Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-10, 10:35 PM   #1
Old Hooker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question Stratos question

Why is a 186 XT only rated for a 115 when most other 18+ footers are rated for a 150 hp or better? Or the 176 XT at 75 hp? I have pretty much made up my mind on a 186 with a 115 E-TEC, but I am curious.
Old 10-05-10, 12:44 AM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I can't answer with 100% certainty, but I believe that it is a very light layup and designed more of an economy boat. For that reason they don't allow a bigger motor. I just looked and the 186 XT is only 200# lighter than the 285, so maybe I am wrong, but that is about the only thing I can figure. Also on the Stratos site it says the 285 is rated for 150, but I thought I heard that the 2010 model was rated for 175 again like the old Magnums and many other 18'6" boats.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 06:59 AM   #3
walkeraviator

Yeah its all about transom design on the 186XT. To save money on construction and design costs, they designed the transom a little more simple amd thinner(not the fiberglass thickness but the thickness of the actually mounting spot). You can visually see the difference just by looking at photos of the 285XL transom and the 186XT transom. I believe the HP limitation is based on 115 hp wont put as much torque on the transom as 150-hp. But honestly 115 should move that boat just fine.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 08:36 AM   #4
Bender

I agrees that a 115 should move that boat fine. If you are running really big water that tends to get rough you might want a heavier boat with a bigger motor but I don't think you would have any problem on most lakes with the 185. I've never fished out of one though.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 12:59 PM   #5
Old Hooker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I just got back from the local dealer (Damned boat monkey!) and I asked about it while I was there. Walker is right about the transom design. I was also told there is a formula the use. Hull length, width and depth are all figured into a formula that tells them the max hp a boat can take. The big difference between the Stratos 186 and 285 hull is the depth. I think for what I do with it the 115 will do just fine though.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.