Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-09, 09:53 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Steelhead and salmon?

Ya, the Florida boy asking this... who would thought!

First off, for those of you that don't know yet, it is very likely that I will move to Alaska... I guess the closest "big" city would be Anchorage!

Anyways, since there ain't gonna be a bit of bass up there, I'm gonna be fishing for salmon, steelies, trout, pike, and got knows what else up there!

I've joined an Alaska forum, but not much help from there! So I'm asking y'all! For those of you that are lucky 'nuf to fish for steelhead, and salmon, like IB. What is some of the tackle I'm gonna need? Just looking at videos and what not, I'm seeing that my 6 1/2, 7 rods ain't gonna cut it! But I think my baitcasters are.. just barely though. I'm think rather any getting the 6' 10" (or 6' 9", something like that) Vengeance rod, I think I'm gonna go with the 7' 6" one. Anyone think that will cut it? Or will I have to go longer? Also regarding line sizes, will I have to go any from my heavy mono and braid and just go to 10 - 12lb mono, and just play the fish nice and easy? I also think the the new Quantum reels are gonna be pretty good for salmon and steelies. Since the have a 100 size, and 200 line capacity, and the salt water Catalyst is the right price and can go in salt!

So to the point:

What length/action rod?
What pound test line/brand (I'm think CXX because it's so strong)
What reel?
Old 10-04-09, 07:11 PM   #2
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Quote:
What length/action rod?
What pound test line/brand (I'm think CXX because it's so strong)
What reel?

Nice man. Alaska!

Lots of people like 9 to 10' rods for those fish, but I just use my bass tackle meaning 7' rods. Since I'm using cranks alot of the time, I'll just keep it on my glass cranking rod or whatever you prefer. I think a long rod would help casting a lot if your shore fishing. For my line, I treat it as if I were bass fishing. If I'm trying to throw a deep crankbait, I'll keep some 10-14lbs fluorocarbon on. I like to keep it simple with light fluorocarbon for salmon...works well for me. The fluoro will help since they're smart fish, many times finicky, and live in generally clear water. (here in lake michigan they'll be anywhere from 2" visibility to 40' clarity.) For reels...boy... get something with a 200 size spool I'd say. In Alaska, the salmon get especially big, so you will probably need what you can get. If you do end up using that lighter line like #12, you'll have enough on a 200 size reel.

Hope that helped boss.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 08:15 PM   #3
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
Nice man. Alaska!

Lots of people like 9 to 10' rods for those fish, but I just use my bass tackle meaning 7' rods. Since I'm using cranks alot of the time, I'll just keep it on my glass cranking rod or whatever you prefer. I think a long rod would help casting a lot if your shore fishing. For my line, I treat it as if I were bass fishing. If I'm trying to throw a deep crankbait, I'll keep some 10-14lbs fluorocarbon on. I like to keep it simple with light fluorocarbon for salmon...works well for me. The fluoro will help since they're smart fish, many times finicky, and live in generally clear water. (here in lake michigan they'll be anywhere from 2" visibility to 40' clarity.) For reels...boy... get something with a 200 size spool I'd say. In Alaska, the salmon get especially big, so you will probably need what you can get. If you do end up using that lighter line like #12, you'll have enough on a 200 size reel.

Hope that helped boss.
Thanks jooleyen! That helps!

I'd like to save up for a revo toro, that would be nice...

I'd like to go with flouro, but, if I'm gonna use a float rig, than I'll want mono/braid because it floats, if I get two reels, one will have flouro for sure!
Old 10-05-09, 03:22 AM   #4
islandbass

BB,

There are many rods for many different applications just as in bass fishing. Big river, small river, fishing in the salt, there are just too many scenarios.

On a typical river, if it's less that 8'6" (and this is practically a minimum in WA State), as they say, "forget about it." This minimum length is needed for casting, and line control. The types of lures will also influence your rod selection just like in bass fishing.

If you're going to be drifting corkies, spoons, inline spinners, 8'6" - 10' is standard on a typical river in WA State.

If you're going to be tossing a float and jig, no one who is serious (when given the choice) will use anything less than 9'6" with 10'6" the standard choice.

Also, the species of salmon can influence your rod choice. A rod that can handle the smaller salmon link pinks and sockeye might not be ideal (you'll be having a greater heck of a fight) for chums or the Kings. Also salmon are usually bigger up there than here in WA State.

