Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-10, 06:54 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Inflatable boats?

I'm gonna try to get a job some where this summer. Hope fully I'll get at least 100 bucks from it. So I was looking around BPS at inflatable boats, in the 100$ price point, maybe a little more, I dunno.

So does anyone use an inflatable boat for fishing? Just ponds and maybe this chain of lakes. I'll just be paddling around, no motor unless I get enough cash.. probably wont though. How do inflatable boats handle in wind around 15mph, and less. And how's the fishability? Do they how's a 7 - 10 footer gonna Carrie 3 rods (I'll use one, have the others spare), tow 6'6" one 7'. And a decent size tackle bag? And is there anyway to get something to sit on in there? Maybe a lawn chair with some cloth around the legs so it wont puncture. Also if you could take some pics of your rig with all the stuff in it, that would be great as well!

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-31-10, 01:04 AM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've never fished from a inflatable boat but I am interested in getting a kayak to fish from. Check Craigslist often, some really good deals on boats of all kind pop up every now and then.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-10, 07:16 AM   #3
walkeraviator

i dont know if i would so a kayak, but definitely wouldnt touch an inflatable if i were fishing water in Southeast Florida... im just saying...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-10, 07:59 AM   #4
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
i dont know if i would so a kayak, but definitely wouldnt touch an inflatable if i were fishing water in Southeast Florida... im just saying...
you talking about out large toothy critters?!

They're not to much to worry about if you know what you're doing around them, and know when they want you to go! Gators will get you ESPECIALLY if you're you tourist, "GTFO off my water"
Old 05-31-10, 08:43 AM   #5
walkeraviator

I live din Central Florida for 6 years and would you believe i didnt fish teh Harris Chain one single time??? Hell I never fished farther than the lake behind our house.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-10, 08:48 AM   #6
tarpon120
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I agree with Jrob, check for a kayak on craigs or paper. Sit on top would be my pref, but my little brother does fine with a sit in. Good Luck
tarpon120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-10, 08:55 AM   #7
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
I live din Central Florida for 6 years and would you believe i didnt fish teh Harris Chain one single time??? Hell I never fished farther than the lake behind our house.
Wow! You musta not been into fishing much than 'eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpon120 View Post
I agree with Jrob, check for a kayak on craigs or paper. Sit on top would be my pref, but my little brother does fine with a sit in. Good Luck
I was looking on craigs list the other night as well, I found a sit in for 100. But like you said, sit on tops are better!
Old 05-31-10, 10:14 AM   #8
bamabassman

hey boss, here is an idea. i am serious too. seen it before. go get a tractor tire inner tube. tie on a hammock to it. get the idea? you can make yourself a floating rig pretty cheaply and be the envy of the river.
Old 05-31-10, 12:18 PM   #9
WTL

Get a kayak or possibly a canoe. DONT REPEAT MY MISTAKE WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE. I was in the same position, without a boat, Dad couldnt fish all the time, so I bought a sevylor inflatable boat. Waste of money. Fishability was poor, blew in the wind, but most of all, transporting it places was a son of a cuss cause it was so light, you had to spend 20 minutes tying it down and then untying it if you wanted to take it somewhere while it was inflated. And inflating the thing on the spot was a hassle too.

Again, get a kayak or maybe a canoe. I just bought a kayak 4 days ago for $130 off craigslist. It can be done, just add you local craigslist to the list of sites you visit each day and you will see a good deal somewhere.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-10, 02:00 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Inflatable + treble hooks = swimming trip.

Inflatable + treble hooks + gators = search and recovery trip.
Old 05-31-10, 03:06 PM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Inflatable + treble hooks = swimming trip.

Inflatable + treble hooks + gators = search and recovery trip.

My thoughts exactly. Get a decent fish in the boat, flops free, super duper surgically laser sharpened hooks, and pssssssssssss. You know for a hundred bucks, they are probably just a glorified pool float.
Old 05-31-10, 03:19 PM   #12
TN_Bassin

I would really look into a kayak from craigs list or maybe a canoe. Inflatable objects will work for a while till you get a few splinters in it, then it sinks and creates a lot bigger of a hassle.
Old 06-07-10, 11:19 PM   #13
nybass1
BassFishin.Com Member

Last year i bought the fish hunter 12 foot boat by sevylor andd i have to say i have really enjoyed it. Its easy to inflate and rigid enough for me to actually stand though im just a skinny 16 year old. Theres a lot of accessories for it too. Just my suggestion im sure there are tons of options.
nybass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 11:41 PM   #14
66KingFisher

I've had several personal fishing rigs over the years....From something that looked kinda like a lawn chair with pontoons on the sides, to inflatable boats an a two man bass buster style rig that I built from a factory blemished unit.

