Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-06, 10:20 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default IB’s Father’s Day Surprise 06-18-2006

And a little story to share with all of you.

Well, after quite some time from not fishing, I finally had the chance to get out late yesterday evening. I had a choice to go early in the morning or later in the evening and I chose the latter because of a gut feeling.

My gut was also telling me that the changing weather conditions from blue bird skies to overcast and cooling might increase the likelihood that the bass might start to become negative or “turn off” so to speak. As a result, I figured going to drop shot mode might give me better odds.

I got to the lake at about 8:15 pm and the sun was well on its way to setting for the day but it was still quite bright. I brought my 3 usual rigs, (2 baitcast and 1 spinning) and I was a bit bummed out that there were still swimmers on the dock. They were playing where I wanted to work the drop shot. I was hoping that the cooling trend would have made them stop swimming earlier. That however wasn’t the case. Arrrgh!!

Strike 1.

I bided my time at the opposite end of the dock until they left, which was about 8:45 pm. I rigged Reaction Innovations Dirty Sanchez colored Flirt worm. I chose it because the water still had its green color. Shortly after adding one of Gman’s weights, I pitched it next to some pilings that separate the shallow and deeper swimming sections. I gave the worm a constant wiggling action, and shortly afterward, I felt the subtlest feeling at the end of the line. Unfortunately, I reacted like a deer in the headlights. My brain was telling me, “You’ve got a fish there. Do something, you idiot!!!!” It seemed like an eternity before my left hand started to crank in the line to set the hook. To make things worse, my drag was set too lightly to get a decent hook set. Moments later my bass busted the surface with a big splash at an angle that I could see her dark-green back and white belly simultaneously, and spat the worm. I lost the DS weight too.

Strike 2!

I was way beyond upset. It would have been the first bass of my season (which started on the last Saturday of April). In addition, the usual trend for me at my lake is that I have never been able to duplicate a hook up in the same day with the same lure. However, I was determined not to be denied this time.

Full count.

I quickly collected my composure, snipped off some line, and quickly retied a new hook and weight. The sun was practically gone by this time the water looked black. A quick check of my baits revealed I had nothing black or dark blue and the only thing I had dark were some of Joe S’ ZipIt worms. “Oh, yes,” I thought to myself, “This is my ticket and this IS going to nail me a bass.

I double checked my drag setting and pitched (yes, you can pitch with spinning gear, hee hee!) to a spot close to where I had the first strike. I don’t think it even took 15 seconds to feel it. It was not a tug not a thump but a sensation that something was on. This time I was ready and I picked up some line and added just enough tension to bend my rod. I could feel that the bass was upset as it started pulling line heading for the pilings. This was the biggest fish I ever had on my Lamiglas Certified Pro Drop Shot rod and I was very impressed. Its action was such that every time it headed for the pilings or under the dock, a slight move was all I needed to make to prevent her from going under (backbone, I believe) but yet the rod’s upper end flexed beautifully to protect my 6# line. It was a great mix of power, much like the little bear’s things, i.e., being, “just right.”

Back to the fight. My little hawg would not give up. She made about 4 decent runs, but she was foiled each time by my gear. I brought her as close to me as I could and lipped her. Even when I brought her up and lipped her, she was still feisty.

Let me tell you. I am just about one of the quietest guys you’ll ever know. I hardly even talk to anyone not because I’m stuck up but because I am more of a listener. But let me tell you. I was, “Iaconelli-ing” it so that the world could hear me, saying things like, “Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!! That’s what it’s all about, BABY! Bassins’ where it’s at!!! Yee hahhhh! I gots me a bass!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, BABY!!!!!” Throw in a couple of shouts, hoots and hollers and that just about sums up what I did and without any profanity.

I laid her down as gently as I could to take a photo of her so that I could quickly put her back. I was a bit bummed out that I was not going to have a picture with the hog up until I was about to put her back someone appeared and offered to take a photo. Right on! God is good all the time and all the time, God is good. So right after a couple of snaps she was returned to the water.

So forgive me for a lengthy post. The last bass I caught was back in October of last year and I can count my fishing outings this season on one hand, and each was no more than a couple hours in length. I didn’t have a scale but I am estimating that my bass was probably in the 3-4 lb range which is not big in most parts of the country, but that is big in my area. I’ll take any of your educated guesses.

In close I want to thank Joe S, GMan, and LR from the bottom of my heart. Joe, let me know if you wish to use any of this to aid you and Gman, your weights are excellent. LR, I know the Seaguar I used is not the same model you used, but I got some Seaguar based on your recommendations and I believe it was a factor in fooling the bass twice, something I’ve never been able to do. In addition not once did I feel it was going to break despite the wooden cover and being only 6# test.

Rod: 7’Lamiglas Certified Pro Drop Shot Special rod
Reel: Rapala SX 6i size 20 reel
Line: Seaguar Invisx Fluorcarbon 6#
Bait: Joe S’ ZipIt Worms, Red Bug color
Conditions: Change from Blue Skies to Overcast, about 9:00 pm 06-19-2006

Sincerely,

ib
Old 06-21-06, 01:48 PM   #2
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

good report..thanks.great catch.
Old 06-21-06, 07:37 PM   #3
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Outstanding report, and a wonderful Hawg. Very kewl indeed.

Lizards
Old 06-23-06, 03:14 AM   #4
islandbass

Thanks, guys. Unfotunately, I made some calculations and the bass is most likely closer to 3# than 4. The plano box was just over 14" and the bass is a bit longer than it so it could be even less than 3#! Oh well! She put up a good fight and she's still a hawg in my book and my waters.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.