Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-10, 04:53 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Checked out crankbait rods today at BPS

Well I wasn't able to check out everything I wanted to but got to check out several different ones. All the rods I'm looking at are 7 foot crankbait specific rods. The ones I was most impressed with were the red KVD Tour Crankbait rod, St Croix Premier Glass Crankbait, the Skeet Reese Crankbait rod, and the Shimano Compre rod. The Compre unfortunately was not the exact version I wanted to see, and they didn't even have the Crucial crankbait rod which was the one I also really wanted to see.

The St Croix was actually more impressive than I expected. Good action and feel, but 2 less eyes than the Skeet Reese rod. The Skeet Reese rod really felt good, although it felt a bit too noodleish so to speak for a large deep diving crankbait which is what I plan to use this rod for. But it also felt like it had the guts to take a heavy load. Just not too sure about the VERY flexible action with a large crank. It was much more flexable than the other MH action rods I looked at. The KVD Tour rod no doubt would be a very good choice. I thought it looked like a broom stick at first. Looks huge and fat! But that must be due to it's color of bright red. When I held it side by side to the St Croix Premier glass rod, and the Skeet Resse rod, the 3 rods were very close in actual size, though very different in action. Unfortunately they didn't have any Falcon rods in the house, which is just as well as I don't want to spend $200.00 on a rod, although I'd love to have the one Reb told me about.

The Shimano Compre had a much narower blank that I expected. Not that that is a bad thing. I just wish they had the 7' MH version there to check out. I was not at all impressed with the Mojo rods from St Croix as far as a crankin rod goes. I really wanted to look at an American Rodsmith too, but they didnt have any. UGH!!! One rod I looked at which I was suprised with was the BPS Carbonlite rod. Although not identified as a crankbait rod persay, the 7' MH-fast action model felt suprisingly good. Note..I don't mind the power hump as I know others do. Although the rod is a fast action rod, it had what felt more like a MF action tip to it. Anyways, my search is still on, and I got to play while it rained outside. Bought myself a new Redhead hat, a Strike King #4 crankbait and a KVD 1/4oz. bluegill pattern swim jig. Now it's time to get that steak cookin!

Last edited by keithdog; 06-12-10 at 04:59 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-10, 06:26 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I guess the only logical question is which one are ya gonna pick ? btw great report thanks

Jim
Old 06-12-10, 06:57 PM   #3
bcklash

Keith, if the lightning holds off in the morning we'll be able to give you a report on the Skeet Reese 7'10" crankbait rod. It does feel noodleish (is this a word- lol) but I bet you can cast a crankbait a mile which is a plus when deep crankin.
Old 06-12-10, 07:26 PM   #4
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Keith, if the lightning holds off in the morning we'll be able to give you a report on the Skeet Reese 7'10" crankbait rod. It does feel noodleish (is this a word- lol) but I bet you can cast a crankbait a mile which is a plus when deep crankin.
I was wondering about "noodleish" myself, haha. Looking foreward to your report.
Old 06-12-10, 09:54 PM   #5
Rebbasser

Well, you can tell we are bass fishermen. when you say "noodlish" we know exactly what you are talking about!

Keith-had a thought, sent you a PM
Old 06-12-10, 10:21 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Thanks for posting your findings Keith. May be in the market for a crankbait rod myself in the future (not anytime soon though, lol). My 7' M M works great for shallow cranks, but is stressed when throwing deep divers and heavier medium divers.

