Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-11, 12:43 AM   #1
xr650jkallen
BassFishin.Com Member

Default night time fishing

im a newbie at bass fishing at night and need some advice on lure type and color that works best in lightly staind water
xr650jkallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 12:51 AM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Any color will work as long as it is black.
Seriously, when it comes to colors, unless there is a full moon, that is all that I throw. I like single colorado blade spinnerbaits or a chatterbait. I want a slow steady thump. I also will throw dark cranks and topwater.

When the moon is full, I almost never put down the fluke.
Old 05-26-11, 01:18 AM   #3
xr650jkallen
BassFishin.Com Member

when its a full moon what color fluke? i havent ever used a fluke how are they rigged
Old 05-26-11, 01:24 AM   #4
xr650jkallen
BassFishin.Com Member

and what is yalls perfered brand i usally rely on zoom stuff but i havent fished any flukes before
Old 05-26-11, 01:40 AM   #5
cassidyta

While I call all of them flukes, I don't always use the zoom brand. (Much like not all stick worms are actual Senkos)
Bass Assasins work for me too.
I use the pearl white ones. As far as rigging goes, I like to tegas rig them weightless. Just make sure the hook is straight.
Old 05-26-11, 01:44 AM   #6
xr650jkallen
BassFishin.Com Member

awesome cassidyta apprciate the help looks like im gonna go by wally world to check out there selection and if i dont like what they have i guess a bass pro visit will be in line
Old 05-26-11, 01:48 AM   #7
cassidyta

In a pinch, a 4" senko style bait can be worked like a soft jerkbait. Cast it out and twitch it back.
Old 05-26-11, 11:06 AM   #8
walkeraviator

Cassidy is right... black is teh color of choice at night. I thow black buzzbaits, black single colorado spinner baits, and Black cranks. Then when its time to hit bottom, i like a black/blue jig with a very flappy trailer or a 7" curly tail worm T-Rigged. This can be blck neon, blue fleck, or junebug.

On full moon nights, I have incredible success with a 7 Inch Berkely Power Worm in BlueFleck/Firetail T-Rigged.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-11, 04:42 PM   #9
Ptb803
BassFishin.Com Member

I have had good success fishing @ night. When the heat is on during the day ,hit the docks at night with big black worms with a rattle inside
Ptb803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-11, 10:28 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I used to fish weekly night tournaments on Table Rock and still night fish quite a bit. One conclusion I have reached over the years is people tend to over think night fishing. True that Black is a great color at night, and also that baits that make a lot of noise can be good choices. But I have been schooled several times by partners throwing a shaky head in the back of the boat while I was throwing jigs with rattles or spinnerbaits with big blades. I have caught a ton of fish at night on jigs, Chigger Craws, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, Powerworms, and yes even shaky heads. I still tend to stick with baits that either make noise or move a lot of water in darker colors at night but basically if it will catch them in daylight it will catch them in the dark.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 07:53 AM   #11
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In about 2 weeks, 90 % of my fishing will be overnight. I work overnight , so I like to fish that way also, most nights only a handful of boats to contend with
Jitterbugs, Manns Jelly Worms, Big Colorodo Spinner baits, and a few types of frogs and creatures, mostly in black or dark green and all is good.
Favorite the big Jitterbug XL, I switch the hooks out first.
I fish the same creekbeds and weed beds that I do in the day, with some different approachs, this is the most impotant
' I fish up in North East PA, our water is very clear here. On full moon nights the bass are morelikely to be at the base of the weeds or in the weeds, as if it were a sunny day, more often than not
One overcast or dark nights I look for them above the weeds, and especially in nearby rock piles
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 08:41 AM   #12
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I used to fish weekly night tournaments on Table Rock and still night fish quite a bit. One conclusion I have reached over the years is people tend to over think night fishing. True that Black is a great color at night, and also that baits that make a lot of noise can be good choices. But I have been schooled several times by partners throwing a shaky head in the back of the boat while I was throwing jigs with rattles or spinnerbaits with big blades. I have caught a ton of fish at night on jigs, Chigger Craws, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, Powerworms, and yes even shaky heads. I still tend to stick with baits that either make noise or move a lot of water in darker colors at night but basically if it will catch them in daylight it will catch them in the dark.
Lol! well said! I run night tournaments and fish a bunch of other folk's tournaments also. While everything that has been said is true at some time or another, my favorite and most consistent go to is the shakey head with a Zoom Finesse worm in watermelon candy spiked with chartreuse, and the GRANDEBASS 4" Indigo worm in Green pumpkin spiked with chartreuse. The clear water here in north Georgia allows the daytime colors very well and it doesn't seem to matter whether there is a moon or not. My next favorite rig is the 1/4 oz jig in Green Pumpkin purple flake skirt and a green pumpkin 4" Yamamoto twin tail grub spiked with chartreuse. I keep the other baits that have been mentioned handy too except my favorite spinnerbait trailer is the Yamamoto twin tail grub in Cinnamon with black fleck. I still use the Uncle Josh 11A Frog in black and red on my buzzbaits though (the fish seem to grab the bait better with the frog on top).
Old 05-31-11, 12:59 PM   #13
pabassman
BassFishin.Com Member

The lake I usually fish has lots of smallies. Largies are a bonus in a tournament. I like to cover ground. Black cranks are first choice. Black buzzbaits, spinnerbaits see their share of use too. A black spook fished slow has done some damage too.
pabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 05:34 PM   #14
Ebbetsguy

I live right up the mountain and work in Drums. Fish Mauch Chunk and the River mostly
Old 05-31-11, 10:52 PM   #15
pabassman
BassFishin.Com Member

hello. I'm in Beech Mtn. I fish mostly on Wallenpaupack
Old 05-31-11, 11:33 PM   #16
Ebbetsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabassman View Post
hello. I'm in Beech Mtn. I fish mostly on Wallenpaupack

I work across the way from you, at Job Corps

hey if you want to spend some time on Chunk, pm me, I have an empty seat now and again
Old 06-01-11, 04:34 PM   #17
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

Ive always been told Buzz baits and dark colored jigs and plastics.
Old 06-01-11, 07:24 PM   #18
Lvitch

Throw the same stuff as in the day, just be sure they are dark colors, theres nothing blacker than black. Also big fish n critters come out at night, don't be afraid to go bigger on lures at night.12-14 in worms work well.
Old 06-02-11, 08:55 AM   #19
pabassman
BassFishin.Com Member

Sounds good E, I fish alone a lot too because of my work schedule.
Old 06-06-11, 12:02 AM   #20
Ptb803
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvitch View Post
Throw the same stuff as in the day, just be sure they are dark colors, theres nothing blacker than black. Also big fish n critters come out at night, don't be afraid to go bigger on lures at night.12-14 in worms work well.
I agree, a 10in. Black berkley power worm has been my no.1 at night
Ptb803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 08:35 PM   #21
sdesi2010
BassFishin.Com Member

Jitterbug, and of course black
sdesi2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.