Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-11, 09:01 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default going to buy one more expensive item 100-125 reel, whats he best

thats all the money i am gonna spend, well outside of need stuff. i have been hearng smoke, revo-curdo(sp?) so for my senko-toad rod, though the roa seems to stiff for senko fishing and toad, i am assuming frogging pole. anyway whats a great reel in the LOW 100 dollar range. to make this rod and its techs work well.
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 09:17 PM   #2
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

The shimano curado is a nice reel that can be had at clearance prices in the lower 100 dollar range. you can usually find them in a couple different gear ratios, but they are probably limited now due to the clearance. You wont find a revo that cheap unless you buy used. I have them both and love both of them for different reasons, as they both have their place. If you are just looking to get a decent baitcaster I would look at the shimano citica, especially at the prices now. If you want to blow some money and upgrade, get the curado. Both would do just fine for a frogging rod
Old 08-25-11, 09:42 PM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Might take a look at the Pflueger Patriarch, if you don't mind the wide spool version, the price is good and it would make a good frog reel.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Pflue...age-PPTCR.html
Old 08-25-11, 09:44 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'll agree with the curado E7 at the price they can be found out right now.

But as far as non-sale reels, the lews speed spool reels reels are suppose to be fantastic reels across the board. In you price range, they've got 3 different reels to chose from.
Old 08-25-11, 10:38 PM   #5
pro reel

In your stated price range, i would try to get a curado E7. Cabellas and Academy have both been running sales on the clearance E reels. They both have them at $119 if they ahve any left. Check the online sites to see if they are still instock. The Curado has not always been my top pick at it's full retail price, but at the clearance price, it's hard to beat. The other reel i always recomend at this price level is a BPS pro Qualifier. Most every one i know that bought one of these loves it. I know of one or two people that got a dud when they bought one, but i see duds of every reel out there. If you get one of any reel and it doesn't seem to cast or crank as it should, send it back right away, they all let some duds slip through.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 10:43 PM   #6
wallywallace

thank you, i will look at them all, and keep the iseals flowing, ir will be at least 1 week before i got to bps AGAIN.. it is a bit of ways and have already been 3 times. not really a fan of ordering online but if i can get really great deals, will have to change my mind
Old 08-25-11, 11:00 PM   #7
Tavery5

If you are going to order on-line, I would wait until the end of next week, should be some goods sales with the Holiday.
Old 08-25-11, 11:19 PM   #8
wallywallace

cool, i am excited, i have mentioned this before, but damn before i found this site, i had about a grand saved for a rainy day, plus my poor cats have seen less of m line, but bass fishing is great. it like pringles

also my fingers were not ment for a tiny ipod to write
Old 08-26-11, 07:22 AM   #9
keithdog

Pro Reels recommendations are spot on, but I'm going to add another to the mix. I don't know if you would spend $129.00 but the Bass Pro Carbon Black reel would be another option I'd recommend. I purchased one this year and I couldn't be happier. I have 3 Pro Qualifiers and love those reels as well. The Carbon Black is a step up from the Por Qualifiers with a strong pound drag rating of 14 pounds. The one I purchased has been a very smooth dependable reel.
Old 08-26-11, 08:25 AM   #10
bassboogieman

Quote:
Might take a look at the Pflueger Patriarch, if you don't mind the wide spool version, the price is good and it would make a good frog reel.
+2. I actually just bought one of the wide spools because of the price. I have 5 of the regular spool Patriarch's and they are very good reels. There isn't much noticable difference between the wide spool and regular spool in the hand. It actually replaces the last (and only) Shimano reel (Japan's version of the Castaic) that I owned. The level wind crapped out, and I just replaced it reather than put any money in repairs. I am one of those rare birds that doesn't like Shimano reels.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-11, 04:45 PM   #11
Tavery5

I like the Shimano Curado, and at the sale price it is a very good deal. I do think that the Patriarch at 109 is a better deal, it has a better finish, dual brakeing and is very very smooth on the cast and retrieve. Just comes down to how you want to spend your money.
Old 08-26-11, 07:21 PM   #12
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I like the Shimano Curado, and at the sale price it is a very good deal. I do think that the Patriarch at 109 is a better deal, it has a better finish, dual brakeing and is very very smooth on the cast and retrieve. Just comes down to how you want to spend your money.
I didn't see that it was $109.00, that would be a heck of a good deal also. It's getting hard to keep up with all the good deals floating around on great reels.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-11, 08:04 PM   #13
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
I didn't see that it was $109.00, that would be a heck of a good deal also. It's getting hard to keep up with all the good deals floating around on great reels.
You ever notice Revos hardly ever go on sale.
Old 09-01-11, 12:51 AM   #14
HawksFan67
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
You ever notice Revos hardly ever go on sale.

I just pulled a Revo Winch off e-bay for $112.00 delivered. Can't wait to put it on my crankin rod.
HawksFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.