Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-09, 11:16 AM   #1
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Santee Cooper

Going on vacation to Santee Cooper in May. Going to fish as much as the wife will let me. I have never bass fished there. I know the area is huge. I am just looking for any help at all. I am thinking the best thing will be to just get a guide the first day and then go on my own from there. Any input greatly appreciated.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 03:25 PM   #2
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I actually never bass fished it, which is kind of embarissing. But im sure you can find something... it looks amazing the first time you see the lake... so much cover. Just be careful, it can be really shallow and really dangerous. A fun thing to do would to rent a local catfishing guide. You can catch some huge catfish.(when i say local... i mean like ask around and look for signs in the front yard... it will be cheap and youll catch some big catfish)
Also im fishing there in a couple months so ill tell you then if you havent gone yet. Have fun.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 05:23 PM   #3
bcklash

Syd, 1st let me say I don't live far from you. I fish Philpott and SML all the time. Next time you go to Gander Mountain or Sportman's Warehouse pm Maybe we can hook up and tell a few lies. Now I've never fished Santee for bass but have fished for catfish alot, great fishery. We've caught has many 48 catfish in a day most over 15 lbs, some has big as 40lbs. You will love the place. I hear the bass fishing is just great there.
Old 01-29-09, 06:10 PM   #4
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default santee cooper

BCKLASH, yeah you're right down the road. I fish SML maiinly from either Bayrock, Penhook, or a ramp up on Scruggs Road. Can't remember name of it right now. My neices husband practically lives on Philpott. He has won a few tournaments there. But i don't do too good there. I guess my best thing would be to get a guide the first day and just concentrate on the spots he takes me after that day. Only going to be there a week. Haven't been on SML in about 3 months. Mainly weather but this time of year i am mostly smallmouth fishing. We put about 20 in the boat a couple of weeks. Nothing real big. They all ran 14-17 inches and 2 -3 pounds. When the bite turns on it is not uncommon to catch a citation everry once in awhile. (James River)If you ever see a bass tracker at Bayrock it is probably me.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 06:40 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

santee is massive.. gps is almost required on this lake.. water level will dictate where they are as for what works.. well that is a serious challenge on santee normally what is working "right here" aint working a mile away..the upper lake fishes completely differant than the lower lake. not to mention you can lock out into the byou which fishes WAY differantly than either of the lakes..

zooker
Old 01-29-09, 06:41 PM   #6
bcklash

Yea Philpott is tough, but beautiful (sp?)

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.