Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-09, 02:51 PM   #1
TnTom
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Casting Accuracy Part III

How accurately do you cast?

How many times out of 20 casts can you put a bait inside a 12" target ring / box at : 10,20,30 yds?

Using your favorite set-up take 10 warm up cast then cast for score.
Please report what you used and the conditions.
Don't make any changes once you begin.

If I could get some volunteers I'll take your data and compile it and see what it might mean. If everyone is using something different it is still good data.

If someone else would volunteer to compile the same data it would be interesting to see if the the determinations are the same. It'll take a while.Hey NoFear you busy?

Last edited by TnTom; 10-17-09 at 03:01 PM.
TnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-09, 03:22 PM   #2
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I actually did this out of curiosity in what I call "cul de sac" casting. I used a spare flower pot.

In the beginning, after not fishing over the winter (done in the spring), it was apparent that accuracy was virtually not there, likely the result of being rusty. 1-3 in the pot for every 10 casts and they weren't consecutive either. The starting distance was 25'.

As I developed the feel, I got up to 5-7 out of 10 of which 3-6 might have been consecutive.

To your one question about one rod possibly being more accurate than another, I am inclined to believe as others have mentioned that it is the angler that influences accuracy.

I even switched rods and it only took a few casts to "adjust" to the feel of the other rod to attain the about the same level of accuracy. So my experiences leans to support angler influence a greater factor in accuracy over the rod itself.

Changing the reel showed a similar following.

For some of us that don't in the south, we could make this a winter project.

If it matters, the casts (pitches) were not made from an elevated platform. I don't fish from a boat and since all of my pitches must be made from ground level, I do not give myself the luxury of casting from an elevated position. As with the accuracy deal, once the mind a body adapt, the point of being on the ground or slight elevated is a moot point anyway.

Last edited by islandbass; 10-17-09 at 03:30 PM.
islandbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-09, 03:59 PM   #3
muddy

Never took a count, but I fish most of the time from a boat, and Im OK with my consitency.

Accuracy is way more important than distance for me, I would say I am highly accurate at 35 yards, and hardly ever fish situations casting longer than that

PS I have a compromised shoulder

Last edited by muddy; 10-17-09 at 04:15 PM.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-09, 04:06 PM   #4
TnTom

If you do happen to do the trial casting just use whatever you would like.

I.B. I usually find the same thing. I might not be on target initially but can change my footing and dial it in. sort of lol

Hope over a while I can get some volunteers and collect some actual data at the 3 distances. That would be the only constant. Anything else goes.
Old 10-18-09, 10:26 AM   #5
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

Been practicing for many years of casting a floating frog in thick cover with small openings. These small holes are anywhere from a few inches to maybe a foot across. Depending on the size of the mat I might have to pitch the frog into one hole and then make a long cast across the mat to get to the next hole or a pocket. Years of practice, the right equipment, and an educated thumb have allowed me to hit most targets most of the time. Another thing to add to the casting equation is wind, making long casts and using "Kentucky windage" takes a lot of practice to master. Not to brag, but my tournament partner will either eat his lunch or fish off the other side of the boat when I get the chance to fish a mat.

Had to laugh at the practicing in the winter part of another post. I drive my wife nuts during the winter working on my pitching across two rooms and down the hallway. Have been doing this for years.
Old 10-18-09, 10:31 AM   #6
muddy

Hey Tn, I am an old man and forget a lot, but if you remind me I will participate come the spring. I am curious if I do cast as well as I think I do.
Hey Baron , once the winter comes, Im on couch detail, Ice fishing is something the OTHER GUYS DO
Old 10-18-09, 05:18 PM   #7
TnTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
Hey Tn, I am an old man and forget a lot, but if you remind me I will participate come the spring. I am curious if I do cast as well as I think I do.
Hey Baron , once the winter comes, Im on couch detail, Ice fishing is something the OTHER GUYS DO
Hey Muddy
Old??? Your going to have to remind me to remind you, now that's old

I was outside today and tried it. BAD 10 yds 30%
If I counted the 2 that bounced off the edge , 50%.
Never even tried 20 or 30 yds. 1/2 oz spinnerbait, homemade 6'6"MF 14# mono, Shimano Chronarch.
If the circle were maybe (gold pan is 15") 36" probably 70%, trying to think how we could enter our results in a table that everyone could access. I'll figure out something. Any suggestions. I could make an Excel spread sheet but not sure how to make it available to every one. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10 yd cast 001.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	4390   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 yd cast 002.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	4391   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 yd cast 003.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	4392  

Last edited by TnTom; 10-18-09 at 05:30 PM.
TnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-09, 05:32 PM   #8
muddy

I am a computer idiot

I am on here so much becuase I blew out my shoulder and have to refrain from casting til spring to avoid surgery. I am out til spring. I am just taking a course in Excel, for work so If I think of anything Ill let you know.

I think it will also be cool to chat this for 2 reasons

1. Fellas who get new rods , to see how long it take them to get used to it ( action and power a must to know)

2. Fellas like me, who live up North and experience the hard water, I would love to see how we do from ice out, mid season and fall

I think we should all throw at the same type of target and from the same 3 distances/my.02

Last edited by muddy; 10-18-09 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-18-09, 09:14 PM   #9
TnTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
I am a computer idiot

I am on here so much becuase I blew out my shoulder and have to refrain from casting til spring to avoid surgery. I am out til spring. I am just taking a course in Excel, for work so If I think of anything Ill let you know.

I think it will also be cool to chat this for 2 reasons

1. Fellas who get new rods , to see how long it take them to get used to it ( action and power a must to know)

2. Fellas like me, who live up North and experience the hard water, I would love to see how we do from ice out, mid season and fall

I think we should all throw at the same type of target and from the same 3 distances/my.02
Muddy ask one of your I.T. guys at work. I can make the sheet and anyone who wants to play can just plug in the results. It's be real simple and fun to look at. If someone wants to measure their improvement it would all be right there.

I thought I would be a little tighter and I've found, I do this a couple time a week at about 30', that if Im out there for an hour instead of 10 minutes I can do a little more better

10yds, 20yds, 30yds and about a 15" circle. I'll track it and we figure out how to publish it. report results of 20 casts. unlimited warm up well maybe 30 minutes. (hey muddy try it left handed)

I like your suggestion. I'll start another " Casting Accuracy Results Thread" just to keep track until we can figure out another tracking method. (sounds like the dang govt. transparency )
Old 11-04-09, 07:08 PM   #10
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

In the recent FLW mag. one of the pros talked about cutting the bottom out of 5 gallon bucket and practice skipping through the bucket. Since I live in the desert I have more than the norm concrete around my swimming pool. I practice skipping with a plug and added the bucket drill. This falls into practicing for accuracy but also skipping into a target zone. I practice skipping into the bucket starting from 15 to 30’. I can’t skip 30’ but the further I move back obviously the less distance through the bucket. But since I am lucky enough to have a brand new boat this fall and lots of time off I have been on the water 6 out of 7 days. The drills have improved my on water casting. I am going over the Delta for the last two weeks this month which is where the accuracy will come in to play. Much more cover there than in this crap hole they call Lake Mead.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.