Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-11, 11:22 PM   #1
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Am I the only one?

I'll try to make this short. Lets say I'm fishing one of my high confidence private well managed 100 acre lakes.(that I've fished 100 times before) I've fished there 3 times in 10 days and have a good idea that I'll find them on steep rocky points and catch them on trick worms. Within an hour I find fish on those points and I'm catching them on those tricks. Great you say! BUT NO my mind starts flippin choices around in my head.You should be bumping a deep crank right on top of those mussell beds" no i got it "You need to throw a Rat L Trap by the rip rap at the dam" or "You're doing OK with this but if you'd go to the high side and pitch a jig to those laydowns you'd do even better" but the more i think about the water temp-water level and wind direction and speed "I'm convinced you should be dragging a carolina rig along the deep ledge" etc etc etc.
Now don't get me wrong I can be as focused and in the moment as anybody and more so than most but this self inflicted indecision or disatisfaction can be frustrating. Do any of yall ever second guess what you are doing just for the sake of maybe better weight or more numbers or just a funner way to fish??? If I am the only one...I fear it may be early onset dementia.

PS I understand the tournament mentality about "NEVER LEAVE FISH TO FIND FISH" but I am just fishing for fun.
Old 10-02-11, 01:01 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Do it all the time. Have the time it's something I don't have with me too!
Old 10-02-11, 01:51 AM   #3
joedog

Guilty as charged! Good example today. Shore fishing, carrying 3 rods, one has quarter oz. finese jig ( use normal or razor chunk for swiming), one has hard jerk bait (rapala x-rap slashbait) one has plastic worm (dinger 5 in.). Start with the jig, 2 casts and I'm thinking should of started with jerk bait, so back to shore switch poles take maybe 4 casts and I'm already thinking; with the worm, I can flick it ( like jerkbait, slow sink weightless, similar to slow fall of finese jig and then crawl it accross bottom) cover everything, so I switch poles again. I really dont think this is what Kevin was talking about in his first newsletter. I have actually thrown a lure and you know how you kind of mentally visulize on the retrieve what the lures doing, I have caught myself visualizing how a different lure would be acting if I would of thrown it instead. And I too can and do spend alot of time on one lure trying to perfect presentation for signifacant amounts of time. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this challenge!
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 09:43 AM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

It's the nature of the beast. I don't care if I am catching 50 fish an hour. I am always in overdrive thinking about what I could tweak or change to catch a little better fish. I tend to get in them and if they are hitting fast, I will change and see what else is working just to see if I can FOOL the bass.
Old 10-02-11, 10:29 AM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

What your describing is something I often do by choice. If I'm zero'd in on a good pattern and have been catching a good number of bass, I often decide to leave what I am doing in order to experiment. I release most of what I catch anyways. If I was fishing in a tournament I would probably stick with what I was doing. But since I don't, I take a moment like this to self educate. I KNOW how to catch them, but what if I do something else instead just to see if maybe the larger bass are over here or over there. I'll try a different tactic to see if THAT will also be successful. It's not because I can't stay focused on whats working. It's because I AM focused and want to experiment and learn what else could be working, and perhaps find the larger specimans. If I was just out to catch large numbers of bass I'd stick with plan one. But once I"ve accomplished that portion of my day and enjoyed a couple hours of landing fish, I expand my possibilities. Thats how one learns to be a better fisherman.
Old 10-02-11, 10:50 AM   #6
bcklash

That's a good time to try something you don't do often or very well. The best time learn something new is when they are biting so you can get the feel.
Old 10-02-11, 01:55 PM   #7
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
What your describing is something I often do by choice. If I'm zero'd in on a good pattern and have been catching a good number of bass, I often decide to leave what I am doing in order to experiment. I release most of what I catch anyways. If I was fishing in a tournament I would probably stick with what I was doing. But since I don't, I take a moment like this to self educate. I KNOW how to catch them, but what if I do something else instead just to see if maybe the larger bass are over here or over there. I'll try a different tactic to see if THAT will also be successful. It's not because I can't stay focused on whats working. It's because I AM focused and want to experiment and learn what else could be working, and perhaps find the larger specimans. If I was just out to catch large numbers of bass I'd stick with plan one. But once I"ve accomplished that portion of my day and enjoyed a couple hours of landing fish, I expand my possibilities. Thats how one learns to be a better fisherman.
I agree that some of the best diversity and confidence I've ever gained was when I gave in to those voices in my head and did as they suggested. But a lot of times I just wish they'd be quiet and let me fish. Reading your post makes me think about the times when I couldn't buy a bite using a technique that "should" be killing them, thats when the voices turn to screams and the real SELF EDUCATING needs to happen. When I change programs in the middle of a hot bite and the bite stays hot thats great but when they seem to have lock jaw or left town and you still manage to catch a mess that's when you get the feeling that you're making the transition from just an OK fisherman to maybe a little better than OK. Ken
Thanks for yalls input
Old 10-02-11, 04:33 PM   #8
hdmoorefootball
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I agree that some of the best diversity and confidence I've ever gained was when I gave in to those voices in my head and did as they suggested. But a lot of times I just wish they'd be quiet and let me fish. Reading your post makes me think about the times when I couldn't buy a bite using a technique that "should" be killing them, thats when the voices turn to screams and the real SELF EDUCATING needs to happen. When I change programs in the middle of a hot bite and the bite stays hot thats great but when they seem to have lock jaw or left town and you still manage to catch a mess that's when you get the feeling that you're making the transition from just an OK fisherman to maybe a little better than OK. Ken
Thanks for yalls input

This is true, pretty rewarding feeling having friends askin how you caught um and being able to give them accurate, original information!
hdmoorefootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 09:20 AM   #9
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

No matter how many rigged rods I have, covering every technique under the sun, I always "convince" myself that there is something else I could be fishing.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 11:37 PM   #10
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmatic View Post
no matter how many rigged rods i have, covering every technique under the sun, i always "convince" myself that there is something else i could be fishing.
that's it....kinda reminds me of the "frasier" episode where him and niles finally gain access to the gold spa only to find a platinum door

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.