Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-06, 06:10 PM   #1
peblair
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Reels And Rods Help

I need help with what gear ratio in need for different fishing baits, please help!

SPINNERBAIT
BUZZBAIT
SPOOK
HARD JERKBAIT
FROG

These are my baits that i need help with what size rod and what gear ratio is best for each one.

5.3:1 or 6.2:1
medium or heavy or medium heavy

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks and i am new so if i am doing it worng please help with that as well.

TAKE A KID FISHING!
peblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 06:16 PM   #2
bubba bass bigfoot
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i would go with the 6:2:1 for the spinner and buzz, rod what ever you like better.
bubba bass bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 07:16 PM   #3
TackleTester
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to TackleTester

Not Heavy......Probably MdHvy...Need a pretty stout rod for frog fishing....doesn't hurt for spinnerbaits either....cranks are another story but you can't make everything work so my .02 go with mdhvy rod and 6.2 reel
TackleTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 07:37 PM   #4
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Spinnerbait: One 6.2:1 for normal use in shallower applications. A 5:1 or 4.7:1 for deep "slowrolling" the spinnerbait...It WILL make a difference and help a great deal.

Buzzbait (including "buzzing" toads): If the budget allows for a "purpose dedicated" reel, a 7:1, but the more versatile 6.2 (some are 6.3, and that's OK) will be quite adequate.

Crankbait: The 5:1 is handy and less tiring for the larger ones, otherwise the 6.2 wiill be fine.

Topwater(to include Spooks): The 6.2(3) is fine. The 5:1 will serve well enough in a pinch too.

Lipless Cranks and Hard Jerkbaits: 6.2 is fine, but learn to slow down as needed.

Worms, jigs, creature baits: 6.2 generally the best choice.

Please try to become VERY familiar with the actual performance of each reel you own. Gear ratios are NOT the only indicator of actual retrieve speed, which is also a function of spool diameter, line level, etc.
Most of us remember when the ABU Ambassadeur was THE reel. Well, until the 4500, 5500, etc, came out, the red Ambys had a ratio of perhaps 3.7. Even the reels with the second number being 5 or 6, and considered "High Speed", had a ratio of "Only" 4.7:1 in most cases.
Many of us installed after-market 5:1 gears in the quest for speed. Sometimes the results were iffy, at best, 'cause some of the kits were a bit rough-cut and required some rather ingenious break-in measures. If such measures were not successful you felt as though you were grinding gravel when you cranked.

Good luck!

FlyRod

PS: Rods are a far more subjective choice. I'm certain you'll receive plenty of advice hereon.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 09:04 PM   #5
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

FlyRod has this one covered.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-06, 12:14 AM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Reels-what Flyrod said.

Rods:
Spinnerbait: 6-6 MH
Buzzbait: Same
Spook: 6 or 6-6 Medium
Hard Jerkbait: 6-6 Medium
Frog: 6 or 6-6 Heavy, preferably with braided line.

Single hook baits I like a MH action rod-enough backbone for a good hookset. Treble hook baits I use a medium action. It has some give to it so there is less chance of tearing the hooks out of a fish's mouth. For frogs I like a heavy action rod as well as braided line. The reason is frogs are usually fished in heavy cover, so you need a stiff rod to get a good hookset and braid to horse the fish out of the slop.
Old 12-02-06, 12:31 PM   #7
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToPwAt'R GuY View Post
FlyRod has this one covered.
Thank you, thank you. But I still won't do two shows a night.

FlyRod has left the building
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-06, 05:18 PM   #8
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Hard Jerkbait: 6-6 Medium
Frog: 6 or 6-6 Heavy, .
jerk bait like a spook a shorter handled or pistol grip rod will work better. i have a busted 6'6' mh rod that is actually 5'8'' this work better than any rod i have found thats longer.. trust me keepin the rod out of the water is less tiring. on a style of baits that is the toughest to work..

frog 7' or 7'6'' feet heavy action -at least- x-heavy is better i have a new rod on order a heavy action 7'8'' fenwick frog stick. massive hook sets are the rule not the exception. braid is my #1 choice minium of 30 pound braid. super braid hooks are a must. use a high speed reel 6.3 or faster.. i use a lefty reel as numberus strikes come when the frog hits the water. if i was using a righty reel i would have missed about 40 bass this past summer..

zooker
Old 12-02-06, 06:25 PM   #9
pig n jig

Spinnerbait-5'6"-7'0 MH with a 21-26" line retreive reel.I use A 5'6" MH rod with a pistol grip for closer target presentations, and a 7' MH rod when fishing flats, points, lateral line bank fishing.

Buzzbait-A 7'6"-8' MH-Heavy rod with a 26'-31" line retreive.I like to keep the rod tip high, so a longer rod fishes easier for me.

Crankbait- 5'6" medium-7'6" mh rod with a 19"-23" line retreive.5'6" for shallow , close cover cranking, 7'6" MH for cranking long flats, points,for large deep cranking baits.

topwater- 5'6 mh glass to 6' medium to 6' MH graphite rods.I use 3 types of rods, a 5'6 Fenwick HMG pistol grip glass rod for zip n ziggys, pop r's, prop baits,dalton special, Gaines killers. 6' medium for sammy types, zara spook jrs,lucky 13, Hub chubs rattalure, spittin images 6'MH for amazon sammy types, spooks, bigger prop baits, jitterbugs.

Hard jerkbait-6' medium spinning-6' medium casting rods.

Frog- 7'6" Heavy rod with any reel with 30-50 lb braid
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-06, 06:45 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
jerk bait like a spook a shorter handled or pistol grip rod will work better. i have a busted 6'6' mh rod that is actually 5'8'' this work better than any rod i have found thats longer.. trust me keepin the rod out of the water is less tiring. on a style of baits that is the toughest to work..

frog 7' or 7'6'' feet heavy action -at least- x-heavy is better i have a new rod on order a heavy action 7'8'' fenwick frog stick. massive hook sets are the rule not the exception. braid is my #1 choice minium of 30 pound braid. super braid hooks are a must. use a high speed reel 6.3 or faster.. i use a lefty reel as numberus strikes come when the frog hits the water. if i was using a righty reel i would have missed about 40 bass this past summer..

zooker
And we all know that ole ZOOK uses AT LEAST 30lb Power Pro. LMAO Hey all jokes aside down here my frogs are thrown on 6 and 6'6" rods. Them thar trees and moss hanging from them trees is a HASSLE with the long rod.
Old 12-10-06, 09:16 PM   #11
skeeter944

same with when you're bank fishing laser,the trees and stuff catch the frog on the way to the target,so i throw mine on a 6'6''mh baitcaster with 25lb mono.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.