Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-11, 07:25 PM   #1
BassMan94
BassFishin.Com Member

Default which type of line ?

im currently using trilene monofiloment 12 lb test line on my reel but i dont know if i should be using flurocarbon... i always heard mono was for mostly topwater baits but ive just used it for everything. should i be using flurocarbon if i dont really throw that many topwater baits??
BassMan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 07:45 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Keep with the mono if you only have one rod. Otherwise spool one up with fluoro and the other with mono. If you only have rod.. I recommend getting some copolymer like 10lb p-line CXX, or sunline super natural. It's a low stretch line, and will better for fishing everything.. you'll get much better feel from them as opposed to the trilene.
Old 05-24-11, 07:56 PM   #3
BassMan94
BassFishin.Com Member

would any of those lines u mentioned be at BPS? Im heading down there saturday.
BassMan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 08:27 PM   #4
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Keep with the mono if you only have one rod. Otherwise spool one up with fluoro and the other with mono. If you only have rod.. I recommend getting some copolymer like 10lb p-line CXX, or sunline super natural. It's a low stretch line, and will better for fishing everything.. you'll get much better feel from them as opposed to the trilene.
Good recommendation here. And yes, they carry it at BPS.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 10:00 PM   #5
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mono works great. If you are on a budget, no need to spend extra money on different lines. Save it for lures.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 10:14 PM   #6
Jrob78

P-Line CX and CXX are both great lines that won't break the bank. I haven't found a fluoro yet that I like.
Old 05-24-11, 10:33 PM   #7
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMan94 View Post
would any of those lines u mentioned be at BPS? Im heading down there saturday.
CXX definitely is, not sure about the sunline.

Two thing I'd like to add about CXX.

1) It's stiffer line, don't use it on spinning unless it's like 6lb (even at that weight, I ain't to sure)

2) Don't get any heavier 12lb, it's stiff and STRONG (tests show 10lb breaks at 21 pound )
Old 05-24-11, 10:39 PM   #8
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

What type of reel are you using; spinning or bait-caster? If you're using a spinning reel, I'd reccomend NOT going with a fluro-carbon... A friend of mine spooled a spinning reel with 14 pound Vanish and it miserable. It jumped off the spool and was miserable to fish with. Seems like a lot of the fluorocarbons are stiff and don't handle well on a spinning reel, especially 14 pound and heavier line. Cold weather only compounds the problem with flurocarbon. I've heard that InvisX in the lighter test weights (10 pounds and less) handles very good on a spinning reel, but I have no personal experience.

Sticking with mono is a good option - I like Trilene XT or XL... I like XT for a small river I frequently fish. The current sweeps my line across rocks and the XT holds up great. For lake fishing the XL is very supple and handles a little better than the XT. The XL is pretty reliable, but not quite as nick-resistent as the XT.

Braid would be another option - I prefer braid over mono because the no-stretch qualities of braid make for a super-sensative line compared to mono. Plus Braid is stronger and the thin diameter gets crank-baits deeper. Only when I'm fishing a slow presentation in ultra-clear water and concerned with line visibility will I put down a rod spooled with braid in favor of mono.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 11:52 PM   #9
keithdog

I'll just throw this in. One line to consider is the Suffix Flouroclear line, a flourocarbon coated copoly line. I've been using this line for two years now and it is one of my favorite all around lines. Small diameter, strong and abrasion resistant along with low memory. It casts great.
Old 05-25-11, 01:36 AM   #10
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I'll just throw this in. One line to consider is the Suffix Flouroclear line, a flourocarbon coated copoly line. I've been using this line for two years now and it is one of my favorite all around lines. Small diameter, strong and abrasion resistant along with low memory. It casts great.
Fluoroclear is another great line, it's actually made by P-Line though, not Sufix.
Old 05-25-11, 03:43 AM   #11
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
What type of reel are you using; spinning or bait-caster? If you're using a spinning reel, I'd reccomend NOT going with a fluro-carbon... A friend of mine spooled a spinning reel with 14 pound Vanish and it miserable. It jumped off the spool and was miserable to fish with. Seems like a lot of the fluorocarbons are stiff and don't handle well on a spinning reel, especially 14 pound and heavier line. Cold weather only compounds the problem with flurocarbon. I've heard that InvisX in the lighter test weights (10 pounds and less) handles very good on a spinning reel, but I have no personal experience.

