Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-09, 11:07 AM   #1
weezymagic
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to weezymagic
Default Rods

two questions...
1) what is rod power? m, mh, h, etc
2) what is action? fast, very fast, etc

looking for best all around rod and realized that i have no idea what these words mean
weezymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 11:53 AM   #2
gizzardshad
BassFishin.Com Member

1) rod power as you say is really the weight of the rod. all rods should have lure weight recommendations on them somewhere near the cork. a lot of people dont pay them much attention but its usually, but not always, best to stay within these.

2) rod action is basically much flex the rod has. A very fast rod will have a lot of flex, that is it will bend very easily when you shake it or set the hook. A slower rod will be much more stiff.

Someone else might can explain it better.
gizzardshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 01:06 PM   #3
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

1) A rod's power refers to the amount of effort it will take to load the rod. A light powered rod loads easily while a heavier rod takes more effort to load. Generally as the power increases, so do the line ratings and lure weight range of the rod. I don't think it has much or anything to do with a rod's weight but I could be mistaken.

2) A rod's action refers to how a rod flexes over its length. The location of the rod's flex point determines the "action" as we define it. A "fast" action rod will have this flex point (where the rod bends) in the upper third of the blank. To give you an illustration of this, click on the link below:

http://www.allstarrods.com/as_actiontaper.html

Hope it helps. For most a best "all around rod" would be one that has a medium to medium heavy power with at least a fast action with the rod length of your choice, say 6.5 - 7.5'. There really is no such thing as a can do everything for any application rod. I gave up looking.
Old 02-03-09, 06:11 PM   #4
weezymagic
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to weezymagic

lol. thanks. that answers my questions...

no need for other responses
weezymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 06:34 PM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

for genereal purpose use, I'd go with a 7' MH. You can use a 6'6" if you prefer shorter rods, but I prefer a 7' one.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.