My experiences with the inflatable were not that great as I remember. The one we had was just the basic oval shaped raft....it was big enough for two guys and had two oars mounted midway. What we found right off the bat was that it was a beotch to row in a straight line....without some type of rudder or keel board you just seem to turn in circles with each stroke of the oars, so just crossing a small pond could be a hassle....Throw a slight breeze into the mix and your at the mercy of the mother nature....Forget any control in a 15mph wind....lol. After just a handful of times fighting the thing we gave it to the wife and kids to play in at the beach.....The lawnchair with pontoons worked waaaay better.....hahaha.

Unless the inflatable your lookin at has got some serious upgrades from the one we had I'd pass on it and look for something better.....at least something that'll glide in a straight line with each stroke of the paddle...lol.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 02:39 PM   #15
cassidyta

First of all, I would say get the job. Then allow your cash flow to determine your boat. I would be hesitant on any inflatable in the $100 range.
I have owned two over the more costly boats and they worked "okay". Like everyone has said, you will get blown around by the wind and you have to be carefull just how close you get to the stickups and rocks. I would be more likely to look at the kayak of canoe option myself. Another possibility would be to look at the pontoon style float tubes. You are still out of the water and they are actually more stable than the canoes.
If it is going to be used for ponds, then get some waders.
What ever option you choose, make sure that you take a couple of trips in it without the gear before tyring to learn how to row and fish at the same time.
Old 06-08-10, 03:23 PM   #16
Bassboss

Thanks for the info again guys!

Ny bass, I looked at the boat you mentioned, looks decent . I'd prolly only get the 8' but. We'll see.

And I was looking in the local news paper, and apparently some one someone needs some farm work done! Need an early bird though. No later than 6AM. Shouldn't be a problem since I gotta wake up at 5:30 during school. 50 bucks a "session", not sure what that means, but it's a 3 day job!

It would start next mouth sometime. I'll call 'em. We'll see how it goes! Wish me luck!
Old 08-30-11, 03:00 AM   #17
saturnrafts
BassFishin.Com Member

I have an inflatable and I have fished in an inflatable and have had no problems at all. I have heard of these kaboats which are a cross over between a boat and a kayak. You can stand up in it and use it as a fishing boat or put a motor on the back of it. Check it out, it’s from a brand made by Saturn.
saturnrafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-11, 10:46 AM   #18
nofearengineer

This thread is over a year old.
Old 08-30-11, 10:56 AM   #19
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnrafts View Post
I have an inflatable and I have fished in an inflatable and have had no problems at all. I have heard of these kaboats which are a cross over between a boat and a kayak. You can stand up in it and use it as a fishing boat or put a motor on the back of it. Check it out, it’s from a brand made by Saturn.
Obvious plug is obvious.....
Old 08-30-11, 10:58 AM   #20
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Obvious plug is obvious.....
obviously!

BB
Old 08-30-11, 03:20 PM   #21
jig fisherman

If you can find a used one an inflatable pontton is great, I recently bought one instead of a kayak because they're easier to transport, more stable, cheaper than a good fishing kayak, and best of all i can leave my feet in the water to maneuver while fishing, instead of having to pick up the paddle all of the time to position myself. And this is not a plug, i used my own money i earned while working and paid full price
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 12:14 AM   #22
oglejust

heres what me n dad did.. he had a 10 footer with seats sittin outside of his house for years (all my life and im 21) anyway we decided we wanted a boat. we found a 12 foot semi v and a 10 footer like dads for 150 bux. i listed the 2 10 footers on craigslist for 100 a piece. ended up sellin the seats for 40. so thats 240 bux. that covered out 150 and left us 90 bux. we bought 2 seats (25 a piece) and the swivels and mounts (10 a piece for swivels and 16 a piece for mounts) at this point we had a nice 12 foot semi v with nice seats and were into it 12 bux. i had a guy give me a trolling motor that needed a handle. 15 bux on ebay and were in buisness... we use this boat alllllll the time! we have 27 bux in it. obviously i lucked out but u need to look on craigslist, u can find a 10 or 12 foot aluminum boat for 100 bux or so. no trailer is needed for a boat this size either which makes it great.
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 10:36 AM   #23
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have a one man inflatable pontoon for about eight years now, that I used in smaller waterand non motorized lakes/ponds. Other than wind, which can be a hassle, they are far superior to all but the best fishing kayaks. Imho. I have modified mine with a foot controlled trolling motor, rod holders, fishfinder ect. all in all maybe $500 total investment.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 01:34 PM   #24
C DUDE
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't own an inflatable boat but I'm REALLY concidering getting a 'belly boat', I think that's what they're called.... They just like a whole lot of fun haha
Old 09-01-11, 01:48 PM   #25
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The problem I have with belly boats and kayaks are that you sit too low in the water. I like to see what I am fishing, and the 'toon let's me stand if I need to. Belly boats require waders and fins, and you have to fish moving backwards, so you're always looking over your shoulder, that's why I switched to a pontoon.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.