Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-09, 12:26 PM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Stretching Your Flourocarbon?

Hey guys, i have heard a few times now to give the flourocarbon on your reel a good stretch before using it on the water? I have heard to tie it to something sturdy, walk out a couple cast lengths and give it a good stretch? Does anybody do this, or heard of this? I am going to start fishing flouro this year, and was wondering if this is a good or bad thing to be doing?
Thanks

Ryan
Old 01-30-09, 12:33 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i haven't heard of it before
Old 01-30-09, 12:47 PM   #3
Raul

If you "stetch" flourocarbon itīs going to be stretched forever and ever, you will reduce the line diameter and make it weaker. Fluoro is not like nylon, you stretch nylon and it returns to itīs original length maintaining itīs elastic properties but fluoro doesnīt.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 12:51 PM   #4
doc

In my opinion that advice was not literally intended as "stretch it out". Floro has memory I would think that may help with the castability of the line, to pull some out tie it off and not stretch it but straighten.

I don't know for sure, but its my guess
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 12:56 PM   #5
BassBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
Does anybody do this, or heard of this? I am going to start fishing flouro this year, and was wondering if this is a good or bad thing to be doing?
Yep have read some folks suggested to stretches your fluoro if it has lot of memory or coils up easily. It is to reduce the problem and make casting smoother. I don't know if it a good or bad thing because I have never try it. If not stretching it the fish will so I don't see how harm it is.
Old 01-30-09, 01:12 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I would never do this. For one, it will weaken the fluorocarbon line, and like raul said, it will stay stetched. Fluoro carbon claims to not have a lot of stetch but in the Tackle Tour tests, most of the fluoros showed significant stretch.

BB
Old 01-30-09, 02:19 PM   #7
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBandit View Post
Yep have read some folks suggested to stretches your fluoro if it has lot of memory or coils up easily. It is to reduce the problem and make casting smoother. I don't know if it a good or bad thing because I have never try it. If not stretching it the fish will so I don't see how harm it is.
Exactly, this is one of those times when two words ( stretch and straighten ) means completely different things. To straighten line you run it between your thumb and index finger without pulling with strenght. If you pull with strenght and tension you actually stretch the line.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 02:26 PM   #8
cassidyta

If in the boat, I will usually start the morning by tossing out a top water lure and trolling it out pretty much a spool worth. I prefer to do it in a spot where I don't expect a TW strike. (Don't want a hit with all of the line out)
If I haven't been out in a while, I will reel it in about a quarter and add th eline conditioner. Repeat this process till is is straightened and conditioned.
From shore I go to a large spook and see how far back I can walk to repeat the process. Sometimes you may have to do this a couple of times since your 2nd cast should be further than the first and so on.
But like everyone says. I am trying to straighten, not stretch
I never try to stretch the line, just
Old 01-30-09, 03:33 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I use the KVD Line and Lure, and it works great. No need to stretch or straighten or whatever.

BB
Old 01-30-09, 03:43 PM   #10
scooter520
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Floro Straightning

I have found that it is best to take the reels i am going to use tommorow out, fill them with new Vicious Florocarbon, and take them for a ride. I will let all of my line float behind the boat (feed it out slow !) Idling away. Reel it up with slight pressure. This will help the line "lay" better, and also Unkink any twists from the manufacturing process. I will also condition the line as I reel it in. This will take 15 minutes to do ten rods, but it is worth it. I always do it at the end of the day to spinning reels, as these will twist up drop shotting. But NEVER strech your floro.....
Old 01-30-09, 07:19 PM   #11
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Hey Scooter! Welcome back buddy! Good to have another 'gander on the board!

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 09:46 PM   #12
rrw4258

Ok, thanks guys, sounds like a no go... i did not think something was right when i heard about it, but figured i would ask.

Ryan

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.