Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-09, 11:10 AM   #1
weezymagic
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to weezymagic
Default all-purpose

I'm getting a new baitcaster soon (revo stx). I need line for it. i dont know what to get though. mono is out becase its for topwater. do i go with braid and fluoro leaders or just fluoro? i will be using it for everything, gimme some advice
weezymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 11:55 AM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mono is actually your best choice for topwater. You want something that will float so the action of the lure won't be affected, so forget the fluoro. Braid floats, but you want a little stretch so the treble hooks won't pull out, so forget braid. Mono is the way to go.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 11:55 AM   #3
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Yours is almost a impossible question to answer. If it was for me, I'd use a Mono backing, then tie on 30 lb Sufix Preformence Braid, and then a 3-6 ft 12-17 lb leader depending on what your using it for. I use a 12 lb test leader most of the time, but I switch to a 17 lb leader if I'm working a creature bait or jig in and around a rocky bottom.
Old 02-03-09, 11:57 AM   #4
MIbasser

Ok, I'm not sure if I read it right or not, but you said mono is out because its for topwater. Mono is what you want to use for topwater. It floats and you get a better action. If you use fluoro, it will sink and really mess up your action and not make the bait work properly.

But if you are looking for a good all around like I like BPS 12lb Fluoro.

My $0.02
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 11:58 AM   #5
gizzardshad
BassFishin.Com Member

Some guys use mono for some topwater because it floats so well, like a sammy or spook.

If you're throwing everything..thats hard. I would say if you are fishing much grass at all to go ahead and put some braid on. No need for a leader for most applications, just tie on and go. This is perfect for frogs and and things like that.

For buzzbaits you can prob get away with braid, although I'd prefer fluoro. But if you use braid I think you will be fine just make sure you add a trailer hook.
gizzardshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 11:58 AM   #6
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Mono is actually your best choice for topwater. You want something that will float so the action of the lure won't be affected, so forget the fluoro. Braid floats, but you want a little stretch so the treble hooks won't pull out, so forget braid. Mono is the way to go.
I can't remember the lat time I ripped a treble hook out of a Bass's mouth. The leader helps, but I don't use a monster hookset with crankbaits, just a controlled pull back does the trick as the Bass generally hooks himself.
Old 02-03-09, 01:17 PM   #7
islandbass

Mono is perhaps the closest thing to an all around line if there ever was one. I like to use all three, depending on the application.

Joel,

Someone new to braid stands a very good chance of ripping a bait out of a fish's mouth until they see what zero or near zero stretch really means. The first time I used braid, I was face to face with a bass and watched her suck down my crankbait. It was awesome to see. I got too excited and pulled up to "set the hook" not realizing what no stretch really meant. My little yank was enough to pull the CB out of her mouth before it even had a chance to close. Yikes! I learned the hard way what zero stretch really means.

Like you, since then, I have never ever missed a treble hook caught bass because I now know what to do. I do it just as you described. Heck, it's hardly a hook set, because I rely more on keeping the trebles so sharp that they practically impale themselves.

But to the newbie to braid, learn from my loss and heed Joel's advice. Monster hooksets are not needed for treble hook lures.
Old 02-03-09, 01:22 PM   #8
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post

But to the newbie to braid, learn from my loss and heed Joel's advice. Monster hooksets are not needed for treble hook lures.
True, but they make for the best stories. One's that involve dodging (or at least trying to dodge) the flying lure!
Old 02-03-09, 02:01 PM   #9
Joel

IslandBass, Yep, we all learned that way. I learn more from my screw ups then my successes. I went back to Mono for topwater and spinnerbaits two years ago, what a disaster that was. Everything felt weird. I couldn't even cast with confidence! And when I did manage to hook a fish it felt like I had a big rubberband between me and the Bass. What stretch. Like you said, I just wasn't use to what it felt like.

My Braid technique is vastly different from most here. And I accept that. It works for me. I can even fish gin clear waters like Candlewood Conn and catch Bass. I just need a longer Mono leader.

Once you get a hands on for fishing with braid, it becomes easy to just use a slight measured hookset or none at all. Many times just keeping pressure on the fish while he/she hooks themselves is enough to set the hook. Sharp hooks are a must. I change hooks frequently and/or sharpen them. And I do carry a 3 inch file for just those times when the hooks needs a slight dressing.
Old 02-03-09, 02:03 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
i agree 100%
Old 02-03-09, 02:58 PM   #11
aikenyounggun

mono for spooks and sammys and most others.... but if our fishin a frog go with braid.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 06:15 PM   #12
weezymagic
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to weezymagic

i know monos topwater. when i said mono is out. i meant, i dont want it because i dont do much topwaters. and if i do, ill just switch to my other reel with mono. i guess, after reading, im going with braid and leaders (if the water is clear)
weezymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 06:33 PM   #13
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For topwaters, yes, use mono.

For everything else spinnerbaits, worms, finesse tactics, I use straight fluoro. Flippin'/pitchin' I use braid. I recomend Sufix Performance braid and Seaguar InvisX fluoro.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.