Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-09, 05:37 AM   #1
weezymagic
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to weezymagic
Default some new reels and rods

ok guys. bout to get a new job and ill have a bit extra cash. damn bait monkey wont let me do anything but listen. he beat up the tobacco monkey just this morning. anyways...

i got a st croix 6'6 med (i forget but its m or mh). it needs a reel. i was looking at the abu garcia revo stx or sx. money wont be as big of a deal for this first reel because the monkey tells me its ok. (i dont like to make him mad) Ive heard lots of positive comments on these 4 reels (hs included). i would like to know what you guys have to say on the topic.

thats part one
heres part two

im looking to advance my arsenal of r/r combos. I know that spin and baitcasters have their advantages and i have used both enough to be comfortable with them. so please offer your opinions on reels to buy. i eventually would like to have technique specific combos for optimal efficiency and performance. I would also like your opinions for rods. ive used ugly stix (who hasnt), st croix, field and stream. st croix is amazing. f/s is nothing that i saw too special. ugly is ugly. so please give me some opinions and i will probably look into atleast 1 combo for the upcoming year.

you guys might want to know that i fish mostly small lakes/ponds. i dont fish rivers. i might go once or twice to expand my horizon this year. same goes for giant lakes, i dont have a boat but will definitely be going on a few trips so i can use boats. i am on a basic to moderate level of all techniques so offer anything.
weezymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 08:44 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've heard many great things about most of the Revos. I am also a big fan of Daiwa reels.

For reels, like I said, Daiwa, Abu, Shimano. For spinning reels. Abu, Pflueger, Daiwa, Shimano.

For rod, I like Falcon, Shimano, Kistler, Daiwa, and of course, G.Loomis(but I can't afford any of those)

BB
Old 01-30-09, 09:06 AM   #3
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

you won't be dissappointed if you get a revo. i just got my 3rd and i love 'em. check ebay, you can find some deals.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 09:54 AM   #4
BigBassin144

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/the_be...pgZ50QQ_sopZ12 . Great deals on lots of abu reels. I bought my Skeet Reese from him. Fast shipping, and great prices. Haven't tried the reel out yet, but I'm sure it's good. You may have to wait for him to put the one you want up,I think he only does a few at a time.

BB
Old 01-30-09, 10:32 AM   #5
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezymagic View Post
ok guys. bout to get a new job and ill have a bit extra cash. damn bait monkey wont let me do anything but listen. he beat up the tobacco monkey just this morning. anyways...

i got a st croix 6'6 med (i forget but its m or mh). it needs a reel. i was looking at the abu garcia revo stx or sx. money wont be as big of a deal for this first reel because the monkey tells me its ok. (i dont like to make him mad) Ive heard lots of positive comments on these 4 reels (hs included). i would like to know what you guys have to say on the topic.

thats part one
heres part two

im looking to advance my arsenal of r/r combos. I know that spin and baitcasters have their advantages and i have used both enough to be comfortable with them. so please offer your opinions on reels to buy. i eventually would like to have technique specific combos for optimal efficiency and performance. I would also like your opinions for rods. ive used ugly stix (who hasnt), st croix, field and stream. st croix is amazing. f/s is nothing that i saw too special. ugly is ugly. so please give me some opinions and i will probably look into atleast 1 combo for the upcoming year.

you guys might want to know that i fish mostly small lakes/ponds. i dont fish rivers. i might go once or twice to expand my horizon this year. same goes for giant lakes, i dont have a boat but will definitely be going on a few trips so i can use boats. i am on a basic to moderate level of all techniques so offer anything.
Check your PM
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 02:50 PM   #6
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yeah revos are great reels and if there is no price barrier g-loomis rods are great
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 03:15 PM   #7
weezymagic

well. looks like im stickin with revos for a while.

can someone tell me the difference between sx, sxhs, stx, stxhx
Old 01-30-09, 03:24 PM   #8
lowrider

the hs means "high speed" - faster gear ratio
Old 01-30-09, 11:07 PM   #9
abu4600

For reels you cant go wrong with ABU Garcia and for rods Bass Pro extremes are good.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-09, 09:40 AM   #10
BigBassin144

The only thing with BPS rods are, make sure you absolutely like it before you commit to it. The power Hump Grip is something you may really like or hate. I kinda liked it when Iforst got my BPS rod, but after fishing with it a while, I don't. The other thing about BPS rods, is, IMO, they are heavy. And, the older ones don't have hook holders, which is stupid.

