Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-10, 07:01 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Keeping cool.. summer bass fishin?

Ok so here we are once again in the summer mouths. And here in Florida it's hot(!!) in the summer. A few years back I had a close call fishing once.. I had not taken enough water, and it's was in the high 90's! Started seeing spots, feeling light headed, I eventually had to get in the water to stay cool. I had gotten severe heat exhaustion.

So right now, I don't really take an extra precautions to keep cool other than soaking a towel in the water and putting under my had over my neck and taking lots of water, and my phone.

So what do you guys do to keep cool in the summer? Any tip or anything y'all could share.
Old 06-05-10, 07:06 PM   #2
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Try to avoid cotton clothing... very absorbant, traps all the sweat, makes you miserable.
Old 06-05-10, 07:55 PM   #3
Captmikestarrett

Never fish during mid-day. But sometimes you need to so I bring gatoraid and wear SPF clothing and a big ugly hat.

Capt Mike
Old 06-05-10, 08:37 PM   #4
nofearengineer

I think the whole "morning and evening bite" thing is just a conspiracy created by fat guys like me, so we could sit under the A/C during the heat of the day.
Old 06-05-10, 08:43 PM   #5
Bassboss

Thanks guys, I think I'll get some special summer fishing ****s or sumthing. What kinda material y'all like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I think the whole "morning and evening bite" thing is just a conspiracy created by fat guys like me, so we could sit under the A/C during the heat of the day.
LOL! Did I mention the evening are always accompanied by a lightning storm (not thunder storm.. LIGHTNING!! ), never fails this time of year!
Old 06-05-10, 10:23 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Lots of water, avoid cokes and alcohol, keep a towel in the ice chest, loose clothing and plenty of sunscreen. When it is real hot I try to fish either early or late and avoid the heat of the day.
Old 06-05-10, 10:36 PM   #7
rrw4258

Quote:
Wow, I was thinking the same thing...

But seriously, I bring lots of cold fluids, and try to keep in the shade if possible. Luckily on Erie, we always have lots of wind most times, so it tends to stay a little cooler on the big water.

Ryan
Old 06-05-10, 11:42 PM   #8
bassinbob

Pray for a breeze, good hat and plenty of cold water. My neighbor just threw out a bimini top and I am going to see if I can use it on my boat.
Old 06-06-10, 12:08 AM   #9
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Pray for a breeze, good hat and plenty of cold water. My neighbor just threw out a bimini top and I am going to see if I can use it on my boat.
Dumpster diving? Cool...

It's been pretty much covered on this thread, but do the basics...wear a hat and loose clothing to keep the sun off of you, drink plenty of WATER (no, not beer...sorry....), stay in the shade whenever possible, and cool off by dunking yourself in the water, or have a towel to dip in the water and hang around your neck or something.

Oh, and never, under any circumstances, should you fish out of a black boat. You'll cook like roadkill on asphalt. Plus, you don't want to hang around the kind of guys that own black boats...I'd classify them as "undesirables."
Old 06-07-10, 09:50 AM   #10
Bender

I keep cold drinks in the cooler of the boat but so far it hasn't been too bad. There is usually a little breeze on the water. I also will wear cool clothes but have to worry about the bugs and sunburn when you wear shorts and short sleeves. I don't think I will be getting in the water around here to cool off. Here's a picture from yesterday!

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 10:06 AM   #11
MississippiBoy

Aw, that's just a baby...grow a pair, will ya?
Old 06-07-10, 11:18 AM   #12
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Everyone says I'm a freak of nature. I fish 100 degree weather wearing blue jeans and boots and never break a sweat.
Old 06-07-10, 11:37 AM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinNC View Post
Everyone says I'm a freak of nature. I fish 100 degree weather wearing blue jeans and boots and never break a sweat.
And they'd be right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I keep cold drinks in the cooler of the boat but so far it hasn't been too bad. There is usually a little breeze on the water. I also will wear cool clothes but have to worry about the bugs and sunburn when you wear shorts and short sleeves. I don't think I will be getting in the water around here to cool off. Here's a picture from yesterday!
lol! Pansy!
Old 06-07-10, 12:03 PM   #14
WaffleJaw

Yea I just burnt the **** out of my forhead and legs Saturday...It was 98 degrees.
And I forgot to put the sunscreen on my legs...My forhead because I constantly wipe it.
We normally stock up on water and powerade..But even staying hydrated aint enough to win.
Definitely agree with the loose non 100% cotton clothes .But mainly if you can avoid fishing mid-day....Then that will be your best strategy.
Fishing aint enjoyable when your miserable
Old 06-07-10, 12:25 PM   #15
Jrob78

I'm seriously thinking about investing in a couple of those long sleeve Columbia fishing shirts. Do any of you guys wear those really thin button up outdoor shirts?
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 12:40 PM   #16
Bender

I have a few of those PFG shirts from Columbia. They are pretty nice and cool but I haven't tried the long sleeved ones.

