Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-12, 07:30 PM   #1
tarpon120
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Loomis Warranty

I just had my first experience with Shimano/Loomis warranty and this was not a pleasant experience. Anybody else dealt with them lately?

I know it been a long time since I posted here but I still visit almost every day. I 've been collecting old fishing lures when not working or fishing.

This experience has just left me the feeling that my shimano reels, rods and Loomis products are WORTHLESS.
tarpon120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 09:18 PM   #2
skeeter1804

I had the center of an eyelet of a GL2 fall out last year. I sent it back to them because it was 2 months old and they charged me $50 plus return shipping to fix it. I was not impressed with the service I received. Before I sent it I called and they said they would take care of it, they did but at my expense.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 04:47 AM   #3
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Not saying this in their defense, but could you shed some light on the details? What happened? How did they mistreat you or mishandle your case?

I don't doubt your claim but I don't think I'd be alone in wanting to know what happened to you. Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 05-12-12, 06:49 AM   #4
ZHerman330
BassFishin.Com Member

I had a brand new crankin' rod that snapped due to some poor QC. Called them up and told them they needed to make this right. They sent me a label for my old rod and shipped out the updated version of the crucial crankbait rod, free of charge. They did the same for a curado I had problems with. You have to speak to the right people there and don't take no for an answer. Sorry to hear that things didn't go so smoothly for you!
ZHerman330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 03:30 PM   #5
Bender

It seems that the Shimano rod warranty is better than the Loomis one. I've been extra careful with my Loomis rods since they changed the warranty a couple years ago because I've heard of problems.

tarpon120, did they ask you to provide proof of purchase for the rod? I read that it was required to even qualify for the $50 return, but several of mine I bought used.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 10:55 PM   #6
tarpon120

Default my story

Here is where I stand, This is the short version. This rod was bought in January 2011, I think, it was a MossyBack BCR803, pretty sure I got the receipt. My wife and I were fishing two weeks ago, close to my cabin, I went to set the hook and the rod snapped. I think it was somewhere around 12 inches above the reel seat, I didn't measure. After the initial shock and disappointment I said ok I will just send it back, its a warranty claim, no big deal. I call Shimano/Loomis Friday check status, I'm thinking it should be back anytime, and the lady pulls it up in the system and tells me it not a warranty issue, that there where white marks that she called something (I am not comprehending at this point) and it was not their problem. I immediately ask to speak to someone else, this is not possible, and she tells me her supervisor will not be back til Tuesday, I am very upset at this point. I am thinking that I own nothing but Shimano reels, fixing to order a core foy my oldest son for graduation and this is how they handle an issue with a rod. If there was any doubt in my mind that this was not a warranty issue I would have used their $100 no questions asked return. I have never returned a rod or a reel for any reason, and yes I have broke a few which were my fault and I didn't go asking someone to replace it. I did call back and spoke to someone else and he basically said sorry but we will sell you another one for half price, bull.....
I have already spent $40.00 getting it back to you and now another hundred, this will be a $400.00 plus rod with a lousy warranty that will probably break as well, if fished with. I tell him to return my rod as is, so I will never forget this experience, I assume I will charged for that also, another twenty bucks. The point is there is no question in my mind this is a warranty issue and not a consumer problem. I take very good care of all my fishing equipment, much like my old lures except I don't use them.

I will make one more attempt to resolve this issue Monday but I'm not sure it can be resolved on my end. I have really enjoyed my Loomis rods and have not bought another brand reel other than Shimano in more than twenty years. We bought my son a GLX for his sixteenth birthday for a keepsake and now he is questioning the validity of the purchase. Both my sons have been raised on Shimano reels due to my loyalty, my first was a BSM2200FS which I still have. Core was going to be his graduation gift in two weeks. He is in agreement that we can change, but it will take some time, I will be getting some demos to try for now.

This is where I stand. I am going to be selling 20+ reels, curados to cores, several te/gt calcuttas and all my loomis rods, before they break, two generatios worth. I am going to put the loomis in a display case to sit beside my Lures at every NFLCC show I attend so That I can tell this story to every other fisherman possible. This will be my lifeteme warranty/guaranty to Shimano/Loomis. I feel Shimano rod and reel warranty will be handled the same way as they handled my loomis warranty in the future. GLoomis may have been a different company back when, but not now.
To top it all off I was wearing a GLoomis shirt Friday.

I am still Livid

Thanks for allowing me to rant.

Last edited by tarpon120; 05-13-12 at 12:20 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 05-13-12, 10:48 PM   #7
islandbass

You should go to the TT webpage and talk to bantam1. He is the shimano/loomis rep. Perhaps he can explain their findings as to why the rod broke in laymans' terms. There is a shimano/loomis forum where common folk like us can ask away about anything shimano/loomis. Best of luck. Sorry to hear about your ordeal and I hope they find a way to make it right.
Old 05-14-12, 04:59 PM   #8
tarpon120

Thanks Islandbass for the help, swapped a couple messages with Bantam1 and pretty much got the corporate side, she's been inspecting 20 years. I'm ok that I exhausted my options. Broken rod is being returned. Nobody seemed to care at Shimano, last guy even made the comment that I probably got my money's worth anyway and their too big a corporation for my comments to matter. Guess I'll be starting a new thread when I will have time to respond on reels comparable to what I was using.

Boy did I learn a lesson, too many eggs in one basket.

Last edited by tarpon120; 05-14-12 at 05:00 PM. Reason: grammer

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.