Sticking with mono is a good option - I like Trilene XT or XL... I like XT for a small river I frequently fish. The current sweeps my line across rocks and the XT holds up great. For lake fishing the XL is very supple and handles a little better than the XT. The XL is pretty reliable, but not quite as nick-resistent as the XT.

Braid would be another option - I prefer braid over mono because the no-stretch qualities of braid make for a super-sensative line compared to mono. Plus Braid is stronger and the thin diameter gets crank-baits deeper. Only when I'm fishing a slow presentation in ultra-clear water and concerned with line visibility will I put down a rod spooled with braid in favor of mono.
What you heard about Invizx (at least for the lighter tests) is true. Just remember that not all fc lines are equal. I shudder and the thought for me if I had tried Vanish as the first fc line. As your buddy found out and me too, Vanish, simply stated, sucks! Outright! I too probably would have signed off on fc line altogether. That would be a natural reaction, but it is not the right one. If we all applied that same logic to how we pursue women, we'd all be single! Luckily, my first venture into fc was Invizx and I bought it in 6# test for my drop shot rig. I noted that it was quite limp, and reminiscent to mono, which I later found to really like about Invizx. My only issue is it used to be about $13 at a local shop and it has now gone up in price as you see it at BPS. A good alternative to it is Cabela's NoViz line. It is made by seaguar, and if I could relate this to over the counter drugs, it would be Invizx's "generic" cousin. It works great, is fairly limp (I can only speak about 6# test), and only costs $9.99. Well, at least the last time I bought it.

To the OP's question, if mono is working for you, I really don't see a need to go fc. But if you're willing to try it, then by all means... Unleash your inner monkey.
Old 05-25-11, 06:36 AM   #12
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Fluoroclear is another great line, it's actually made by P-Line though, not Sufix.
Oops, my bad. I'm so embarrased, lol.
Old 05-26-11, 04:23 PM   #13
DaveW731

Another vote for P-LINE Flouroclear
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 07:44 PM   #14
flippin4it

This all comes down to what you are throwing.. If your lookin for a great line that falls between the lines of Mono and Flouro it would have to be a copoly.. The best in that field would be the Yozuri Hybrid Ultrs Soft... l have bought them all, spooled them all on both spinning and casting tackle.. Yozuri is what your lokkin for!
Old 05-27-11, 12:20 PM   #15
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post

Oops, my bad. I'm so embarrased, lol.
Hey Keith... how heavy of line are you fishing, and are you fishing it on a bait-caster of spinning reel?
Old 05-27-11, 12:24 PM   #16
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
What you heard about Invizx (at least for the lighter tests) is true. Just remember that not all fc lines are equal. I shudder and the thought for me if I had tried Vanish as the first fc line. As your buddy found out and me too, Vanish, simply stated, sucks! Outright! I too probably would have signed off on fc line altogether. That would be a natural reaction, but it is not the right one. If we all applied that same logic to how we pursue women, we'd all be single! Luckily, my first venture into fc was Invizx and I bought it in 6# test for my drop shot rig. I noted that it was quite limp, and reminiscent to mono, which I later found to really like about Invizx. My only issue is it used to be about $13 at a local shop and it has now gone up in price as you see it at BPS. A good alternative to it is Cabela's NoViz line. It is made by seaguar, and if I could relate this to over the counter drugs, it would be Invizx's "generic" cousin. It works great, is fairly limp (I can only speak about 6# test), and only costs $9.99. Well, at least the last time I bought it.

To the OP's question, if mono is working for you, I really don't see a need to go fc. But if you're willing to try it, then by all means... Unleash your inner monkey.
Now there's 2 memorable quotes in one post! (...and some really good info on Fluorocarbon lines) InvisX is tops on my list of new lines to try, now I might also have to consider giving NoViz a try.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.