Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-09, 11:06 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Dropshot Line...

Ok, I started DS fishing with FireLine tied to a swivel then 6-8lb fluoro leader. I have'nt been too impressed with the FireLine, but I wan't really surprised, being a Berkley line... It wasn't really bad, but definately not my first choice.

So now, I'm decided weather I want to stick with the mainline and leader, or go to one line.

For the mainline and leader, I'd be using 10lb Sufix Performance braid for mainline, tied to a swivel, and then the same 6-8lb fluoro. For straight line, It'd be the same 6-8lb Seaguar Carbon Pro.

So, braid w/ fluoro leader, or straight fluoro? Also, if I go with the leader, do you think it's better to use the swivel or not?

BB
Old 02-14-09, 12:16 PM   #2
garry_3000
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use 10 pound vicious floro and an 1/8 tru tungston dropshot weight and 2 ot gama dropshot hook and an 7 md setyr spin rod.
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 01:31 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

i use 6# seaguar
Old 02-14-09, 01:38 PM   #4
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use 8# BPS Fluoro
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 01:44 PM   #5
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Make sure when buying small diameter fluorocarbon, buy on a normal 5" spool, not a 3" spool. Since smaller diameter lines tend to come on the small, 3" spools, the fluorocarobn tends to curl more than on a 5" spool.

As for me, I use one main line, 8-lb. Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon. A swivel or knot is one more thing to go wrong in a rig.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 03:53 PM   #6
Bender

I've been using a straight line, no leader but I might change this year. For me it had been P-Line Halo 6#, 8#, and Seaguar 8#.
No problems but I have to decide if the increased sensitivity and visibility of using braid is worth the hassle of having a leader and extra knot in the line. Hmmmmm.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 06:22 PM   #7
aikenyounggun

my friend just uses 6# to 8# mono, whatever the kind berkeley makes... i forget the name
Old 02-14-09, 06:24 PM   #8
abu4600

I use 8# green mono. No leader.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-09, 01:00 AM   #9
bassboogieman

Drop shotting usually means a deeper presentation and I prefer braid on a 7' medium spinning rod. No stretch gives a better hookset when fishing deep. A reel spooled totally with flurocarbon works well also, but braid eliminates the issue of line memory. With braid I want a flurocarbon leader - about 4'. Swivel is a matter of preference, I don't use one. As for the sinker I have stopped using the "special" dropshot weigts - regular bell sinkers are half the price of a dropshot weight and do the job just fine. I secure the sinker with a bobber stopper, so it will still release if it gets hung up.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-09, 01:25 PM   #10
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Like bassboogieman, I Drop Shot using 10 lb braid. For now it's still Power Pro, but when the time comes it will be Sufix Preformence Braid for sure. I tie on a 8 lb test Berkley XL mono as a leader using a Albright or Reverse Albright knot, usually 4 feet does the trick. I don't use a swivel. No need to as braid has absolutely no line twist issues. Make sure that you leave a min of 1 ft from the hook to the main line so there is no line visibility issues to be concerned with. I'm also careful that my weight is 12-14 inches from the hook.

You can fish this setup shallow or deep. No line stretch, no big hook sets needed. Works everytime.
Old 02-15-09, 06:26 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Alright guys, I was still thinking about what to do when Iwas looking at BPs at line, then, I looked down and saw a spool of 10lb Sufix braid in the cart... Must've been the monkey.

I also switched my Shimano Sahara with my little Abu Cardinal 301. After a bit of backing, I spooled it up with 10lb line. Right now I've using a swivel, but Imay change later. After a hour or so of ice breaking on the pond with the little boat, I got my DS rod, the only thing I didn't try a couple days ago. I got 3 bites, and almost had one to the boat. For this early and the majority of the pond covered in ice, I'd say it was a good day, even though I didn't catch anything.

BB
Old 02-15-09, 06:44 PM   #12
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Alright guys, I was still thinking about what to do when Iwas looking at BPs at line, then, I looked down and saw a spool of 10lb Sufix braid in the cart... Must've been the monkey.

I also switched my Shimano Sahara with my little Abu Cardinal 301. After a bit of backing, I spooled it up with 10lb line. Right now I've using a swivel, but Imay change later. After a hour or so of ice breaking on the pond with the little boat, I got my DS rod, the only thing I didn't try a couple days ago. I got 3 bites, and almost had one to the boat. For this early and the majority of the pond covered in ice, I'd say it was a good day, even though I didn't catch anything.

BB
Why the swivel? There is no line twist issues with braid. The swivel only adds one more knot to the equation. Use either a Albright knot or a Uni to Uni knot to join your leader to the braid.
Old 02-15-09, 06:48 PM   #13
BigBassin144

I never thought of that. The main reason I'm using it now is to I can easily change the length of the fluoro leader, or the whole thing if it breaks off.

BB
Old 02-15-09, 07:09 PM   #14
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I never thought of that. The main reason I'm using it now is to I can easily change the length of the fluoro leader, or the whole thing if it breaks off.

BB

You never have to change the length of your leader. Use a 4 ft leader 1-2 ft down to the hook via a Palomar knot then through the hook eye a 2nd time front to back. The weight is 12-14 inches below the hook. If you're using a regular drop shot hook, you'll never break off due to getting hung up. If you tie on, then you will break off at the weight 8-10 times. Just retie the weight on. If the tag end gets too short, then cut the tag end some and and tie on another 2 ft leader for the weight. Trim to fit. The fish don't care about the knot below the hook.

75% of my drop shoting is done by pitching so the line isn't directly below the boat. Since I fish most shallow weed lines I want to keep the boat out deeper. You fish the Drop Shot with a semi slack line, so your lure is actually a lot closer to the bottom. Twitching the rod tip will get them interested sooner or later.

I don't fish a Drop Shot in heavy or thick weeds as I'm always loosing my weight.
Old 02-15-09, 08:14 PM   #15
Bob Smith

BB, I am pretty much ditto with Joel on this one. I use 15# or 20# Power Pro (braid) for my main line, and 10# Seaguar Carbon Pro for the leader. I just double unit the two together (no swivel). I use the same leader set up regardless of whether I am dropshotting or Shakey Head. I haven't foudn water too clear to use this set up in yet.
Old 02-15-09, 11:34 PM   #16
BigBassin144

I'll probably stick with the 8lb fluoro, and go down to 6lb in super clear water. I may just tie the fluoro straight tot he braid though. I'd go fishing tomarrow, but I'm getting tired of breaking the new ice that's forming on our pond.

BB
Old 02-15-09, 11:48 PM   #17
tnfisherman

im going to try some pline foroclear in 10lb for drop shoting and wormin
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 12:08 AM   #18
Rebbasser

tn, that is what I use and it is a fantastic dropshot line, although I use 8 lb.
Old 02-16-09, 09:24 AM   #19
tnfisherman

how does it look in the water
Old 02-16-09, 09:27 AM   #20
BigBassin144

I've used the fluoroclear, and it's not bad. I haven't fished it in any of the crystal clear lakes of Michigan yet, but in my pond (about 3 ft vis) it's not bad. It's pretty much between mono and fluoro. It handles well too.

BB
Old 02-16-09, 11:44 AM   #21
tnfisherman

thanks the lake i fish has bout 2-4 foot vis mostof the time some times it lookd like 10 foot vis,,,,,,,, i have use the berkley vanish for drop shoting but it was as a leader
Old 02-16-09, 07:21 PM   #22
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnfisherman View Post
how does it look in the water
Like fluoro-invisible. The fluorocarbon coating does the trick.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.