Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-11, 10:35 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Cold weedy water.

I've been skunked the last few trips. It's been cloudy, and colder (high 40's low 50's as apposed to 60's), the lipless cranks aren't getting much attention. The sun's come up today but theirs a pretty strong NE wind at 16mph.

It's too weedy for a suspending jerkbait, and I'm just getting caught up in the weeds. I've tried a swim jig too to no avail. I'm thinking about trying to weasel my way through with a shaky head, on a ball head and seeing if that produced. But with the strong wind, it'll be hard... so that almost eliminates anything bottom contact. I'll try a skinny dipper slow rolled around the grass to see if that produces.

What do you guys thing?
Old 05-15-11, 10:39 AM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Might try a soft jerkbait like a fluke on a weighted hook, rig it weedless, should have enough weight to cast well and elimate the wind problem.
Old 05-15-11, 12:52 PM   #3
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

A heavy spinnerbait with small willow blades. Slow roll it as slow as possible.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 05:10 PM   #4
Bassboss

Thanks guys. I went out today and didn't get any bass, caught a nice 29" pike though on a skinny dipper. I tried a power shaky head on a nemesis senko, and a 3/16oz nemesis ball shaky head. Nothing. Switched to a skinny dipper on a keel weighted hook. I cast by a brush pile, and was surprised I didn't get a hit there, it was right on the out side of a few young pads. As soon as that thought that a nice pike slammed by skinny dipper! Did a few head shakes, and a run or two and a flipped her up! The hook popped out, and I did and Ike move and dropped by rod and tackled it!

That's dinner!
Old 05-15-11, 11:10 PM   #5
keithdog

I wonder what a buzz bait would do for you. I know the water is cold there, but I've read of guys catchin bass on buzz baits in cold water. Might be worth a try.
Old 05-16-11, 08:30 AM   #6
coldbasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thumbs up Cold weedy water

Try looking for fall and winter pattern fish. We were out on Sat. and boated 80 bass (smallmouth) water temps were 41 and 47 degrees most fish came off of reefs in 20' + depths. We tried shallow water too and only 4 bass in the shallow water. No cows bot lots of 2 to 4 lb ers. All came on swim baits just off the bottom.
Good Luck
Coldbasser
coldbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 09:18 PM   #7
Lvitch

I would say try flipping the grass, especially around rocks. When they bury up ya gotta go after them.
Old 05-16-11, 09:29 PM   #8
WatterBoy

5" or 7" senko on a weedless wacky-rig, that's what I'd try. And that's what I plan to be tossing first in a couple weeks when the season opens here.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 11:03 PM   #9
Imgoodatwhatido

fish a jig if the wind is bad and you want bottom contact. a heavy jig. Real slow
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 11:40 PM   #10
Bender

One last thing to try might be a lightweight chatterbait. I've had pretty good luck this year with cooler water. Had to go slow with it though, Booyah makes a 1/8th oz. one that is small, but catches fish.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-11, 08:47 PM   #11
Bassboss

Yeah, I really wanna try a chatterbait before the water warms up to much. I just gotta get my lazy arse to wallmart and get one!

I placed a TW order last weekend forgot all about 'em. Oh well.. it's getting here friday and I'll be happy!
Old 05-17-11, 09:07 PM   #12
tim4081

If the weeds are already tough, try a t-rigged senko. I do best in colder water with the smaller 4". The fish may be staged in the deeper water off the weedlines so if you find these areas use a jerkbait. Another lure that a lot of people don't think of early in the year (for us in the north) is a popper. These have been working really well here in Michigan as the fish move shallow during the warmer parts of the day.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-11, 10:02 PM   #13
lilmule

If pads are up regardless of water temp being cool toss a floating frog if nothing else will get dinner again,as pike slam them as well.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-11, 10:38 PM   #14
Bassboss

Went today again after school.

Caught 3 little ones. One on a Shallow diving square bill bomber, the other 2 on a T-1 spinnerbait. Also went and tossed some buzz baits for some pike after my dad got home around 7:30 around sun down. Dad caught a pike.. skinny little 26" incher, stuck him in the car to go with the 28 incher I caught last weekend. We were fixing to leave and I took "one more cast" and nailed a 3 pounder on the big buzzbait.

I think it might be getting pretty close to spinnerbait time too..
Old 05-22-11, 05:04 AM   #15
IowaBasser

...pretty close to spinner-bait time. That sounds about right.

I had similar conditions that you were originally describing about a month ago in Southern Iowa (though different weeds.) It took me awhile to zero in on a pattern, and still the bass weren't that consistent, but a cold front was moving through so I was happy with what I got. A red T-rigged YUM Wooly Hawg Craw worked for me.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 08:23 AM   #16
SaminVa

Maybe a 1 oz Hack Attack jig.. to punch thru the weeds & keep contact w/ bottom. Don't give up on that buzzbait & frog. YOu'll be suprized how early in the season they'll blow up on it. I was getting bites on the buzzbait in March
Old 05-22-11, 01:14 PM   #17
keggs17
BassFishin.Com Member

i agree with the fellas, chatterbait and senko. since the water is cold and both of those baits work well in those conditions, thers a way you can use both to try and get a reaction strike, start by throwing the chatter, letting it sink sligtly and with a steady retrieve, take the bait and rip it over the top of the weed mats, if that is unsucessful wacky rig a senko, and throw that for abit in the same spots you were throwing the chatter, since the senko is a smaller bait and has a much slower prestation the bass wont strike the lure because of the way it looks but because of how it falls differently, this has pulled bass out for me in cold water before mabey it will help ya!
keggs17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 04:48 PM   #18
Bassboss

Thanks again guys! The water's warmed up into the 60's now.. but thanks for the tips for next year!
Old 05-22-11, 05:10 PM   #19
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Thanks again guys! The water's warmed up into the 60's now.. but thanks for the tips for next year!
Just my opinion here, Boss, but I don't think you need to wait until next year to use the bait and presentation ideas shared in this thread. Just because the water temps are above 60 (or some other arbitrary number) doesn't mean these things just stop working. Again, just my opinion. Obviously, you can fish as you like.

WB
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 05:19 PM   #20
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
Just my opinion here, Boss, but I don't think you need to wait until next year to use the bait and presentation ideas shared in this thread. Just because the water temps are above 60 (or some other arbitrary number) doesn't mean these things just stop working. Again, just my opinion. Obviously, you can fish as you like.

WB
Agreed... a senko will work all year round for sure.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.