Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-09, 07:46 AM   #1
Denny_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Fine tune a depthfinder

I put a new Depthfinder on my boat last year, and I'm not getting a true readying. I would say it's about 2 to 3 feet off a true reading. I mounted
the unit per the factory instruction and the recommended angel. It's a
Hummingbird 525 unit. Thanks Denny
Ps. I have heard that diff. bottoms will effect the reading.
Denny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 09:38 AM   #2
Mac2

Mark your anchor rope with a black marker, let's say at ten feet up from the bottom of the anchor......lower it off the back end of your boat near the transducer to the mark and use your trolling motor to head ashore until the anchor touches bottom...read the Depthfinder to check it out for sure. As for fine tuning, I haven't a clue. Good Fishing, Mac

p.s. To do this, you'd best have a non weedy bottom.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 10:19 AM   #3
Kevin
Administrator

If you are consistently off by a certain amount (ie. 2 feet)... could it be that you haven't accounted for the keel offset of the transducer? All sonar units come with a menu setting called "keel offset" which allows you to enter the number of feet to add to the depth reading. So if your transducer is a 1.5 feet below the surface, you can offset your unit's readout to compensate for that. It may be that your menu setting for this variable is out of whack or needs adjusted.
Old 01-23-09, 10:34 AM   #4
Wags

Send a message via AIM to Wags Send a message via Yahoo to Wags

May I add a depthfinder 101 question here? I am a relative newbie to using these things, when the boat is still and the graph shows a change in bottom (ie. structure or weed line ), is it more likely that the change is running from front to back or side to side?? I know it's a basic question, but I really need to learn to read that thing better instead of basically using it for depth and temp!!
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 10:37 AM   #5
Wags

Send a message via AIM to Wags Send a message via Yahoo to Wags

I would assume the change would be side to side while the boat is moving.....I am just not exactly sure what I am looking at??????
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 10:46 AM   #6
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
May I add a depthfinder 101 question here? I am a relative newbie to using these things, when the boat is still and the graph shows a change in bottom (ie. structure or weed line ), is it more likely that the change is running from front to back or side to side?? I know it's a basic question, but I really need to learn to read that thing better instead of basically using it for depth and temp!!
If you are sitting perfectly still, technically you should receive the exact same readings. The problem lies in the fact that boats are never perfectly still, and the sonar unit is trying to interpret the strength of each ping and display it accordingly. Anything within your transducer cone's field of pickup is displayable by your sonar. If you are sitting still and are seeing quick variances in depth, I would assume something is awry. Or you're sitting atop some serious cover/structure.
Old 01-23-09, 04:12 PM   #7
Cranebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post

Wags, If your transducer is transom mounted I would say being closest to the boat transom is left on your screen and right is the farthest cone projection.
If your transducer is trolling motor mounted ,then you would have to know how the transducer is positioned to know which way to interpet the screen image.
There are side imaging transducers which split and show you a side image as well. P N J
Old 01-23-09, 04:19 PM   #8
Kevin
Administrator

I should note that there is no way of looking at your sonar screen and knowing whether something you see on it is slightly in front of you, behind you, to the left or to the right. If you are really good and understand sonar, you can make a reasonable assumption a fish is on the edge of your cone, but rarely do you use your sonar in this fashion except in certain circumstances. Everything you see come across the screen is a running graph of what is being recorded beneath the transducer in its cone of coverage. The far right portion of your screen, which is being updated constantly, is the real-time readings coming in. Everything other than the small sliver updating on the right-hand side, is previously graphed information (history state). Hope that makes sense.
Old 01-23-09, 04:31 PM   #9
rodman rat

Kevin I wish you would do a 101 Video on these things I like wags use it for depth and temp. I could not see a fish on it even if it ment saving my life!
rodman rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 05:15 PM   #10
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

when you use the fish id on the humminbirds some will show as all black some as the outline of a fish. one is center of cone, the other is in the wider view. check your manual cause i forgot which is which.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 05:22 PM   #11
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thanks for the info and ideas guys, Denny and I study the depth finder constantly and analyze the breaks but more often than not looking for bait fish. His eagerness to learn has really paid off these last 6-7 years, I'd put him up against anyone at this point.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 05:57 PM   #12
bamabassman

i second the 101 on depht finder leson. bob smith is gonna help me out some too. fine tune it this year.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 06:17 PM   #13
BassBandit

"Sonar and Fish Finders"
http://theb*******s.com/e107_plugins...php?board=68.0

Look in pinned section see if it helps.

Doc Samson and Ouachita are an expert in those field.
Old 01-25-09, 01:48 PM   #14
Denny_K

Default Thanks

Thanks a million for all the feed back, it means alot to me. I'm gonna try my luck as soon as it warms up. And Thanks a million for the very kind words JB , that means alot to me. I have learned alot from you over these years and very pround to call ya my fishing buddy
Thanks everyone
Denny
Denny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 04:29 PM   #15
Tall

FYI

A bass pro sponsered by lowrance in their booth as a BFLW event told me to look at the sonar image and it would have one side of the arc will be longer then the other. I think it was if the right side of the arc was longer it was on the left side of the transducer and if the left side of the arc was longer it was on the right side of the transducer. It is one way or the other, but I think I have it right.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 02:54 PM   #16
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

During normal operation the Chart Speed should be set at the fastest setting and it is helpfull to pay particular attention to the RIGHT SIDE of the screen since that is the area currently being moved over.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 08:08 PM   #17
bamabassman

okay....we are gonna have to watch denny and jb at the get together gang. they are getting kinda weird here, aren't they? KIDDING GUYS!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 10:53 PM   #18
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Oh my, anyways back to depthfinders.

I've also heard, the FishID setting should be turned off because it will identify what looks like a fish when actually its just a twig or some kind of clutter suspended in the water.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 09:38 PM   #19
skeeterman

Send a message via AIM to skeeterman

You guys keep it coming.My depth finder is driving me crazy.I need to learn how to read this thing bad !!!!!!!!!!!
skeeterman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.