Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-11, 04:46 PM   #1
wasontilt
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Help with Gear Selection!

I basically need some help in selecting some equipment...

I already own about 3 different types of Ugly Sticks and a few small spinning reels.

I need to beef up my reels and lines.

Fishing : Mostly Fresh Water - (Northern Pikes, Largemount Bass, etc.) Occasional Salt Water

I'm interested in purchasing:

Penn Fierce 4000
- Mono Trilene XL 12 lb

Penn Fierce 5000
- P-Line Floroclear Fishing Line 15 lb

I usually fish when we go to the Adirondacks in NY.

This will basically be the only fishing gear I would be using. ( I fish for pleasure only about 5 - 10 times a year)

Will this set-up do or should I change anything?

Equipment will be used by a 50, 23, and 11 year old males.

Any feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
wasontilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 10:17 PM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sounds pretty good to me, but I would probably stick with 4000 size reels. I assume you are using so bog reels for the pike so you can use heavy line? I normally use 2500 or 3000s for bass but line over 10# is tough to handle on them. You might also want to add wire leaders if you are targeting pike. Braided line might also be an option, but the lakes up there are pretty clear so on baits that aren't moving fast you might need to fluorocarbon leader to cut down on the line visibility.

Where are are you going up there? I used to live in Saranac Lake and fished a lot of the local lakes.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 11:58 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hmm.. mixing the three to gether ain't to easy. I'd go with a 3000, or 3500 size spinning reel. But it really depends on what you're fishing for in salt water, and the size of pike you're targeting. If it's 20 - 30 inch pike, you'll be fine with standard bass tackle. For larger ones you'll need something bigger, like a 3500. Also what are you going for in salt water? Big Jack, Shark, or just snappers ad porgy and stuff (I'm from florida, so I'm not really sure what kinda salt water fish ya got). If it's smaller stuff like the snappers, you'll be fine with light tackle, if it's the bigger stuff, get a bigger reel, 5000 or will due.

I think braid would be your best main line, 50lb. Strong enough for what ever you want, and thin enough to cast very well.

Ugly sticks will be ok for the salt water and pike, but if you're gonna fish stuff like plastic worms for bass, ya might want to invest in a better rod. Berkly lighting will do.. you can get 'em at wall mart.

Penn are great reels, they've got a HUGE fallowing in salt water, but not so much in bass fishing.

Hope this helps!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.