Look at Lamiglas and Loomis' selections of salmon and steelhead rods as a start. In WA state round reels are the preferred choice although some folks like me will use LPs knowing full well you run the risk of getting spooled.

The typical salmon/steelhead general purpose rod will be:
at least 8'6" in length as a minimum for most applications
use 8-17# test
have a lure varying lure weight range
have a medium to medium heavy power and a fast action

This type of rod will handle most everything.

Chums and Kings are going to demand heavier line choice
8-25#
medium heavy to extra heavy power.

I would suggest a round reel or a reel if lp with a great line capacity like a Curado 300. The added line capacity is a necessity. 100s are out of the question. One 40 yard loss of line from a snag, forget about it. The reel will be useless. You will have lost optimum casting capability and fighting line. Use at your peril unless you bring more line. You can get snagged up with your first 4 casts and lose alot of line in the 1st 20 minutes.

Look out... Although my salmon and fishing journey is still quite young, I can't describe the power and awesome fight they have, even a pink. To date, I have caught pinks, chums, and my first silver last week. I haven't targetted a King yet but I can't wait.

You can target them with your bass gear in a pinch. I wouldn't buy any new gear until you get there and know the scenarios and conditions you will face.
Old 10-05-09, 07:30 AM   #5
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
BB,

There are many rods for many different applications just as in bass fishing. Big river, small river, fishing in the salt, there are just too many scenarios.

On a typical river, if it's less that 8'6" (and this is practically a minimum in WA State), as they say, "forget about it." This minimum length is needed for casting, and line control. The types of lures will also influence your rod selection just like in bass fishing.

If you're going to be drifting corkies, spoons, inline spinners, 8'6" - 10' is standard on a typical river in WA State.

If you're going to be tossing a float and jig, no one who is serious (when given the choice) will use anything less than 9'6" with 10'6" the standard choice.

Also, the species of salmon can influence your rod choice. A rod that can handle the smaller salmon link pinks and sockeye might not be ideal (you'll be having a greater heck of a fight) for chums or the Kings. Also salmon are usually bigger up there than here in WA State.

Look at Lamiglas and Loomis' selections of salmon and steelhead rods as a start. In WA state round reels are the preferred choice although some folks like me will use LPs knowing full well you run the risk of getting spooled.

The typical salmon/steelhead general purpose rod will be:
at least 8'6" in length as a minimum for most applications
use 8-17# test
have a lure varying lure weight range
have a medium to medium heavy power and a fast action

This type of rod will handle most everything.

Chums and Kings are going to demand heavier line choice
8-25#
medium heavy to extra heavy power.

I would suggest a round reel or a reel if lp with a great line capacity like a Curado 300. The added line capacity is a necessity. 100s are out of the question. One 40 yard loss of line from a snag, forget about it. The reel will be useless. You will have lost optimum casting capability and fighting line. Use at your peril unless you bring more line. You can get snagged up with your first 4 casts and lose alot of line in the 1st 20 minutes.

Look out... Although my salmon and fishing journey is still quite young, I can't describe the power and awesome fight they have, even a pink. To date, I have caught pinks, chums, and my first silver last week. I haven't targetted a King yet but I can't wait.

You can target them with your bass gear in a pinch. I wouldn't buy any new gear until you get there and know the scenarios and conditions you will face.
Cool thanks a lot IB!!

Once I'm up there (if ever), someone said that there's a lot of tackle stores there that have knowledgeable staff. I think I'll go there and ask some basic questions, see if I can get some answers.
Old 10-05-09, 07:54 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Wow, they really do things different on the west coast, lol.

We use 8-9' spinning rods when we went with 6-8lb mono and a 4-6lb fluoro leader. Or you go with a fly rod (which I think is much more fun). The guide we went with made his own tippets, sort of. we started with a length of 30lb test, then tied it to some 20, then like 12 or 14, then 8, and finished with 4-6.

Oh, and leave the 4/0 EWG hooks at home, lol.

BB
Old 10-05-09, 12:40 PM   #7
islandbass

The folks in Canada are a bit different. Some use what are called centerpin reels and insist that their float rods be 11' or more! No doubt on the 4/0 hooks. On certain rivers, if the gap from the hook's shank to the point exceeds 1/2" the hook is illegal to use.
Old 10-06-09, 11:26 AM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Wow, they really do things different on the west coast, lol.

