Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-11, 05:50 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Should I lead or not?

On an earlier post of mine, something to do with top water fishing, and I mentioned that I sometimes use a tieable wire leader to avoid pike bite offs. I was told to try floro leader.

This concept no matter how often I analyze it, still is hard for me to understand.
First, won't a hooked pike and the thrashing they like to throw, even once in the boat, can't it and wouldn't it be able to bite the floro and cut the line. Are we talking about real heavy floro 30lb. plus or what? Plus floro sinks, so wouldn't it be counter productive for top water?
Then I heard, use a mono leader. Other than not sinking whats the difference. Mono as a rule is less abrasion resistance so would cut easier, right? The fear of bite offs is why I can't rationalize buying Riccos and other ultra poppers (ultra expensive).
So will someone explain the concept to me?
The leader is being tied to braid. And now while I think about it. People frequently complain or at least comment on the difficulty of hook ups using hollow frogs. Dosn't using braid have more of a tendency to pull a bait out of the fishes mouth. Simiilar to cranking and the use of fiberclass and glass rods so there is more forgiveness and less chance of pulling bait out of the fishes mouth. Yet, I rarely hear of people using the same logic for frogging. True most use fast action poles and that may soften the original pull at set but thats pretty limited.
Anyway thats todays dilemma.
Thank you for your help and good fishing to all.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.