Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-08, 04:17 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default walmart Kids! geesh

Had to rant just once, I was up at wallyworld getting some junk and stepped in front of some 40ish woman with her kids in tow, said excuse me etc, the mother told the kids to go down this aisle, and her 8 year old girl told her mom to Shut the F__k up! I looked down at this 4ft kid , stunned ...all her mom did was turn around and told the kid to shut up! ..man in my day my mom would have killed me right there on the spot and then some when we got home!!
I can only think that kid must hear it all the time at home huh
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 05:18 PM   #2
WTL

Thats amazing. And to think, I was shocked to hear a parent talking to her kids just the other day and using a lot of profanity in her speech, but for a kid to say that in a public place as if it were nothing...
Old 03-01-08, 05:23 PM   #3
Denny_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default OH yeah!!!!

I tell ya what if I was a parent and my kid talked to me I would warm that
*** good enuff to light your smoke off of it. Trust me more than 1/2 the kids now a days need an old fashion *** beating. Cuase they all pretty much think there bullet proof,not all but some. Denny
Denny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 06:22 PM   #4
WTL

I for one think spanking is a very immature means of teaching children discipline. It is much better to reason with them, use time outs, incentives such as play time and treats or video games, or if you really need to get your point across threaten to limit their cell phone usage to only 500 or so minutes a month. Violence however, should never be used on a child. In the dark ages maybe it was proper, but modern times have shown us better ways to create mature, caring, rational adults.
Old 03-01-08, 08:01 PM   #5
bamabassman

wtl, that works if you start a birth. but you can't blame the kid at wally world. like you said.. the kid hears it at home all the time. so.... but listen, my grandfather (dads father) didn't like my mom too much cause mom was strict. he always said that his daughter raised her kids by the book, and my mom raised hers by the coller. well mom had 4 kids and the aunt had 2. aunts kids , the daughter has been in prison, and the son is a hobo. that goes to show you who did a better job. all 4 of us have good, not great lol, jobs and have never been to jail for anything. i could go on and on. but you get the idea. yes we , mostly me and my brother, got whuppings alot. not as many as we should have though. we fought one another all the time, like most brothers do, hahaha. but you do NOT mess with any of us, know what i mean? and don't dare say anything about of mom, if you value your life. mom and dad did a fantastic job of raising us. and the mom in wally world? welll... maybe she needed a whupping herself. and wtl, sometimes a whipping, spanking or more physacle ( i know, spelling) is needed at times. mom would still beat my but if iever said that to her. and she is 70 yrs old. and yes i would stand there and take it. like i always did.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 10:07 PM   #6
barkelypup

Default Wow

This statement is shocking coming from some one from the south. No disrespect WTL but I bet the kid has never had a spanking hence the FU to the mother. Everyone better get over hurting some feelings and put some "Mama and Daddy are the BOSS" back into these kids or our Country will end up in that hand basket. It is headed there now. Now don't get me wrong I don't want to see a kid injured or anything but my Pap whipped me only 1 time while growing up. I was 7 years old and I knew
from that point on that I never wanted another one of them. Mom on the other hand has probably whipped me more times than there are fingers and toes in the State of Kentucky. I just always knew growing up after Daddy got a hold of me that one time that I never wanted to do anything to warrant that again and I still live with those values today. The problem is parents are going to get no respect trying to be a kids friend. So I say bust their butts. I have a 2 year old and a 3 week old and if they step out of line they will get it. Just my 2 cents though.

bP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I for one think spanking is a very immature means of teaching children discipline. It is much better to reason with them, use time outs, incentives such as play time and treats or video games, or if you really need to get your point across threaten to limit their cell phone usage to only 500 or so minutes a month. Violence however, should never be used on a child. In the dark ages maybe it was proper, but modern times have shown us better ways to create mature, caring, rational adults.
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 11:54 PM   #7
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

that's a shame that the kid left wally world with all her teeth still intact.....my mother would've knocked every one of mine out for me right then and there....and then probably made me pick em up too.....
Old 03-02-08, 12:54 AM   #8
Rebbasser

I would nevervsay anything even remotely similar like that to my mom. Why?

Quote:

I for one think spanking is a very immature means of teaching children discipline.
Because i KNEW my backside would get blistered, no questions asked.

