Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-11, 06:18 PM   #1
smittyman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default using a leader with braid

im somewhat confused as to whats correct here... people have told me that you should always use a leader with braid, whether its mono, flouro, or co-polymer. i have also heard that it really depends on the application whether or not you should use a leader. and now this past weekend i fished with my best friends father, and he didnt use a leader at all.

i really dont know which is correct and which isn't.. or if there's a correct answer at all! LOL!

just lookin for any feedback.. thanks boys! (and girls..)
Old 05-25-11, 06:22 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I keep it simple....I never use a leader. Most of the time I'm fishing in water that looks a lot like chocolate milk, so line visibility isn't a big issue for me.
There is no definite answer, though. Sometimes you might need a leader, different situations you might not. If you're throwing frogs, definitely no leader...it's just a weak link in the chain. Jigs maybe/maybe not, depending on your water clarity.
What are you using braid for? That might help.
Old 05-25-11, 06:28 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i am like ssipiboy ont is. i never use a leader either when using braided line. the reason most folks use a leader is like daniel said, depends on what oyu are throwing. however i never use a leader no matter what i am throwing on braid.
Old 05-25-11, 06:30 PM   #4
smittyman
BassFishin.Com Member

i use braid solely when throwing in thick cover (grass, lilys, slop, sticks) because once they hit it ya gotta get em out! lol.. everything else like spinners, buzz, cranks i use mono or flouro.
Old 05-25-11, 06:35 PM   #5
smittyman
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks guys.. ill cut my leader off now then LOL. and to think.. i was getting so good at tying that Albright Special knot......
Old 05-25-11, 06:37 PM   #6
MississippiBoy

Yeah, if you're throwing in thick cover and trash and slop, no leader. You've effectively made your 30 or 50 or 65 pound line into 12 or 17 (or whatever pound test your leader is). Line visibility is definitely not a consideration here, so go straight braid.
Old 05-25-11, 08:35 PM   #7
bassboogieman

I only use braid for two things: hollow bodied frogs, 50# braid and no leader and spinning gear, 20# braid with flurocarbonon leader of 8# - 10#. I use the leader on spinning gear for a couple reasons, it's a slow, finesse presentation usually in pretty clear water and those baits tend to get hung up, so the leader allows me to break off the hook and not loose or leave several yards of braid in the water. It's whatever works best for you, there really is no right or wrong way as both work.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 08:42 PM   #8
SaminVa
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I do what bassboogiemandoes.. I use the fluoro leaders on braid in the spinning reels in clear water... usually when I'm throwing a shakey head or a weedless wacky rig.
I never use a leader on the frog or jig rod.
Old 05-25-11, 09:14 PM   #9
ted48
BassFishin.Com Member

I mostly fish a lake that visibility is at least 6 ft plus, which i think is fairly clear. I have never used a leader on braid and I catch up to 30 plus Crappie each trip trolling crankbaits on braid tied direct. Catch up to a dozen LMB on each trip again all tied direct to braid. I don't think leaders are necessary. But Each to his own, If you want to use one go ahead.
ted48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 09:34 PM   #10
lilmule

Well its niot a one thing fits all,as for visability 10 pd power pro disapears as 2 lb diameter,(worming)on a jig I never do but in clear water downsixe to 20-30 pd test.
I do use a leader on a crig,braid to the swivel permits me to feel every bump,mussel shell out there and if i get hung up can break it off at the swivel but not easily.
As for my frogging no straight braid however many use the leader on say diving frogs as braid floats,capt kens designer bass frogs as an example or the new diver that came out with a diving lip.
So use of a leader is applicable when one desies to get it all back at the expense of a sacrificial leader as in a crig,one has a difficult time breaking off 40 lb braid while in a boat that gives,or wants the bait to dive to its fullest extent.
With braid to the swivel one feels the fish breathe on it,feels everything yet not out an entire spool of braid if hung up,so it has uses.

Many knots do not lend themselves to braid easily as slip,crankbait loop knot being one,so there are reasons at times to switch over but no set rules.Myself tie straight braid to everything except a crig 50-40 pd braid (12 pd mono leader),using smaller diameter braid to overcome its diving problems,like crankbaits.
Fla hogs however have been caught on braid and heavy mono leaders and properly joined works fine.

Last edited by lilmule; 05-25-11 at 09:51 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 10:33 PM   #11
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyman View Post
im somewhat confused as to whats correct here... people have told me that you should always use a leader with braid, whether its mono, flouro, or co-polymer. i have also heard that it really depends on the application whether or not you should use a leader. and now this past weekend i fished with my best friends father, and he didnt use a leader at all.

i really dont know which is correct and which isn't.. or if there's a correct answer at all! LOL!

