11:33 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

All of the trails that you are considering are pretty dang good organizations. Around here a lot of people loved the BFL's. A lot of guys still really like them but I believe they had some kind of train wreck last year and a lot of guys got upset and left. I am sure that it was an isolated incident and even if it wasn't your division is under a different tournament director so I am sure you would be fine. The only other trail you might want to check into is the Bassmaster Weekend Series.
Old 01-24-11, 11:43 PM   #3
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

http://www.abaproam.com/2011_schedule_by_division.php
http://www.abaproam.com/

Only 5 tourneys in Ohio, but I do know they have a Co-angler setup where the boat you go out with will change each day of the tourney. Read up on them. They might be for you.

Btw- These links will take you to the Bassmaster weekend series C-rig mentioned.
Old 01-25-11, 01:06 AM   #4
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I fished a bfl as a co-angler several years ago on Kentucky lake and had a great experience. The "quality" of the experience you have is very dependent upon the boater that you draw. If I had not started fishing some club tourneys as a co-angler, I would have fished a lot more bfl events.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 08:03 AM   #5
walkeraviator

I have heard great things about the BFL Mountain Division. If I ever get good at fishing those deep clear lakes liek Dale Hollow, Cumberland, and Laurel... Im gonna give that a try.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 12:42 PM   #6
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it. I think I am going to try the BFL's. For those that have fished those, can you share your experience with signing up? Is there anything special I need to do?

Tony
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 06:31 PM   #7
MIbasser

I know a lot of guys that fish the BFL's here in Michigan and they like them. I think you need to find a boater to sign up. Not 100% sure though.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 02:46 AM   #8
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
I know a lot of guys that fish the BFL's here in Michigan and they like them. I think you need to find a boater to sign up. Not 100% sure though.
Most trails like the BFL's or Weekend Series don't require you to sign up with a boater. However you can link with one which is a guarentee that you will be able to fish the tournament. You can sign up without a link but if there are more co-anglers than boaters you may get left out, if you sign up with a link you shouldn't have to worry about this. And by signing up with a link doesn't mean you will be fishing with the boater you linked with either, it's just your foot in the door so to speak.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.