We use 8-9' spinning rods when we went with 6-8lb mono and a 4-6lb fluoro leader. Or you go with a fly rod (which I think is much more fun). The guide we went with made his own tippets, sort of. we started with a length of 30lb test, then tied it to some 20, then like 12 or 14, then 8, and finished with 4-6.

Oh, and leave the 4/0 EWG hooks at home, lol.

BB
lol ya, I think I'll leave 'em!

Quote:
The folks in Canada are a bit different. Some use what are called centerpin reels and insist that their float rods be 11' or more! No doubt on the 4/0 hooks. On certain rivers, if the gap from the hook's shank to the point exceeds 1/2" the hook is illegal to use.
Wow! Salmon regs are real strict ain't they!

But I've got to ask.. why such long rods? I would think you would need no more than 8' rod for fresh water like rivers and lakes.
Old 10-06-09, 12:54 PM   #9
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

In my opinion there's only one way to catch 'em..on a fly rod..9' 10wt. and a heavy duty reel with lots of line...I caught about 50 of these Kings last week in upstate NY..some of the best salmon fishing in the world! This guy weighed roughly 20lbs..the biggest of the week was 31lbs!

Old 10-06-09, 05:02 PM   #10
islandbass

jason,

that is a fantastic catch! I am looking to catch my first king this season. Please tell us about the fight. Our fellow bassers can only imagine.

BB,

The long rods offer certain advantages. You are usually fishing in a river with some current. Longer rods give the angler:

1) More line control - with the current there are times you will need to adjust or "mend" your line to allow it to drift in a way that makes the lure hopefully more presentable to your quarry. A longer rod enables the angler to move more line for the same effort than a shorter one.

2) Improved hook sets from a distance - there will be times that the fish's take is maybe 30 yds away from your position. Good luck trying to set the hook from that distance with a typcial 6'6" rod. Sure you can do it, but your chances for success is improved with a longer rod for reason #1.

3) Longer casts - I think you know this already. There are times that you will need to make longer casts to reach a pool or place they're holding.

4) Maybe folks up here have a rod complex.

lastly, there are always exceptions to the rule.
Old 10-07-09, 05:31 AM   #11
WTL

Actually, you might wait on purchasing stuff until you get there. There is a difference between buying what you hear you need for "Alaska" and what is actually locally necessary for the exact zip code you are moving to. You are going to have to make some purchases for sure, so every dollar should go to something you can use.

I mean the advice you have been given is right on from what I have heard, I would just say learn now, buy later.

I agree with the idea of at least one fly rod if you can at some point afford it, and you might ought to research that a bit while you are down here and also in the winter time, which is sure to be a boring time for you (sorry, its the price of the endless days of the alaskan summer). The fishing up there is renowned, so when the water is thawed you should be in for perhaps a better time fishing than any of us in the lower 48.
Old 10-07-09, 07:33 AM   #12
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Actually, you might wait on purchasing stuff until you get there. There is a difference between buying what you hear you need for "Alaska" and what is actually locally necessary for the exact zip code you are moving to. You are going to have to make some purchases for sure, so every dollar should go to something you can use.

I mean the advice you have been given is right on from what I have heard, I would just say learn now, buy later.

I agree with the idea of at least one fly rod if you can at some point afford it, and you might ought to research that a bit while you are down here and also in the winter time, which is sure to be a boring time for you (sorry, its the price of the endless days of the alaskan summer). The fishing up there is renowned, so when the water is thawed you should be in for perhaps a better time fishing than any of us in the lower 48.
Of course!

Heck, I don't even know for sire if I am gonna move there. I'm just getter prepared a little so I can know what to look for!
Old 10-07-09, 04:44 PM   #13
islandbass

No problem bb... can't wait til you have a salmon on the other end of your line. hold on for one heck of a ride!
Old 10-07-09, 05:08 PM   #14
WaffleJaw

Alaska?....Your old enough to run away,right?...haha,Im just kidding.
Seriously though,make sure you stock up on this:
Old 10-07-09, 05:21 PM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
No problem bb... can't wait til you have a salmon on the other end of your line. hold on for one heck of a ride!
Y'all I can't wait 'till I get my first salmon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Alaska?....Your old enough to run away,right?...haha,Im just kidding.
Seriously though,make sure you stock up on this:
lol! I'll make sure to stock up!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.