Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-12, 01:21 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default OK, gang, it's that time of year again

Time for my annual warning: Get a bottle of sunscreen-I like Bullfrog-and USE IT!!!! It is a lot cheaper and easier to do than have a skin cancer removed. This I know from experience. 2 basal cell carcinomas taught me that lesson the hard way, and I don't recommend it. So:

Use that sunscreen and go load the boat!
Old 05-14-12, 01:35 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01

Good reminder Reb. This year I started wearing a boonie hat on sunny days and I have been very happy with the fact that my face isn't cooked by the end of the day. That is no substitute for sunscreen (which I wear) but it is another way to stay protected.
Old 05-14-12, 02:59 PM   #3
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I had an opps on my first time out this year, no sunscrean. My neck, arms and legs all got it. I now have a bottle in the boat all the time (even used it last time I was out!).
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 06:40 PM   #4
keithdog

I not only have my bottle of sunscreen, but I have a hot brunette to apply it!
Old 05-14-12, 09:02 PM   #5
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

my moms friend back in the day, theyd crappie fish alot and she learned the hard way, she is always getting them burned off, thank God they never get bad... i cant even go walking without here telling, me sad things they tell me i have low Vit D and have to takes pills for it, lol but yea it is very serious
Old 05-15-12, 01:57 AM   #6
Jrob78

I am going to try the full cover up route this year. I've got the Outdoor Research boonie hat and I'm going to wear spf long sleave button up shirts and pants when it starts getting really hot. I've been thinking about getting a pair of those sun gloves to wear too. I've cooked too many times under the TX sun.
Old 05-15-12, 05:45 AM   #7
ZHerman330
BassFishin.Com Member

Jrob the full cover up just plain works! You can't forget like sunscreen, it doesn't wash off, drip into your eyes, and you stay quite a bit cooler. I recommend the columbia Performance fishing gear line. Quality merch that does what it is supposed to and doesn't look to bad doing it.
ZHerman330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 12:06 PM   #8
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I am going to try the full cover up route this year. I've got the Outdoor Research boonie hat and I'm going to wear spf long sleave button up shirts and pants when it starts getting really hot. I've been thinking about getting a pair of those sun gloves to wear too. I've cooked too many times under the TX sun.
Full cover is definitely the way to go I think.I still keep sunscreen on the kayak but havent needed it....yet....I use the Omni wick columbia long sleeves...I stocked up when they went on sale at Academy.Along with the Magellan convertible pants.

I also wear a UV buff and recently bought the DR Shade glacier gloves...I bought a size smaller for better fit....The glacier gloves have a very thin rubber palm...So when wet ,they grip the paddle like a champ...Very comfy to wear and fish in...No issues.

I also found a fitted moist wickening UV protected hat to wear...Made by Dickies,but I cant find it online?...I found it at Walmart for $10

It aint hot yet in TX...but I paddled out in 94 degree days so far with no complaints..I stay cooled down with the help of staying hydrated...But keeping my skin out of the heat/sun helps a ton....Im working on shoes now to replace the flops.....Also I remember we brought up the moist wickening ''undies'' as well in a past post..Definitely an option worth considering.

I may look a little silly....But so do raccoon eyes....Which I dont have
Old 05-15-12, 12:49 PM   #9
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Full cover is definitely the way to go I think.I still keep sunscreen on the kayak but havent needed it....yet....I use the Omni wick columbia long sleeves...I stocked up when they went on sale at Academy.Along with the Magellan convertible pants.

I also wear a UV buff and recently bought the DR Shade glacier gloves...I bought a size smaller for better fit....The glacier gloves have a very thin rubber palm...So when wet ,they grip the paddle like a champ...Very comfy to wear and fish in...No issues.

I also found a fitted moist wickening UV protected hat to wear...Made by Dickies,but I cant find it online?...I found it at Walmart for $10

It aint hot yet in TX...but I paddled out in 94 degree days so far with no complaints..I stay cooled down with the help of staying hydrated...But keeping my skin out of the heat/sun helps a ton....Im working on shoes now to replace the flops.....Also I remember we brought up the moist wickening ''undies'' as well in a past post..Definitely an option worth considering.

I may look a little silly....But so do raccoon eyes....Which I dont have
Target Champion C9 moisture wicking underwear. These are all I wear anymore. They don't keep you from sweating but they make it so much more comfortable to deal with.

http://www.target.com/c/men-clothing...tx-matchallany

I don't think my link worked exactly right but they should be down at the bottom of the page.
Old 05-15-12, 01:09 PM   #10
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Target Champion C9 moisture wicking underwear. These are all I wear anymore. They don't keep you from sweating but they make it so much more comfortable to deal with.

http://www.target.com/c/men-clothing...tx-matchallany

I don't think my link worked exactly right but they should be down at the bottom of the page.

Ha! I looked at those at Target over the weekend...Ill have to score a few pairs,Thanks.....Yea the convertible pants material dont breathe hardly at all....So my legs sweat constantly and the cotton draws dont mix well with that
Old 05-15-12, 01:13 PM   #11
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Ha! I looked at those at Target over the weekend...Ill have to score a few pairs,Thanks.....Yea the convertible pants material dont breathe hardly at all....So my legs sweat constantly and the cotton draws dont mix well with that
I've been wearing them for about 3 years and I love them. The one's I get come 2 to a pack and are about $14.
Old 05-15-12, 02:46 PM   #12
3dkicker

Too late.......back of my knees got burnt over the weekend. Yes the back of my knees!!!

And my neck got a little sun too. Put sunscreen on my face, ears, and arms. Guess I'll have to be a little more careful next time.
Old 05-15-12, 08:45 PM   #13
Rebbasser

3d, one of the worst I ever had was the back of my knees and tops of my feet. That was miserable. I can sure relate!
Old 05-15-12, 09:00 PM   #14
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've gone cover up too. Boonie hat and this Columbia shirt. http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99...efault,pd.html

It's not the hottest it's going to get yet but I wore it at my last tourney at near 90 and it seemed to be bearable. One thing I did notice is that any amount of breeze made an instant difference in the cooling and a short boat run dried the shirt out in about a minute.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 01:05 PM   #15
Captmikestarrett

Cover up is the cool way to go. I use the sun gloves , long sleeves and long pants. And this year I added a sun buff.. At first they are kinda warm then as you perspire it cools your neck and head.. Big hat is a must also.

Capt Mike
Old 05-16-12, 01:35 PM   #16
lilmule

Aloe gel costs $1 at dollar general,put it on and it dries in about 1 min,should you forget to put it on and get burned use it after ward will take the sting out.Made out of cactus,green friendly,handed down from Apache.Pima squaws.
If you put it on no red face wind burn either.It works as good as any sun wind screen out there and has medicinal properties in case you use something else.
Aloe contains slippery, slimy constituents that have a demulcent (soothing) effect, as well as a vulnerary (wound-healing) effect. Works even on ulcers and light grease spatter burns.It feels like your spreading skin lotion that has a cool effect and slimy,dries quickly even in cool weather.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.