BB
Old 06-13-10, 07:05 AM   #7
Bender

I played around with the red KVD rods at probably the same store that you went to in Portage. I agree, they look HUGE! But they aren't heavy and felt really good. If I get in the market for a deep cranking rod I'll have to look at those again.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 08:30 AM   #8
bassboogieman

If you're looking at rods in the $100 range, I am going to say it again - there is NO BETTER rod right now for that price than a Kistler ARGON. On close out these rods are a steal. This is the rod I use for deep cranks, I absolutely love it - and I PAID $229 for mine directly from Kistler. I've bought from this dealer and he's great to deal with. For $99 - you can buy any number of rods - but they WILL NOT be in the same league as this stick. It will also do very well with the smaller swim baits like the Strike King or True Tungston baits in the 4" - 5" sizes. http://cgi.ebay.com/KISTLER-ARGON-AF...item35a9124673
I really do use the Argon crankbait series of rods, actually added another of the 6'9" rods a couple months ago. The big 7'9" rod is on the left.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-13-10 at 09:06 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 09:34 PM   #9
MIbasser

Keith, I have two of the KVD Tour crankbait rods. Both of them are 7' but one is a M and the other is a MH. I use the MH with a Revo Winch for the DD22's and the M for pretty much everything else. I really like them both, however I don't use the MH rod very often.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 10:40 AM   #10
walkeraviator

we use "buggy whip" instead of noodleish for describing crank bait rods round these parts...

back before crankbait specific rods started to be designed my uncle would by spinning rods and use em upside down w/ his baitcasters....
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 06:04 PM   #11
keithdog

I'm leaning towards the St Croix Premier crankbait rod in graphite. I checked it out and it's got a great action and feel, 5 year warrenty, and is right where I want to be as far as cost. The 7' MH MOD model.
Old 06-17-10, 04:41 PM   #12
fish_hunter
BassFishin.Com Member

bcklash - the Skeet Reese rods are great! I love how flexible they are, and you bet ya! Those crankbaits soar! Which is good for deeper waters and handles heavier baits! I love mine
fish_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 05:15 PM   #13
BassMan83
BassFishin.Com Member

I have the BPS Carbonlite in 7' Med. Mod. for my crankbaits. The rod is light and flexible. Ive used it with DT20's and the like and it works great. The whip-like action throws the lure far and the moderate action keeps them buttoned. I have yet had a fish throw a lure with this rod.
BassMan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 10:55 PM   #14
tomegun
BassFishin.Com Member

I got 4 St Croix's, 2 Loomis' and a KVD. I've been using the St Croix's alot more cuz they are easier on my hands, neck, and back. Caught Pike, largemouth, smallies, rainbows, browns, and cutthroats with my St Croix's.
tomegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-10, 04:02 PM   #15
keithdog

Picked up my new rod today. The St Croix 7' MHM. Will let you know how it performs. Feels great in the hands for sure!
Old 06-19-10, 04:54 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Congrats Keith, I love new tackle, even if it's not mine.

BB
Old 06-19-10, 10:38 PM   #17
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Congrats Keith, I love new tackle, even if it's not mine.

BB
OH MY!!!! only 18 yrs old and already a junkie--a bait and tackle junkie--ain't it great!!!

Keith we still haven't tried the Skeet Reese rod yet (motor problems).
Let us know how your new rod feels to ya.
Old 06-19-10, 11:57 PM   #18
Jrob78

Quote:
OH MY!!!! only 18 yrs old and already a junkie--a bait and tackle junkie--ain't it great!!!

Trust me, BigBassin has it worse than most.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 08:53 AM   #19
BigBassin144

Quote:

Ron, send me the Skeet Reese rod. I'd be happy to test it for you; I've even got a reel that may match it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Trust me, BigBassin has it worse than most.
Worse than most, yes. Worse than Bryce, no.

BB
Old 06-20-10, 09:16 AM   #20
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Picked up my new rod today. The St Croix 7' MHM. Will let you know how it performs. Feels great in the hands for sure!
Sweet Keith! Congrats on the rod!

What reel you got for it!
Old 06-20-10, 12:05 PM   #21
keithdog

Quote:

I'll let ya kow as soon as I can. Looks to be next weekend before I'll get to work it out.
Old 06-20-10, 12:08 PM   #22
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Sweet Keith! Congrats on the rod!

What reel you got for it!
I've got it paired up with my BPS David Fritts 4.7:1 ratio casting reel. It's spooled with 12 pound Sufix Elite mono.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.