Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-06, 08:46 PM   #1
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Rod Life?

Do rods ever loose there life? Do they ever loose an edge. I just got a new rod today and I was amazed at the improvement in casting distance. I think my guides are worn to where they are not as slick? Hope someone can answer this one.
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-06, 09:25 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't think there really is one-you can pretty much use one as long as you choose to unless it gets broken. Upgrades are a different story-I have a bunch of rods that are perfectly good I don't use because I have gotten better quality rods over time.
Old 11-22-06, 09:29 PM   #3
ROBZILLA
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Really depends how long and how aggressive you use your rods. It also depends on how you baby your rods or if you treat them like EX wives or not.I think they get a little better with age but thats a personal preference.and by the way you can get new eye inserts, or use ceramic next time. You will never wear them out.
Old 11-24-06, 01:48 AM   #4
Jolly

I have rods i have been using for more than 8 years (cheap tourney specials etc) that seem to be the same as always. I have replaced an eye or two and some cork on one but the blank seems to have the same strength as always. I would imagine that more expensive rods would be even better.

Jolly
Old 11-24-06, 10:18 AM   #5
zooker

i have had a couple of mine for 15 years i finally ate the ceramic eye out of one my older rods last summer.. yes ceramic eyes last longer but they do wear out..

zooker
Old 11-25-06, 10:36 AM   #6
adamgambill

I just bought a Falcon rod from the early 90's from my svc. manager. Its a light grey color with glitter in the wraps. It doesnt say a "model" or anything just that is medium-light action with a fast tip and that its 7' long. He had this old daiwa spinning reel on it that looked like it came over on the mayflower and was apparently made before superstopper(sorry former shimano boy) or any kind of balancing technique. The rod is SWEEET, landed a few yesterday. I wish that berkley could actually REPRODUCE the cherrywood not make some new style rod and re-name it. The cherrywood I use is probably from the late 80's and has foam grips, but you want to talk action with backbone-there is none like it, same deal with the lightning rod. Seems like rods were made better not so long ago and the reels sucked, It seems somewhat the opposite now.
Old 11-25-06, 05:48 PM   #7
flfireman

Haven't seen a time frame or expiration date on rods. I tend to baby my rods. Minus a mishap here or there. Proper care of a well constructed rod should give you a pretty healthy lifespan.
Old 11-25-06, 07:26 PM   #8
Christopherkeene9

What is considered "babying" your rods?
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-06, 07:58 PM   #9
skeeter944

wiping them down,keeping them safe,being very careful with them,watching where the tips are. i baby my rods because i want to get the best from them for a long time.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-06, 08:14 PM   #10
BPACA

You can wipe them down and everything...I fish em pretty hard and really I don't go through them too bad. I think it is always a big confidence boost to get some new equipment once and a while.....at least for me....but I am sure some will argue ....I think they sometimes loose their action overtime....like they flex more...IDK.
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-06, 08:38 PM   #11
Christopherkeene9

Wipe 'em down? They weren't in salt but only freshwater!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-06, 10:07 PM   #12
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i usually kick them off the boat long before they wear out.there are 5 of my rods and reels at the bottom of my home lake here.and a couple dozen assorted lures hooked on stumps and broken off trying to get my rods back.i just beat the he** out of my rods and other than drowning they have lasted years.i used to keep 6 or 8 in the boat and tried to upgrade them one by one.that hasn't happened..i now have about 18 rods in the boat..........hic
Old 11-27-06, 02:18 PM   #13
JB

maybe this new rod has fugi guides, they can make a dif..
on the wiping a rod down, many guys I know use pledge furniture polish, or windex...I usually just hit them with WD-40. Any dust or dirt IMO on the reel or rods makes for less distance in the cast or workablity.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.