Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-09, 03:18 PM   #1
RHoy185
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Looking for a new spinning rod

I have been fishing for about 2 years now and recently bought my first "high-end" rig, Shimano Citica on a St. Croix Triumph. Now its time to upgrade my spinning set-up, currently I am using a Pflueger President on a 5'6" Ugly Stick LA 2-piece. I would like a higher quality rod, 6' ML one-piece. Having a hard time finding those exact specs, anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!
RHoy185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 03:36 PM   #2
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

What price range you looking at?
Old 07-18-09, 04:00 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

An upgrade form an ugly stick would definately be a good idea. Keep the reel though, those pflueger president's are nice reels and great for the price.

Honestly, if you're bass fishing, I'd go to a longer and heavier rod. Maybe a 6'6" M. a 6' ML may be hard to find in name brand rods. If you really want that length try looking at a store's brand. Like Cabela's, BPS, Gander Mtn, etc. I think those rods tend to have more to choose from than other brands.

But if you'd be willing to go to a longer and heavier rod, check out the Shimano Compre rods. I'm prett sure you'd be able to find a 6'6" M rod in that series. That or check out the Falcon LowRiders.

BB
Old 07-18-09, 04:49 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

check with tim at tigerodz, i bet he can fix you up and his rods are the best quality you can ask for.
Old 07-18-09, 07:10 PM   #5
RHoy185
BassFishin.Com Member

Def keeping the Pflueger, and the only reason I am looking for a 6' is I keep finding myself in tight fishing spots from shore that make it hard to cast out with a longer pole (I know the extra six inches isn't too much but maybe its a psychological thing). I have been looking around at some of the store brands you mentioned, anyone have any experience with the Bass Pro Qualifier or Bionic Blade?
RHoy185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 07:13 PM   #6
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Haven't used, but have heard nothing but good things about the bionic blade
Old 07-18-09, 08:02 PM   #7
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait View Post
Haven't used, but have heard nothing but good things about the bionic blade

Good suggestion. There are several BPS Bionic Blades in the 6 foot range. And they are a decent rod. The BPS Extreme rod is another option. The Extreme Woo Davis Series has a 6 foot medium action one piece. And I agree with bigbassin, I think you should go heavier with say a medium action over med light.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 09:02 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've got a couple BPS rods, but both are trigger rods. They are decent rods, just a bit tip heavy and I don't care for the power hump grip. But the spinning rods don't have that grip, and you shouldn't have the heavy tip problem with a spinning rod, especially a 6' M rod.

BB
Old 07-19-09, 12:41 PM   #9
JerseyFisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you wanna go a little longer, around 7', check of the st.croix mojo bass rods, thats what I recently got and I love it. It definitely performs like a top tier rod and its only $90. What else can you expect from st. croix?
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-09, 04:41 PM   #10
basser101
BassFishin.Com Member

RHoy185
I used to use Berkley rods but I found that All Star puts out an IM10 graphite which means the sensitivity is unbelievable. For my spinning outfit I use the 6'6" Med action. For the money you can't beat em.
Old 07-19-09, 07:51 PM   #11
Bassboss

My bros got the same reel, only he got the combo! The rod feels great from what I've handled of it! It's IM 8 graphite, so it's pretty dern sensitive!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.