These are opinions at best and worst. However there is some truth and the conditions you face should be what influences your decision to use a leader or not with braid.

What you have heard from people is probably based on their experiences using braid. The key here is what they face might not be what you face. They are most certainly not wrong but what they subscribe to might not fit your situation.

If you didn't know, braid is opaque, unlike nylon, fluorocarbon, or co-polymer line. So it is probably fair to say it is the most visible. Now ask yourself... Is line visibility as issue where I battle against bass?

Water Clarity - Clear
For the angler fishing ultra-clear water where fish might be skittish, it might behoove him or her to add a fluorocarbon or other clear leader to his line so that he or she benefits from the feedback braid transmits and yet have the business end in "stealth" mode.

Water Clarity - Stained
For the angler fishing stained water, the opacity braid possesses is probably not going to be an issue so the use of a leader might not be necessary.

You see? Just how my geeky self approaches the unknown. There is no truly right or wrong as to whether or not to use a leader in and of itself as opposed to analyzing the situation to determine whether or not a leader would be a benefit the angler or not.

Just be sure to really do a good job when tying the joining knot. As you know, knots are by definition the weak spots in your set up.So when using a leader, you have at least two weak spots: 1) Main line to leader and 2) leader to bait. A well tied knot joining the line minimizes the possibility of knot failure. It would be a pity to lose the fish of a lifetime due to a poorly tied joining knot.
Old 05-25-11, 10:53 PM   #12
bamabassman

island hits the nail on the head again. good job buddy.
Old 05-26-11, 09:54 AM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

There are two reasons I personally use a leader.

First is what has been talked about above: Visibility. I'm not quite sure it really makes a difference, even in clear water. But if adding that FC leader gives me any additional confidence at all, it's worth it.

The second reason I add a leader is to make breaking off easier. At Wilson and Wheeler lakes during our trip to Alabama, the water clarity wasn't too good (at least compared to water I fish up here). It definitely could have gotten away with straight braid, but I chose to add a FC leader to my braid. Braid, especially heavy braid, and be tough to break off. You get hung, and many times you have to cut the braid. That leaves a lot of line in the water; something I don't like doing. Adding a 12-15lb FC leader to my 30lb braid ensures that I'll break off at the line/lure knot, somewhere along the leader, or at the leader/mainline knot. So the most line I'm leaving in the water is a couple feet.

BB
Old 05-26-11, 12:40 PM   #14
DaveW731

Default I'm with BigBassin on both counts

I like being able to not only break off, but to cut off more easily with mono or flouro, so I tend to use it in all circumstances. Confidence factor for me is huge too and I just feel more confident with 4' or so of leader, particularly when I am fishing slow or finesse baits that give the fish a chance to look it over.
I do agree that leader is not necessary when throwing frogs into heavy cover. I use 30# braid for that purpose and I have always been able to pull it free if the frog gets stuck on a weed or a pad.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 03:01 PM   #15
smittyman
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks guys, great thread.
Old 05-26-11, 03:05 PM   #16
islandbass

Dave and BB,

Great point! I completely forgot about that reason for a leader and I use it often too. Breaking off 30 or 40# braid can be tough but breaking off a leader of lesser strength less difficult.
Old 05-26-11, 07:23 PM   #17
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyman View Post

Nope!

How ever the rule of thumb is...

Use a leader in clear water, and when fishing a bottom contact bait unless you're around vegetation (I feel this blends in fine).

Plus, fish don't know what the line is, so why would they care?
Old 05-26-11, 09:24 PM   #18
Lvitch

Seen guys catch fish on senkos in clear water on 65 lb braid. I don't buy into the line shy thing much. I don't use a leader, and will straighten most hooks with anything heavier than 20 lb. What ever ya like I guess.
Old 05-27-11, 08:02 AM   #19
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted48 View Post
I mostly fish a lake that visibility is at least 6 ft plus, which i think is fairly clear. I have never used a leader on braid and I catch up to 30 plus Crappie each trip trolling crankbaits on braid tied direct. Catch up to a dozen LMB on each trip again all tied direct to braid. I don't think leaders are necessary. But Each to his own, If you want to use one go ahead.
I also like braid without a leader for crank baits for two reasons:
1. The thinner diameter gets the bait deeper.
2. Crank-baits move fast enough that fish don't have time to study the bait. So even in clear water, I don't feel line visibility is as much of an issue.

P.S. The sensativity of braid is nice too to tell a light hit from a weed or leaf.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 11:28 AM   #20
Ouachita
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile

In the gin clear lakes I fish in the west a florocarbon leader is a must. With the heavy fishing pressure and being able to see 30 plus feet without a lot of cover if you don't use a leader chances are you'll go home empty handed.
Ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.