Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-09, 07:14 PM   #1
bigjim
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default inconsistent weather & the bite

im in the chicago area and so far this summer has been crummy as far as weather. 3 days will be in the 80's then it will drop to barley 70 for a day or 2, then back up to mid 90's then back to low 80's..

could this be the reason why fish havent really been that active consistently?
cause the bites been real slow up here at most of the lakes and ponds.
even during peak times like early dawn and dusk
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 07:31 PM   #2
swimbaitkid

it just makes the fish move around alot,from what I know
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 07:44 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

bigjim, its not your imagination its going on here in the Midwest too (Dayton Ohio) ever since the spawn was over the fish pulled off the bank and are stacked up and not much biting going on compared to this time last year, the bite was really on.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 07:52 PM   #4
bigjim

thats what i thought JB. up till spawn i was catching alot more then it just went dead, all i could come up with for a reason was the weather. sure hope it changes and it picks up
Old 07-16-09, 08:00 PM   #5
swimbaitkid

you have to get off the bank where they have been pounded on so far this year,look deeper and usually if they are fresh off the spawn,you can catch fish that are on isolated logs,anything off the bank where they can hang out and recover(brush piles,rock piles)
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 01:31 AM   #6
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Fishing has been really tough around here lately too. On top of the temps dipping into the high 40s on some nights the water levels are way down too. I've been fishing from 1' to 20', mostly off shore summer stuff and the fish just don't seem to want to hit anything moving. I've found a split shot rig with a double tail hula grub or a wacky rigged stick worm to produce the most fish, with the dreadful presentation of "deadstick".
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 03:07 PM   #7
bigjim

is it the same scenario vise -versa , going from cooler weather to warmer? ..either way, how long does it take for the fish to get back to their normal routine once the weather stabalizes.? a day or two?
what im thinking is, if the weathers constantly changing the way it has been(either up or down) & the fish need a day or 2 to adjust ,the bites constantly going to be off or if your lucky to get 1 decent day a week around here
i wanted to go out today fishing, but then went outside and its about 15 deg. cooler than it was yesterday with a strong wind. just said screw it.
Really starting to hate the midwest
Old 07-17-09, 05:39 PM   #8
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Hah. I hear you all. Same over here. The fish just aren't in their summertime structure spots as well as usual. That's all I've noticed...other than the terrible cold fronts we get every 5 days. It was just in the 90s over here like two days ago and it was 55F all day today
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 06:38 PM   #9
JB

I guess I need to get out the ball and chain and force myself to carolina rig only where I graph fish.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 11:10 PM   #10
crankybait

oh good... so its not just me
Old 07-19-09, 12:41 PM   #11
keithdog

I got out yesterday morning and conditions were perfect! Overcast skies, light breeze, cooler temps, only one other boat on the water besides myself. And the bass were chasing smaller fish at the surface. Only problem, they were not hitting worth a darn. From 6AM untill 11AM I only boated 4 bass. But then the sun came out and the skies cleared to bright mid day sun and the wind started really blowing. But thats when the bass bite kicked into high gear. Go figure!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.