Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-12, 11:30 PM   #1
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Alright, Who Thinks This Is Better?

I was about to go and buy the 2011 Carbonblack reel at Bass Pro on sale, but then I saw a Cabelas ad with the older 2011 Quantum Kinetic PT. They are about the same price, so it's really just a matter of which is better. Please give me specific reasons why you think that a reel is better, because the "oh, quantum is better" or "bass pro reels are great" stuff doesn't really support your opinion well. Thanks, BFK
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 12:57 AM   #2
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I can't say that one or the other is better or worse. The carbon black has not been out long enough for me to have worked on a bunch and i don't know about it's long term durability. As for right now, there is only one current model BPS reel that I strongly favor and thats the pro qualifier. I know it's built well and i will be able to get internal parts for it even if BPS doesn't have them because almost everything swaps with revo parts. As for the kinetic, it comes with the quantum polymer cage bearings. Quantum thought this would be a better bearing. It's not. Quite the opposite, the poymer bearings just don't last and don't spin worth a hoot after a good amount of use. A professional tournament angler that I have spoke with about this hates the bearings in his reels as they only lasted about a month for him before they didn't cast very good and then needed oiled all the time. In just the past month i have worked on at least a dozen quantum reels with polymer bearings and none of them spin good. I replaced the bearings in most of these reels with boca bearings and the reels casted better than when new. Other than that, i don't have anything bad to say about the kinetic. The last thing i would add is that BPS has the best warranty on thier reels of anyone. If you live within drive distance of a bps, you can simply take your reel in for a no questions asked , over the counter exchange anytime during the first year. I even heard that they offer an extended 4 year program for a few extra bucks
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 09:11 AM   #3
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

That is interesting about quantum reels. I have a tour edition from last year and am now wondering if the bearings are the same type on it... Anyways, I am probably going to get the carbonblack just because. Thanks bfk
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 10:19 AM   #4
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Not sure about your store, but in the Michigan store, the Carbon Black is $69.97
on March 3rd
Old 03-02-12, 10:29 AM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If you can, handle them both and see which one feels the best to you. That way you know you got the right one.

I have both BPS and Quantum reels and would not hesitate recommending either brand. Just get the one that feels right to you.
Old 03-02-12, 01:45 PM   #6
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have the CarbonBlack (CB) and PQ. I was debating last week if I was going to trade in a reel for the PQ or wait 'til March 3rd and pick up another CB at that ridiculously low price. I decided to wait. But after fishing with my PQ for the past 3 days, I might still get another PQ while it’s on sale. Not as low as the CB but that PQ is a real beast and it cast like a dream. Whether it’s casting for distance or short throws and pitches, it just does what you want it to do with no problem. It’s like an employee that you trust to do what you need them to do and you don’t have any questions or doubts that it’s going to perform. I know these metaphors may be a bit much, but that’s just how impressed I am with the PQ in comparison to all other reels I have and use.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.