Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-09, 08:16 PM   #1
wv basser
BassFishin.Com Member

Default man am i having problems!

fished a tournament today and for the last three weeks i cannot seem to hold a fish on the shakey head. i had 4 come off today and three last weekend. never had this problem all last year, but i didnt winter fish either.

my setup is a spot remover pro model, kut tail, shimano citica e, and a mojo bass, 7', med.

i dont know if they are not getting in their mouth good or not, but when i feel the tap i give it a sec before i set the hook.

what makes it bad today is 1 FISH won the tournament! the lake was still half froze and options were limited, but i am just disappointed because i fishing against a good group of guys and just couldnt get em the boat.

1 freaking fish, the guy won 400 dollars!
Old 02-01-09, 09:04 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

What size jig heads and baits? I am only a little bit familiar with the kut tail. The last time I had similar issues I had to this I had to go larger on my hooks because the bass were not getting the hooks very deep into their mouths. If the bait is big enough I would add a trailer hook. Also, are you exposing any hook? Based on the weather you are describing, you may be getting such a soft bite that they are not breaking through the bait.
Old 02-01-09, 09:17 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

take it easy wv, it'll get better. at least you weren't the ONLY one who didn't do good. take heart, shake it off and go again man. you'll get it together.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 09:31 PM   #4
MississippiBoy

Wait a second before you set the hook, like you're doing. When you do set it, don't give it a hard, cross-their-eyes type hookset like you would with a football jig or whatever. A good strong pull to the side, not straight up, is what works for me.
I tex-pose the hook on mine. Also, of course, be sure your hooks are razor sharp.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 09:48 PM   #5
Rebbasser

WV, you didn't mention line, and that may be the culprit. I had the same problem until I switched to braid with a fluoro leader. Made a big difference for me.
Old 02-01-09, 10:03 PM   #6
IS300n8
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to IS300n8

sorry this is off topic but how do you like the mojo rod, i have one on its way...
IS300n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 11:36 PM   #7
BassBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv basser View Post
my setup is a spot remover pro model, kut tail,

i dont know if they are not getting in their mouth good or not, but when i feel the tap i give it a sec before i set the hook.
I have a couple of spot remover and I imagine Yamamoto kut tail would be bit too thick for that small hook. I don't know if that was the problem OR you set it the hook too soon.

Either way, you fished hard and you will get better at it so keep at it. It not end of the world dude.
Old 02-01-09, 11:54 PM   #8
woody

I'm also wondering what type of line your using with your Medium action Rod.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 12:16 AM   #9
rangerryan

some times you have to let'em run with it for a ways and then you set the hook like you are trying to break their jaw the only time i dont set the hook like that is when im fishing a crank and then a sweeping hook set will do the trick.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 04:54 PM   #10
wv basser
BassFishin.Com Member

the mojo is awesome. i am getting ready to order the drop shot pole. for 90 bucks you cant beat them. light and very sensitive. i was using 100% berkley flouro.
Old 02-02-09, 05:08 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

i am not a shakey head guru by anymeans, in fact i really hate finesse fishing. i will do it when i have to but i am just not comfortable doing it. a few other things that might have made a difference.

did you down size the worm at all? if they weren't actually eating the worm, but rather just picking it up by its tail then you may have increased the chances of them getting the hook in their mouth better by giving them a shorter offering.

also for the same reason as above you could have switched to a jighead with a longer shank hook.

those are just some thoughts i had but don't get down, there are gonna be days like that now and then. just hang in there. last year my tournament season started off with me having a horrible slump that lasted for several months, but then i got on a roll and by the end of the year i was fishing the best i have ever fished.
Old 02-02-09, 05:14 PM   #12
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Carolina, you bring up a good point. It happens all the time, and when ever it happens to me i do what mike Iaconelli does, I am sure others do it, i just saw him do it first, take the same bait because it is working and cut a little off. He bites a little off, but its up to you. It has caught me the fish when they start to short bite.
Old 02-02-09, 07:37 PM   #13
pig n jig

I don't know but if you figure it out let me know.I had a day like that.I felt them there pulling back on the hookset but never got a hook point into them ? I think they hit it so hard,I couldn't get a hook set on the 6 lb test and 7' ML rod ?I am switching to a 6'6" ML and new 6 lb test line.Trying to weasel some overtime at work so I can buy a 6' rod. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 10:35 PM   #14
abu4600

I had the same problem the other day. I was using a lucky strike jig head with a screw lock on the jig head and it seemed like the screw lock wasn't letting the worm get up the hook on the hookset. I dont know if the spot remover has a screw lock or not but I do think that was my problem. I bought some strike king tour grade shakey heads and they have a bigger hook so I am going to use them.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 10:43 PM   #15
rangerryan

sometimes it helps to put the hook all the way through the worm and then skin hook it to hide the point also c-rig is right sometimes downsizing your worm or even changing color patterns.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 12:28 AM   #16
gizzardshad
BassFishin.Com Member

I dont know if anyone has suggested this, but if the bottom you are fishing allows why dont you switch to a jighead that would not require texas-rigging like the spot remover. I have several spots and i like them but for a softer bite like in the cold water it might help if your hook was exposed. Again, thats if you can afford to do so with the type of cover. good luck.
gizzardshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 06:52 PM   #17
BassBandit

Simple...

Thick plastic + small hook = no go

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.