And I know that isn't a big gator, but it's big enough to keep me away from it and out of the water. I don't want anything to do with those creatures.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 12:56 PM   #17
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
Try to avoid cotton clothing... very absorbant, traps all the sweat, makes you miserable.
I disagree....cotton is one of the best natural and breathable fibers. Nothing wrong with clothing that absorbs perspiration and is breathable.
1) Wear light colors as light colors help reflect light/heat.
2) Remove and wet shirt, then put back on for evaporative cooling.
3) Wear sun screen.
4) Drink lots of cool beverages (sorry, but not alcohol).
5) Sit in shade if/when you can.
6) Think cool thoughts
Old 06-07-10, 01:00 PM   #18
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Aw, that's just a baby...grow a pair, will ya?
It might be just a youngin, but I wouldn't be fer swimming with it either cause that pair you have just might be gater bait!!!
Old 06-07-10, 01:39 PM   #19
MO3N
BassFishin.Com Active Member

This may seem weird but when I would work during the summer siding houses when it was like 98 which is hot for Washington and the heat would reflect off the siding we would actually get a thin sweat shirt that was very loose, and would wear no t-shirt underneath and put a coldie (a special tube thing that has gel in it to hold water and stay cool.) around our neck and keep the hood up. It worked really well for staying cool. the loose sweatshirt would allow any breeze to come in contact with your skin and the thing around your neck would really help. This will NOT work with a t-shirt under the sweat shirt though.

we never had any of the spf stuff but i'm sure if you have it in some loose shirts it would work. basically loose clothing that covers your skin.
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 02:04 PM   #20
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I don't want anything to do with those creatures.
I second that motion. I once had a spectacled caiman...he was only 16" long.

He bit me a couple of times, and that was enough for me. I don't plan on experiencing a nip from his larger cousins.
Old 06-07-10, 02:30 PM   #21
Jrob78

Quote:
I second that motion. I once had a spectacled caiman...he was only 16" long.

He bit me a couple of times, and that was enough for me. I don't plan on experiencing a nip from his larger cousins.
I had the opportunity to buy a 12"-18" Nile Crocodile for $200 at a reptile show many years ago. I asked the guy how big they got, he said, "twenty feet," I said, "NO THANK YOU!!!"

Last edited by Jrob78; 06-07-10 at 03:45 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 03:56 PM   #22
flfireman

I'll fish all day long. Cotton actually works good and long sleeves. As you sweat the moisture will soak in and actually keep your skin moist from the wet material. There are days when I wear thin,loose long pants and a long sleeve columbia shirt or t shirt. Plenty of water and usually keep 2-3 quarts of Gatorade. drink 1 early, 1 during midday and one when Im leaving. Keep them electrolytes and other need minerals in my system.
Old 06-07-10, 04:04 PM   #23
bassboogieman

Fish with NFE, if you keep him between you and the sun - YOU'VE FOUND SHADE!

Water, water and more water - I suffered heat exhaustion on the Potomac a few years ago. Not pretty, I knew I was in trouble when I stopped sweating (and urinating) in temps that hovered in the afternoon around 100 degrees (in JUNE). Got off the water, back to motel, spent about 1/2 hour in cold shower and the next hour in the A/C drinking - WATER. Next day I was ok but I made sure the boat's cooler was FULL of water.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-07-10 at 04:11 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 04:25 PM   #24
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I always make sure I have water handy... spent the weekend (2 weeks ago) in the sun all day, rowing the canoe for 2-3 hours during early afternoon heat and drank a few gallons of water over the course of the day, but never had a problem with getting overheated.
high percentage of cotton shirts, especially the thinner ones help greatly. It may be gross to some sitting there with a sweat soaked shirt but thats actually your body doing its job so live with it.
The less you worry about what you feel or look like, the more concentration you have on fishing.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 05:51 PM   #25
bassinbob

Waffle, I burnt the tops of my legs from the knee up canoeing some years back. I couldn't walk for two days. Now I never fish in shorts. I do have two of the Columbia style shirts from Gander. One short sleeve and one long. They work to keep you cool. I'll start off with the short sleeve in the morning then put the long sleeve on as afternoon approaches.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.