Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-10, 12:47 AM   #1
pampy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Throttle lever

I have a quicksilver 3000 throttle unit. Need to find out how to tighten the whole unit. Does not want to shift right and the whole unit is loose. Sometimes the button to push stays in and will not go into gear. I might need to take the whole unit loose.
Thank for any help
pampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-10, 11:51 AM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Doubt if its internal in the shifter,adjustments on the shift linkage on the motor itself,or by a mechanic.If the problem persists after being adjusted several times,can be just worn out internally,but if never adjusted prior most likly the linkage adj will fix.
As they get worn they get sorta loose as far as the controls go,other than tighting adjustments making sure all screws are tight lil one can do.
I have some 30 year old omc controls,still work just a lot of slop,is your quicksilver anything like an electric shift,being pushbutton?
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-10, 09:12 PM   #3
pampy
BassFishin.Com Member

I need help getting to the screws or bolts . Cant find any way to tighten the thing. Cant find out how to get to the screws. Thats the real problem. Cant tell if the handle has to come off first to find the fasteners.
pampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-10, 10:59 PM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Far as I know there is no adjustment inside its via the cable at the motor,so if still in place inside merely adjust the adjusting nut,where cable enters the motor at.
As for getting the handle off etc

1. Press the "throttle only button" and move the handle forward to a WOT position.
2. Pop out the TO button cap. Unfortunately Mercury made a large number of 3000 models. The TO button cap may be square or round. The square one can be popped by two flathead screwdrivers, the first one to lift the edge so that the second one can get a good purchase at the end and is able to pop it. The round one also can be popped by using two screwdrivers simultaneously.
3. There is a brass nut 11/16 inside. Remove it.
4. The handle will come off easily.
5. If the trim switch on the handle needs to be accessed, there is a screw on the underside, which can be removed.
6. If the control unit ( the rhomboidal metal case on the other side of the plywood, containing levers, throttle and shift cables and neutral safety switch yellow wires with red strip) needs to be removed, you will have to remove the plastic panel on the outside, after removing the handle. The panel is held in place by 6 bolts. The 3 larger ones 7/16, go into the control unit housing and are easily removed. They are short. The three small ones 3/8 size, but long, are used to attach the plastic panel to plywood. They have locking nuts and brass washers on the other side. Unfortunately, once you start removing these, the nuts rotate freely and the bolt cannot be removed without holding the nuts on the other side. This can extremely frustrating because there is usually no access to these nuts. Try anyway. Usually you are able to remove two and then the third comes off easy. When you put it back, forget the washers and locknuts. Try some other means of fastening the unit to plywood. When I did this, I used a larger drill to make recess in the plywood centered on the already drilled hole. Not through, but just the depth of the nut. Then the nut was placed in the recess and glued in place with epoxy.The bolt then easily goes in and out.

There are two design flaws (at least!) in the 3000 model, the removal of handle should not require popping off plastic tabs which have a tendency to break. There should be a couple of small screws. Secondly, who but an idiot would put bolts to hold the unit to the plywood but put the nuts on the other side and almost inaccessible. In fact the three 7/16 bolts easily hold the assembly in place by sandwiching the plywood firmly between the panel and the control unit. Even stainless screws instead of bolts would have been nice. copied this from wiki answers
But see if you can externally tighten the cable,as those plastic tabs easily break,and that sounds like a pia
Another way around is to buy a used one like off ebay older control boxes go cheap last merc one I sent there got 60 bucks,
I run omc so any boat I get gets merc stuff removed.One of the things I like about omc is a 98 control box will work on a 70s model motor same wiring plugins same evrything,I have 1990 controls and recently replaced with a 77 motor,didnt have to switch anything out,had a 96 model 200 previously replaced with a 77 140 xflow just to get back out,and not sorry one bit runs like a top.

Last edited by lilmule; 11-27-10 at 11:21 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.