Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-08, 09:32 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Post Although it may sound amateurish....

.... what should I look for in the 'Jig' part of a PNJ? Hook size? Colors? Weights? Rattles?

-Lunk-

Last edited by lunker-lander; 03-14-08 at 11:39 AM.
lunker-lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 10:47 PM   #2
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I think the term pig originated before plastic lures were made, and the jig trailers were make of pork skin like uncle josh that are still around today. Idk if this is what ur lookin for!?!?!?
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 10:58 PM   #3
fishin' fool

Ok.. i thoght about ur post... When I buy jigs, I consider the most important aspects: weight, stlye of head and position of the eye because that determins what cover it's made to be fished in, and skirt color. What is nice about jig trailers is that they come in so many size varieties, that I can use different sized trailers to help control the rate of fall for the conditions Im faced.
Good fishin
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 11:04 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Lunk, the "pig" part is the pork chunk, plastic chunk, craw, whatever otherwise known as the trailer. Don't overthink it.
Old 03-14-08, 12:33 AM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i like atleast a 3/0 on jigs up to 1/2oz. from there up i like at least a 4/0 or bigger. i really think that rattles aren't very important but if i use them i will add them to my trailer not the jig (the kind of rattle you would shove in a plastic lizard or whatever). the weight will depend on what you are trying to do with it. if you are just dragging it on the bottom then i like heavier jigs, for skipping or pitching i usually go with the lightest jig i can get away with (lighter jigs will skip better, and when pitching they will fall slower which i feel is a plus. experiment though because i have seen days when pitching a heavy jig would get bites when a lighter jig wouldn't (i think it was something about the way it was pounding on the bottom).
Old 03-14-08, 07:36 AM   #6
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
.... what should I look for in the 'Pig' part of a PNJ? Hook size? Colors? Weights? Rattles?

-Lunk-
Lunk, This is a pig doin' a Jig.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 09:19 AM   #7
bcklash

Carpman, I'm lmao. Image what lunker could catch with that.
Old 03-14-08, 11:34 AM   #8
Cranebird

Jeepers cats Lunk you already bought a ton of jigs not to long ago ?
Old 03-14-08, 11:40 AM   #9
lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Lunk, the "pig" part is the pork chunk, plastic chunk, craw, whatever otherwise known as the trailer. Don't overthink it.

OOPS! I meant 'Jig'

-Lunk-
Old 03-14-08, 01:27 PM   #10
Bob Smith

LL, your question needs to be broken out to include all the different places that you might fish a jig, and that should include the presentation method. For instance, if you are Pitching boat docks for instance I would suggest 3/8 oz to 1/2 oz simply because they are easier to pitch (thus making for more accurate presentations), the size usually means around a 3/0 hook size. Now if I were easing down a shoreline with some brush, over hanging limbs and fairly steep drop on the bank, I might use a "flipping" presentation. In which case I would probably go with a 1/4 oz set up in a bitsy jig with a 2/0 hook, or a 1/4 oz set up with a thick skirt and 3/0 hook for a slower fall rate on the jig. Another scenario may require fishing a rocky point or deep rocky hump, my go to would be 1/2 oz to 1 oz football head jig to minimize hangups in the rock, get the bait down quickly and tilt the trailer up and off the bottom. This usually comes with a 3/0 to 4/0 hook presentation. Finally penetrating thick grass mats requires a totally different jig head and weight. I have seen these up to 1 1/2 oz to 2 oz depending on the density of the grass. The grass penetrators usually have 3/0 to 4/0 hooks.

Hopefully I didn't overkill this topic? I think I targeted your question?
Old 03-14-08, 03:40 PM   #11
lunker-lander

Wow! Thanks for the answer, Bob!

Most of my fishing will be boat dock, shallow, sloping shorelines, isolated grass patches, and a little flippin' to stick and overhanging limbs like willows.

With all that said, what exact colors should I be looking for? I've heard about Black/Blue, Watermelon, Black/Chartreuse, etc. What should be my basics? Naturals first, then concentrate on exotics?

-Lunk-
Old 03-14-08, 05:35 PM   #12
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post

With all that said, what exact colors should I be looking for? I've heard about Black/Blue, Watermelon, Black/Chartreuse, etc. What should be my basics? Naturals first, then concentrate on exotics?

-Lunk-
There are several factors that govern the color you choose and the first three are water clarity, water clarity and water clarity! The next factor is prevailant forage and time of year. Forage will most likely be crawfish if you are working the jig slowly (baitfish if you swim the jig). the time of year usually dictates the crawfish color. Late fall to early spring the crawfish are very dark and appear almost black even in shallow water. Later in the spring they take on a greenish color often similar to Green Pumpkin, but in some waters this appears to be more of brownish hue like pumpkin. In the summer towards fall they will have more of the reddish claws and more mottled greens and browns and getting darker.

When the water is turbid and stained pretty bad I use the black and blues, black and chartreuses and similar colors for the trailers. Clearer water usually means I will use the natural colors in the greens, and browns. When I swim the jigs I am almost always throwing white on white.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-14-08, 06:11 PM   #13
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

One more huge part ! When you set the hook ...do it hard ...theres nothing worse then losing a fish on a jig !
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 06:24 PM   #14
Cranebird

Bob I am thinking that you should not be trying to set a universal craw color selection. C-Bird color chart
Old 03-14-08, 08:34 PM   #15
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranebird View Post
Bob I am thinking that you should not be trying to set a universal craw color selection. C-Bird color chart
Just general as it pertains to most bass fishing situations. Having lived in and bass fished in North and South Texas, Florida, Virginia, California, Tennessee and now Georgia, and fished Louisiana, Missippippi, Alabama, Arkansas and Oklahoma, Vermont and upper New York (Lake Chamblain). Those colors generally fit most situations. I am sure there is greater variance with the moulting stages and mineral content, but generally speaking that is a good indicator of how to choose colors.
Old 03-15-08, 10:49 AM   #16
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up

bob,,great advice you gave on the color selection,i use the same rule of thumb as you,,it seems to work 90% of the time for me,,not trying to hijack,,but does anyone else find it a lil scary that someone knows how to spell and even uses the word amateurish!!!!!
bassdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.