Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-09, 06:20 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Magneseum Reel Care

Having just purchased my first magneseum reel (Pflueger Supreme 8030), I was wondering what special things do you need to do to maintain a Magneseum reel.

I've read you need to wipe them off after each fishing trip to dry them. Is this true? What else is there? Any special things need to be done when doing yearly maintenance?

Thanks,

BB
Old 07-13-09, 11:37 PM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

As far as I know there is nothing special you need to do, but I only know the Chronarch Mg. From what I hear the first ones had big problems with saltwater, but they used a different coating on the later ones. I don't think you will have any problems in freshwater with it.

Let me know how you like it, I've been eying one.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 10:40 AM   #3
BigBassin144

Ok thanks bender. As for the supreme. I'm really liking it so far, but haven't go to use it too much. I don't know if I like the line I have on it though, and might switch it to braid. The line has quite a bit of twist and I don't know if its just the line or the reel. And being magneseum, it's very light, the 8030 is only 7.4 oz.

BB
Old 07-14-09, 11:37 AM   #4
NorthernAngler
BassFishin.Com Member

I have the Chronarch 50 Mg and have had no problems with it. The only thing I would suggest is to watch the boat rash, if the protective coating is damaged you might run into problems.

side note: the reel is so light it feels like a plastic toy, but hangs with the big boys
NorthernAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 01:06 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Ok thanks. As soon as I get enough money, I'm going to get some reel covers, maybe I'll get a spinning one. I think the neoprene ones do a great job protecting the reels.

BB
Old 07-15-09, 12:26 PM   #6
Raul

Magnesium reels I own:

Chronarch Mg
Scorpion Mg
TDZ
Liberto Pixy
Core

Nothing special about care other than not fishing them in salt/brackish water, now, if you want to keep it good looking get a reel cover to reduce boat rash.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 02:48 PM   #7
bassboogieman

I have 3 Supremes (2 - 8030 and 1 -8035). Super nice reels. The Mg does not like salt, and though they have a "protective coating", I rinse mine after every use. I'd be particularry carefull if you use them in tidal water. Salt also comes from many things like plastic baits and the sweat from your hands, so an ounce of prevention will keep them looking and performing their best for years to come. Enjoy the new toy.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.