Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-08, 04:38 PM   #1
skeeterman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to skeeterman
Default really bad day yesterday

Yesterday morning my cousin and i went out fishing early in the morning.Everything was going well until we noticed some smoke coming from the gas and battery compartment.Opened the lid and got a face full of smoke after the smoke rushed out of the compartment i started to see flames.Now im panicing.Beating the fire with a rag i had there while my cousin went for the fire extingusher.I must have been in super mode.Because i put the fire out before the fire extingusher was even used.All my wires burned up bilge pump,both depth finders,livewell,all lights,and trolling motor wire and plugin Replaced all wires and got everything back up and running.The problem came from my trolling motor wire plug in .Some how it shorted and burnt everything.Im just thankful the flames never reached the tank it was full.But now i have a clicking noise coming from my engine at 3/4 throttle then it cuts off. Man i just don't know sometimes lol

Last edited by skeeterman; 06-08-08 at 04:47 PM.
skeeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 04:58 PM   #2
weaverml34

Skeeterman,

You were pretty fortunate. Glad your O.K.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 05:16 PM   #3
skeeterman

Thanks im really thankful it wasn't any worst
Old 06-08-08, 05:41 PM   #4
weaverml34

Just a little chemistry lesson for the next time you have a fire near a fuel source. Fuel in it's liquid form will not burn. Just like in an engine it takes fuel + air to make fire. You were actually better off to have a full fuel tank. There would have been little room for fuel to exist in it's gaseous form in the top of the tank. Now if you had a half full fuel tank and had some gas vapor in the top of the tank and it was under pressure and you add fire that's when you get explosion. Just like on the compression and ignition strokes of a four stroke engine.

When you're in a stressful situation like you were it's hard to process all of that. I think that the best thing you could have done was to pull the fuel hose out of the tank. That should prevent fire from being able to enter the tank through the fuel hose. Now if you find yourself in a situation where the fire is burning the fuel hose you need to get the gas cap off quick. If you can ventilate the tank the fire will burn inside the tank and probably shoot out the filler neck a little bit but it will prevent an explosion. That was too much. Chances are before you ever get to point where you have to ventilate the tank you've already extinguished the fire.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 08:03 PM   #5
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterman View Post
The problem came from my trolling motor wire plug in .Some how it shorted...
If you're referring to the TM plug in the bow, remember that it must be rotated after insertion in order to avoid gapping. One of the prongs has a side-ways projection, forming an "L", and that must be fully engaged.
I'm VERY glad you and your partner are safe and sound, not Krispy Kritters.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 08:43 PM   #6
skeeterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer6 View Post
If you're referring to the TM plug in the bow, remember that it must be rotated after insertion in order to avoid gapping. One of the prongs has a side-ways projection, forming an "L", and that must be fully engaged.
I'm VERY glad you and your partner are safe and sound, not Krispy Kritters.

L6
Thanks for that info.The problem was on the female plug in on the backside.
Old 06-08-08, 10:30 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

just glad that you are ok man. know the feeling about ol murphy's law and used boats.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 12:20 AM   #8
joecnc2006
BassFishin.Com Member

wow, glad everything is ok, and no one hurt.

good thing you caught it in time, and saved the boat, hate to see it gone I have the exact same one.

joe
joecnc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 06:30 AM   #9
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Skeeterman we need to set up a time in the eveing when we can go to the chat rooms and I will walk you through several things to do to eli,inate and pinpoint your problem. Gimme a time sometime after 6;00 pm Central time when you and I can hook up and I will help you out bud.
Old 06-10-08, 11:48 AM   #10
skeeterman

Thanks 1fastlaser i work in the afternoon from 2:00 pm til 12:00 pm eastern time.Anytime before or after would be great.But i think i have found my engine problem.I had two fouled plugs.I replaced it and that seems to have stopped the clicking noise for now.But my question is what could cause the carbon fouled plug to occur.Someone said a clogged air filter.But when i checked mine there was no filter whats so ever.I removed the cover from the carb and there was no filter at all just a plastic cover.I have a 1989 yamaha 50 pro.
Old 06-11-08, 05:25 AM   #11
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ok bud. Off the top of my head and mind you I am going by what you have posted...........Of course I cant get a wrench on that motor............here is what I see. You had a overheat problem and resolved that. Now you are experiencing a pinging noise and cleared that up with the change out of plugs. Carbon build up and a bad case is what I am seeing going on here. Time for a Shock treatment of SeaFoam. Mix up about a 1 or 1 1/2 gals,of fuel in a seperate tank. Dump in a can of Seafoam and run her on the muffs till she dies. Have a second can of seafoam and put it in a spray bottle. Take the hood off of the motor and while someone is trying to crank the engine with the kill switch pulled of courrse spray the carb throats very very liberally with the seafoam. Let sit over night. Pull the plugs clean em up and conect the fuel system back up. This should get you back on course again. The pinging noise you had was actually carbon buildup actually getting onto the plugs and the end result is actually called carbon knock. It can be very destructive to the engine. Thats the reason I push using Seafoam as a regular treatment especially for outboards and even more so on Mercurys. Mercury tolerances are very tight so any excessive material taking up space is very detrimental.
After doing the shock treatment put in a new set of plugs. Then go ahead and take your baby down to the lake and play wi her. You should find that she is pretty peppy and should respond to the throttle very well.
Old 06-11-08, 03:23 PM   #12
skeeterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
Ok bud. Off the top of my head and mind you I am going by what you have posted...........Of course I cant get a wrench on that motor............here is what I see. You had a overheat problem and resolved that. Now you are experiencing a pinging noise and cleared that up with the change out of plugs. Carbon build up and a bad case is what I am seeing going on here. Time for a Shock treatment of SeaFoam. Mix up about a 1 or 1 1/2 gals,of fuel in a seperate tank. Dump in a can of Seafoam and run her on the muffs till she dies. Have a second can of seafoam and put it in a spray bottle. Take the hood off of the motor and while someone is trying to crank the engine with the kill switch pulled of courrse spray the carb throats very very liberally with the seafoam. Let sit over night. Pull the plugs clean em up and conect the fuel system back up. This should get you back on course again. The pinging noise you had was actually carbon buildup actually getting onto the plugs and the end result is actually called carbon knock. It can be very destructive to the engine. Thats the reason I push using Seafoam as a regular treatment especially for outboards and even more so on Mercurys. Mercury tolerances are very tight so any excessive material taking up space is very detrimental.
After doing the shock treatment put in a new set of plugs. Then go ahead and take your baby down to the lake and play wi her. You should find that she is pretty peppy and should respond to the throttle very well.
Thanks 1fastlaser i will do exactly what you said to do.You just don't know how much i appreciate the help.I work on diesel trucks all day.But when it comes to boats im completely lost lol For future reference how often do i need to use seafoam on my engine?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.