Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-09, 03:05 AM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Jigs at MACH 5

As I have mentioned before, I am fortunate to have a fish pond on the same base where I work.
This has become one of my favorate spots to fish on that pond, but it has been one of the most frustrating as well. Since this is all shore fishing, I have lost many a jig, crank, and t-rigged plastic against the far bank in the picture. From shore to shore is about 40 foot and there are two downed trees that cover a steep slope that goes to about 15 foot.
Click image for larger version

Name:	East end of MRMR pond.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	3078

Well today I managed to save a jig, but am not sure that I really wanted to.
I had a cast that was about 3 foot to long. My 1/2 oz jig hooked a tullie quite well. Based off of my extensive practice in recovery of bad casts I knew that I needed to apply a constant pressure to the line (15 lbs P-Line floro) hoping that the hook would slide up the tullie and free itself. At first I was happy that my plan was going as designed, but that changed quickly.

I don't know which I found more suprising. There is the fact that a 1/2 jig can fly straight back at you from 43 feet with no arc at all, or the sound that a flying jig will make.
I have watched the matix and want to report , at least for me, that stuff does not work. As I replay this event in my head, I believe that remaining motionless would have been the right course of action. Of course that is not what I did. I did manage to side step just enough to feel the impact that a 1/2 oz jig will make against your chest. I am not to proud to admit that I may have yelled out in a manner not quite fitting for a man.
I am grateful that the hook never broke my skin, but the weight itself hurt like hell.
Old 01-28-09, 03:17 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

man that must have hurt. i hit a buddy in the leg one time with a 1/16oz crappie jig and it took his legs out from under him and he was wearing insulated bibs (it wasn't all my fault because he walked around behind me and i thought he was on my other side. i bet that a 1/2oz jig would have hurt like a big dog. glad you are ok though and thanks for sharing that entertaining story.
Old 01-28-09, 03:23 AM   #3
wareagledc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i've been nailed with a rattle trap like that and was lucky the hooks only stuck in my coveralls. its amazing how you seem to move right in the path of things flying at the speed of sound with hooks on them.
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 06:39 AM   #4
pig n jig

I fished a tournament where I had a jig hook buried in my thigh for like into 3 hours of the tournament when it came back and hit me on a missed hookset.The boater didn't dare pull the hook out so I duct taped the jig to keep it from flopping around in there and fished the rest of the tournament.I went to the emergency room after I weighed in and the doctor and nurses thought I was crazy. The string trick usually works but the person has to pushes down on the eye and pull from the bend of the hook.The big old jig barb stretched the skin as it hung up and the guy couldn't stomache to try a new attempt at it.Trebles and worm hooks pull quite easily, quikly and painless but for some reason the jig hook did its job by staying hooked up. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 08:21 AM   #5
woody

Cass, there are many of us Northerners that are laughing our arses off right now! LOL

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 08:25 AM   #6
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

cass always has the best stories. well, they are funny to US anyway.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 10:18 AM   #7
jcw1503

me and my two bro-in-laws were out fishing on the older ones 16 foot bass tracker, small for 3 grown adults, and the older was at the front and i was at the end and the younger one who is 18, so he is not too young but still young, was in the middle of us!!!!! the middle one got hit once in the chest and once in the jewels from the older brother.. the leg was a struck by a lure on a tree limb that was pulled off and the jewels was hit by a missed hooksets...i felt sorry for him, but after a few minutes of us laughing and him hurting he started back fishing!!!!!
Old 01-28-09, 10:33 AM   #8
BassBandit

Ouch. Must have left some bruise.

Hate to admit, back in my younger day, my partner and I were in local tournament he invited another guy in the boat with us. I warned him that its too much for us to be in 14' boat. While we were on the way to the weigh in I made a last cast for the day and the rattle trap 2 barbs buried in the back of scalp. Talk about huge backlash! He learned a hard lesson not to invite more people in the boat. 20+ years later we still laugh about it.
Old 01-28-09, 11:20 AM   #9
Bender

That happened to my buddy a few years ago. He was fishing a Stren event I think, down on Logan Martin. His boater thought he was KVD and had the TM on high cruising around. My buddy threw a horny toad and got it hung on a tree. The boater just kept going and when the frog let loose it came back at 150 MPH and whacked him right in the groin and knocked him down! I sure would like to have seen a video of that!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 12:58 PM   #10
3dkicker

Got to be careful on the water.

Cranky - What do you recommend??? C'mon Doc!
Old 01-28-09, 01:05 PM   #11
REDBULLCUBAN

Send a message via AIM to REDBULLCUBAN

can't say that hasnt happend to me lol
Old 01-28-09, 01:25 PM   #12
lowrider

3d, i'm no doctor, but my 1st reccommendation for that is MORPHINE!!
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 01:37 PM   #13
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Oh boy. Good story but that hurts. It happened to me with a rock and a lawnmower once. And I've been lucky enough to dodge flying jigs... most of the time.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 01:43 PM   #14
doc

Click image for larger version

Name:	fishhook_eye.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	3079

I've posted this before, but OUCH!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 03:02 PM   #15
abu4600

Cass, I bet it hurt like hell, glad your'e ok.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 03:05 PM   #16
aikenyounggun

Oh those pictures look like they hurt. but i have had everything from shaky heads to spooks hit me. The spook hooked my clothing but it hurt (partners hook set). i also hooked my brother in the arm when he was standing behind me and a rattle trap came out of the water on a hook set. Oops. He was angry, real angry.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 05:19 PM   #17
bcklash

My buddy didn't get hit by a lure or weight, the first time he used braid and set the hook with his finger still on the line, well let's just say I learned about 75 new words in about a 30 second tirade. I still lmao everytime we bring it up.
Old 01-28-09, 06:30 PM   #18
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hahahahahahahahahaha, i too am laughing my arse off. now tell da truth....did ya squeel like a girl? hahahahahahahaha, do the tippy toe dance trying to dodge it? hahahahahahahaha, i can see it now buddy.

and yep, been there, done that too. lmao.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 08:47 PM   #19
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

wear sunglasses at all times...tip number one.
TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.