Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-12, 10:18 PM   #1
LittleBigBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Somethin Good for The Price

Im looking for a new rod/reel, and was looking for a pole/reel for jig/worm application...I have searched, and have found many selections so I was hoping that was where you all could come in and help me decide lol...
I was hoping to get a reel/rod...or a combo, for $130.00 or less. Here are the rods I had in mind...However I have no clue on which bait caster to choose lol. I can only Get one reel and one rod SO WHICH ONE! Please reply I need a new pole before a tournament this Saturday. I feel bad asking, but i just don't have knowledge about brand, and quality of specific rods/reels. If you know of a good reel/ rod/combo please reply because I don't know all of them. Thanks

Rods:

St. Croix Triumph Series Casting Rods 7' MH
Bass Pro Shops Bionic Blade XPS Trigger Rods 7'6 MH
Team Diawa T Trigger Rods 7' MH

Combos:

Abu Garcia® Silver Max™ Low-Profile Reel/Bass Pro Shops® Graphite Series Trigger Rod Baitcast Combos

LittleBigBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 10:41 AM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Of the 3 rods you've listed, I have limited knowledge of the Bionic Blade only. They were just on sale, which would have saved you about $20, shame you missed that. For the money those rods are really hard to beat and the changes on the 2012 only look to have made them better. The only thing I'd change in your choice would be going with a rod 6'6" ro 7'. As for a reel, I'd suggest sticking with BPS and their Pro Qualifer or Extreme, again hard to beat it for the money. This combo will put you at $150-$180 NEW, a bit above your target but the reels, especially, can be found on the secondary market (used) in good shape, or on sale which would save a few $$$. Never forget ebay - some great deals can be found. EXAMPLE - In your price range (and I usually prefer a "Buy It Now" price when buying on ebay) and a really excellent combo for your intended purpose, and it's NEW, not used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bass-Pro...item337515fa7b

Last edited by bassboogieman; 04-26-12 at 10:48 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 09:58 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'll throw this out there for you to consider. Right now, BPS on their website is having an Outdoor Adventure sale. You can buy a BPS Extreme rod/reel combo for $159.98 with free shipping. Now I have never used their Extreme reel but I know many who have and they have nothing but possitive comments about the Extreme reel. I have two Extreme rods and they are darn nice rods for the money! I'm sure you would like the outfit. There are many reel/rod combos to choose from depending on which gear ratio reel and choice of rod.
Old 04-26-12, 11:18 PM   #4
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Abu Garcia® Black Max™ Low-Profile Reel Graphite Series Trigger Rod Baitcast Combos at walmart for $69.98 i usually wouldn't buy my rods/reels from walmart but I read reviews on abu garcia that its quite an improvement from the silver series with ratings of 4.7 of 5 with about 200 comments. Just a thought
Mac Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 11:22 PM   #5
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Abu-Garcia...Combo/19716434

Looked it up on Abu Garcia reel is 6.2:1 gear
Old 04-27-12, 08:36 AM   #6
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I know you don't have it listed on there, but look at the Powell Diesel rod, at $69.99 it's a great deal. I have one (765) and so far it feels pretty good. As for a reel, I would look at the BPS PQ or if you can find an out of stock Shimano Citica at a good price it would keep you around your $130 mark.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 10:01 AM   #7
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
I know you don't have it listed on there, but look at the Powell Diesel rod, at $69.99 it's a great deal. I have one (765) and so far it feels pretty good. As for a reel, I would look at the BPS PQ or if you can find an out of stock Shimano Citica at a good price it would keep you around your $130 mark.
http://drugcopharmacy.com/online-sto...php?prodId=467

Shimano Citica they got plenty

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.