Quote:
It is much better to reason with them, use time outs
Ever try to reason with a screaming 6 year old? Time outs? My dad was the one that took time out. Time out of his day to paddle my backside when I needed it.

But Dr. Spock changed all that. He recommended reasoning with the kids and time outs. Worked great for his son, up until the time the son committed suicide.

Time outs never bothered me-I was confined to my room where I had all my toys, games, etc. to play with. However, the threat of my dad turning me every way but loose, as he used to say, did. Immature? Maybe. Effective? Very.
Old 03-02-08, 01:28 AM   #9
keithdog

Had I spoke to my parents like that kid did I never would have lived to write this reply. My older brother used the time out techniques, and all that softy non violent crap on his kids and the kids ran the roost. Those kids were usually out of control while their parents started counting. It drove me nuts. Just tan their behinds is what I was thinking. My kids only got one warning. If they didn't listen they payed the consequence with a sore fanny. It didn't take them long to learn dad meant buisness. And they grew up to be pretty fine young men. They would never think to talk to me or any other adult like that. Ok, thats my two cents worth.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 07:19 AM   #10
CarpMan

I didn’t know what a SPANKING was when I was a child. When I sassed my Mon I got my azz whopped with a weeping willow switch.It only took one or two trips to the hitching post, I couldn’t sit for awhile but for some reason I Had no desire to disrespect my Mom....My Parents would've had a field day with that kid a wally-world.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 07:57 AM   #11
Bo Dale James Jr.

Well if that was my child she would be living in the wood shed with a chain around her neck for a week eating scraps from the table.....Then she would have to go to Wally World with a large poster declaring she was a sinner and had broken the first commandment...Then she would be locked in a prayer closet for a few days...After that she would probably be obedient..for a few years. Then she would set the high school on fire ...oh wait wasn't that Carrie?
It blows my mind the way some people live. Our 8 yr. old daughter doesn't even know that word.
BTW..WTL very funny!!! Take away the texting capabilities and her BFF, WKWTD (wouldn't know what to do).....
Old 03-02-08, 08:52 AM   #12
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hell, I know kids who get away with things like that as if it were nothing. It always confuses me, the way soe kids can get away with anything and get the lamest punishments for. We play a lot of football, with kids from around my town. Once, the QB of the other team was telling us about how his mom got mad at him for bringing home bad grades (A D. If I got a D, I would not be left alive), so he shattered her car's windsheild.
Old 03-02-08, 10:51 AM   #13
basschick
BassFishin.Com Member

There's truly no one answer. I use a little of both myself, plus some grounding and restriction. My kids respond differently to different methods. I think if you are consistent with your children with whatever you choose, and show patience and guidance along the way they usually respond well. No parent or method is perfect. Parenting requires effort and work, I know that some parents just don't folow through or blame everyone else but the child for poor behavior. If spanking is extreme, don't you think that girl in the store requires an extreme respose? She's obviously past the point of talking to. We all love fishing, I think taking our kids fishing and listening to their thoughts help promote love and respect and maybe stop the poor behavior that requires an extreme response. Take care, and good fishing!!
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 11:16 AM   #14
WTL

Guys, guys, I was just being sarcastic before.

Limiting a kids cell phone usage to 500 minutes a month? Wtf?

And yet, there are some parent that do that stuff. It is a bunch of garbage and its why we have a bunch of 30 year old children raising children these days

No, I strongly believe in the ascendency of a fine southern tradition, that of a switch. For different infractions, different switches may be selected, some that are soft for lighter things, but big, sharp notted things for big infractions. Switches are much more frightening than spanking.
Old 03-02-08, 11:23 AM   #15
Cranebird

I hated to have to go out and pick a switch when I was a kid knowing its gonna hurt like hell but that didn't seem to change my decision in doing the wrong thing to have to suffer the consequences for my actions.My parents had few laws in thier household with 11 kids living there but every kid knew enough to give respect and follow directions giving by my parents.Getting a whipping was about the only thing my parents could do to punish us for we didn't have much else but a roof over our head and a food on the table .We used to joke what do you tell a sister or a brother with bloody nose,black eyes and a fat lip ? Nothing because Dad already did. C-Bird E.
Old 03-02-08, 02:33 PM   #16
barkelypup