BB
Old 01-31-09, 09:44 AM   #11
lowrider

i agree 100% with what BB is saying. i have an extreme that is on my list to replace. wanna buy it?
Old 01-31-09, 09:48 AM   #12
BigBassin144

I'm adding a hook holder to my Pro Qualifier, then maybe selling it. Only used one season.

BB
Old 01-31-09, 09:50 AM   #13
lowrider

easiest thing to do, i think, is drill a small hole in the trigger. then just hook in there. won't be scratching up your rod if you worry about such things.
Old 01-31-09, 05:34 PM   #14
weezymagic

i get the hs. whats the difference between sx and stx, other than price
Old 01-31-09, 06:00 PM   #15
MIbasser

Take a look here....

http://www.abugarcia.com/prod.php?k=...=REVO%20SX_STX
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-09, 06:22 PM   #16
lowrider

mainly the infini-spool feature (stx and premier). it totally disengages the spool from the gears when you cast allowing for a little more distance and being able to use lighter baits.

my first one was the sx and i liked it so much i got a premier then a winch. an stx would be just a good as a premier to me. only diff between those 2 is a little weight...very little
Old 01-31-09, 07:16 PM   #17
weezymagic

1) how do you like the winch?
2) anyone know the site for e21 carrot stick? i cant find it
3) what would be everyones best rod pair for a revo stx? the first pair will be with a st croix 6"6 mh. i plan to get atleast one other reel so i need a rod. id say $150 without tax is my limit. please supply link with your pic so i can in depth look at it
Old 01-31-09, 07:20 PM   #18
lowrider

1. havn't fished it yet...not worried, i'll like it.
2. http://www.e21sports.com/fishing//pr...php?category=1
3 www.broutlawrods.com i've got a med and a heavy. good rods unbeatable warranty
Old 01-31-09, 07:23 PM   #19
weezymagic

im looking at link now. idk why i couldnt find the site. lol

what is the warranty?

im kinda new to shopping for rods. what is the significance of power and action?

Last edited by weezymagic; 01-31-09 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-02-09, 11:58 AM   #20
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

I'd take a look at the rods from AiRRUS. They have some very affordable sticks like the Co-Matrix 457 that you can get from Tackle Warehouse or under a hundred dollars. As far as reels go it is hard to beat a Revo. They are just that good.
TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 12:38 PM   #21
doc

Quote:
1)?
2) anyone know the site for e21 carrot stick? i cant find it
3)
Just got a 6'10 gold carrot stix and absolutely love the rod, Paired it with a revo and together they are so light it's almost scary. Havn't had the chance to catch a fish with it yet, but have thrown it a few times and I really like it.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 12:56 PM   #22
Wishing2BFishing

Once again, Shimano gets no love on this site.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 02:19 PM   #23
lowrider

Quote:
what is the warranty?

lifetime. and i don't mean the "limited" kind. they don't care how it gets broken, if you do break one send the broken rod and $50 to them and you get a new one. i know too cause i hung one of mine under a cleat on my boat. within 2 weeks i was holding a new rod no questions asked.
Old 02-02-09, 03:35 PM   #24
MississippiBoy

Quote:
im kinda new to shopping for rods. what is the significance of power and action?
Power and action are kinda the same thing. A rod is rated anywhere between extra light and extra heavy. So you have extra light, light, medium light, medium, medium heavy, heavy, and extra heavy rods. That refers to the backbone of a rod; how stiff it is, in other words. Use light rods for finesse presentations like weightless plastics, and heavy rods for frogging or jigging in lily pads, grasses, etc. A medium heavy rod is a good choice for an all-around jack of all trades. It's not perfect for everything, but it'll work for a lot of stuff.

Also, the speed of a rod is important. This reflects how much of the rod bends when stress is put on it. A fast tip will bend at the first 1/3 or so of the length, while a slow tip will bend farther back. The slower rods are good to use with lures that have treble hooks; the rod acts as a shock absorber to keep from tearing the hooks out. If you want to yank a fish out of cover quickly, you don't want a slow tip with a lot of bend, so go with a fast tip.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by MississippiBoy; 02-02-09 at 03:42 PM.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.