Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-11, 09:41 PM   #1
DougV
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Almost felt like I was Cheating....

Here is a couple images of what I found. Bass munching on shad. Almost felt guilty...NOT!

DougV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 10:08 PM   #2
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i can never find this stuff on mine.ive about went back to fishing just like i used to and not even going by anything i see. sometimes ill go by an obvious huge laydown tree and not so much as a blip on the screen.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 10:34 PM   #3
DougV

What are your Settings? THis Video might help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV-Rh8wXTY0
Old 03-20-11, 10:53 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

that is cool man. question though. is it possible to zoom in on this stuff when youa re out there?
Old 03-20-11, 11:03 PM   #5
Embrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV View Post
What are your Settings? THis Video might help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV-Rh8wXTY0
truthfully, i cant remember. i had it all jacked up and finally just reset everything back to stock. cant really figure out why a huge laydown tree would just go unnoticed either no matter what the setting?

EDIT...just watched that and my screen speed is turned way up. ill try turning that down and trying it.
Old 03-21-11, 09:37 AM   #6
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Stuff like that should show up pretty clear. Even after using mine for a couple years, I watched Doug's video and it helped me.

Doug, I never saw anything like that up north where I am used to fishing. I was on Guntersville a few weeks ago and found HUGE schools of shad like that but all we caught out of them was sheephead. What did you find to be a good technique for fishing something like that?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 12:29 PM   #7
DougV

I caught some on a LuckyCraft Pointer and others on Crankbaits. Water is just warmign up and fish are following channels back in the creeks...lots of fish in the channels so it makes it easy to find them as they transition back.
Old 03-21-11, 08:09 PM   #8
Embrey

that did the trick. worked a lot better and clearer. before it would have a lot of blobs instead of being real defined like it should be. now i just remembered another problem though. any of you ever have yours go wacko and show random depths from 2-500 ft deep and depth is flashing? it happens mostly when less than 10ft deep but not always. my old unit on the front doesnt do this until i get in about 2-3ft of water, but even then, it just flashes sometimes. this thing is going up to 500ft and jumping all around. if i go out to deeper water, it usually is ok again.
Old 03-21-11, 08:42 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Have you updated it recently, Embrey? I remember there was an early patch that had something to do with that very problem. Mine was doing it a little before I patched it.
Old 03-21-11, 08:56 PM   #10
Embrey

no, and i have no idea how i can do that? its been fine since last summer when i bought it. only within the last month it has started doing this.its kind of annoying when a good readout is happening and then it freezes and starts flashing 487ft.lol
Old 03-21-11, 09:00 PM   #11
nofearengineer

I know exactly what you mean. In 2-3 feet of water, all of a sudden it's 500 feet deep.

If yours only recently started doing that, I wouldn't rule out a bad transducer. I'm not sure how old yours is, but my first transducer went bad after a month or two. Humminbird replaced it fast, almost no questions asked.
Old 03-21-11, 09:04 PM   #12
Embrey

thats what im afraid of... im on my 3rd temp wire for my old unit in a year. i knew better than to buy something electronic. its only about 9 months old. and its probably coincidence that it was only in shallow water today. the last time out i was at dale hollow in over 100 ft of water when it was doing it.
Old 03-21-11, 10:10 PM   #13
DougV

What Switchfire Mode are you using? Switchfire Clear Mode should be used in shallow water since it allows the unit to automatically adjust power to hold bottom readings better. Also make sure you have the latest update, Humminbird continually iproves unit performances with new updates. Here's how to update software:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TZtvcpzQRM
Old 03-21-11, 10:20 PM   #14
Embrey

i havent changed it. its on clear.
Old 03-22-11, 09:56 PM   #15
DougV

Surface Clutter Setting? Need to be at least 5.
Old 03-23-11, 09:52 AM   #16
Embrey

ill try that next time out. i cant see that being it though since i havent messed with it and it just started doing it. maybe its the muddy water messing with it?
Old 03-23-11, 06:59 PM   #17
DougV

Water color has no effect on it...it's sonar and sonar doesn't know the difference in water color. But Surface Clutter has effects on the 2D Sonar performance.

Sounds like a day on the water learning the features and settings will pay you huge dividends in learning to master the unit to increase the data displayed so you can find what you need to be more success and reap the rewards of this technology. Here is a video I did on SI that helps others get started and learn how to maximize their investment in the technology: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCMLTlMDDGQ

It's like alot of things the more effort you put in the more you get out.
Old 03-23-11, 08:02 PM   #18
Embrey

yeah, im still messing with it at times. i just cant quit fishing long enough to change it around much, lol. i just mentioned the muddy water since it just started after we got all this rain last month up till now and everything is dirty everywhere. everything else is pretty good on the unit. i just never gave chart speed a thought. its putting out good clear stuff now since i watched that setting with my speed.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.