My Mom would make me cut her a switch and I would try to pick one that was bigger so she wouldn't hit me so hard. It didn't work most of the time but some times it did.
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 07:36 PM   #17
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Fellas, I've taught elementary school for 15 years and it saddens me to say I'm not surprised... In actuality, I feel bad for the child - kids who grow up with out rules, structure, and discipline are only heading in the wrong direction. I have about one hundred students a year and within a few weeks of the beginning of school I can tell you precisely what a kids home life is like with 95% accuracy... sad and really difficult to overcome a lousy social environment... I spend a lot of my time trying to find ways to help kids who aren't getting help at home.....
Old 03-02-08, 08:00 PM   #18
JB

they dont cuss at the teachers to much compared to at home i am betting
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 08:46 PM   #19
bamabassman

hey... we had to get our own switches too. ooooohhhhh i hated that, we tried to get the little ones, you know the real little ones, see we thought it wouldn't hurt so bad. boy were we wrong!! those things never broke!! and the little knots the leaves left would leave welps!!! oh for th good ol days, hahaha. i remember our mom got so mad at my brother, cause he was laughing at her while being whipped, she broke a stainless steel brush on his arse. he STILL laughed at her. then it was MY turn. OOOUUUUUCCCCCHHHH!!
Old 03-02-08, 09:19 PM   #20
pignjig

WTL- "For different infractions, different switches may be selected. " That's down-right funny!!! Brushhog said a lot. I taught at two different boarding schools and some of those kids were just sad. They had absolutely no center to their lives and it usually resulted from incompetent parents-- Bottom line. A lot of folks think that "punk kids" usually come from low-income families. It just ain't so. Bad parents are in every income bracket. Most times, after the kids at the boarding schools had some direction and a firm set of standards to live by, we'd see a lot of improvement. Once they saw that some folks cared enough to confront them about their behavior, they'd start straightening up. Then, unfortunately, Christmas or Spring Break would roll around and we'd have to start all over.
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 12:06 PM   #21
Nitro911

I was a bit shocked to read your post, too, WTL, until I found the part about the cell usage. That and this:

Quote:
but modern times have shown us better ways to create mature, caring, rational adults
It was after the closing comment that I knew you HAD to be kidding. Respect is a forgotten characteristic today, it seems. And since Dr. Spock came down the track, responsibility and self-reliance seem to have gone the way of respect.
Old 03-04-08, 08:31 PM   #22
bamabassman

hey guys, maybe we need to tell wtl's mom. then she might make him get a switch and we all get to watch her whup him. hahaha. you crazy man. lol. and wtl it's gonna get warmer soon....you ready?
Old 03-04-08, 10:12 PM   #23
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I could just see someone's mom making them go back out and get a bigger switch when they brought a little whimpy one in.

Now that there's Funny!

BB
Old 03-04-08, 10:25 PM   #24
carolina-rig-01

i know a lot of you guys have kids so you will know what i am talking about here. i have a niece that is a little over 2 yrs old. we (my grandparents, and my wife and i) have for the most part raised here to this point and don't see things getting any better very soon (a sad story of a 16 year old girl getting pregnant and not taking responsability but that is for another post). when emi (my niece) is in need of a butt whipping she gets it! all kids are going to see how far they can cross the line and she is no different, the more honry a kid is the better i like them but they WILL have respect for other people and especially their elders. looking at her now you can tell who has been the authority figures to her. my grandma is like most grandma's and she is a push over, she will have to tell emi something 2 or 3 times where my grandpa and i say it once. and another thing i don't get is parents counting to 3 before they get on their kids. if a kid is doing something and you are counting out loud to 3 then the kid knows "i have 2 seconds before i get in trouble". i count to one and not out loud. when i say put that down or whatever she will do it or she will get her little butt flogged. it hurts me more than it does her i know but it is worth it. you can take her wherever you want and there will be kids acting up but she knows better.
Old 03-05-08, 12:10 PM   #25
BassAddict

I don't have a problem with "whipping" my kids to get them in line. My daughter rarely ever gets it. She's pretty good but my boy can be a handful at times. I have no problem taking my belt off and using it. He has more respect for me than he does my wife because she won't spank him. I know that all my kids teachers and people that watch them at church say my kids are wonderful and well mannered and that means a lot to me! I really think it makes a difference in getting your kids respect. If they don't respect their parents, then though won't respect anybody!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.