Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-07, 02:48 PM   #1
catch_release
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to catch_release
Default In search of top water advice

Hey fellas and ladies out there. I'm new to the site. I live in Northern Michigan near Traverse City and fish from a float tube. I mostly keep to smaller lakes in Grand Traverse and Kalkaska Counties. I'm somewhat new to bass fishing. I've been using plastic worms for the most part and have had really good luck so far. My problem is... I want to catch a Big Bass off of a top water lure. Help!! Does anyone have any recommendations for me. The water I fish is usually pretty darn clear. FYI. The biggest bass that I've caught so far was around 4lbs. I mostly catch largemouth as I haven't gone out on the bigger lakes yet.

Last edited by catch_release; 05-30-07 at 02:54 PM.
catch_release is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-07, 02:55 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Some of the fav. topwater lures are the buzzbait, just throw it out and keep it on top of the water with a constant retreive. Other topwater lures are the popR, hula popper, zara spook....some you move a few inches or a foot and let rest, the others you twitch for a side to side motion.
I'd recommend you start with a white buzzbait, and once you get a strike wait one moment before you set the hook.
Also try a zoom horny toad (soft plastic frog) with a #4 gammy offset hook, over open water or vegetation.
A near top water plug you can try is a crankbait made by Manns , its called the manns minus one, all you do there is throw it out and crank it back in.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-07, 04:18 PM   #3
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My personal favorite topwater lures are the pop-r and the buzzbait. THe pop-r- Just cast out, pop twice, and wait till the ripples die. Then do it again. Buzzbait- Just chuck and reel. Good Luck!
Old 05-30-07, 05:18 PM   #4
DeadManwalking92
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to DeadManwalking92

My favorite topwaters include frogs, and pop-rs. I personally throw the pop-rs close to any structure. i.e. (Docks, standing timber). Frogs I use in open water, matted weeds, and parallel to the shore line.
DeadManwalking92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-07, 07:12 PM   #5
catch_release
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the info. I guess I have to go to the store......again. This bass fishin thing is gettin expensive. I do have a zara spook, just haven't used it yet and to be honest really didn't know how. I also bought one of those soft frogs too. I'm just learning as I go. I'll let you know how it goes later.
Old 05-30-07, 07:51 PM   #6
Marty

Quote:
I want to catch a Big Bass off of a top water lure.
So do I. Actually, my biggest bass, which may not be a big bass by some peoples' standards, was taken on a Sizmic Toad being buzzed on the surface.

Quote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for me.
As the risk of sounding like a smarta$$, my recommendation is to locate a big bass that is willing to rise to a topwater. That's my way of saying, in my humble opinion, that any lure can be a big-fish lure if it's presented in the area of a willing big fish.

Good luck.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-07, 12:43 AM   #7
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Big bass will hit small baits-the Texas State Record is a little over 18 lbs and was caught by a guy crappie fishing on Lake Fork.

Buzzbaits are good, so is a Pop-R, a Tiny or Baby Torpedo and a Zara Spook.

To fish a spook cast it out and give it a short jerk with the rod tip. It will turn 90 degrees, then another sharp jerk will turn it 180 degrees. Jerk it again for another 180 degree turn. This is called walking the dog. It takes a little practice to get your timing down-you are jerking and reeling at the same time-but a Spook is definitely a big bass bait.
Old 06-01-07, 07:14 AM   #8
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

topwater is addictive.the problem is that usually there are better ways to catch them.once you catch a monster on a buzzbait you will then find yourself throwing a buzzbait a lot more than you really should.after a while you learn to not stay stuck on topwaters when they aren't working.when they do work there isn't a better way to have fun fishing.
Old 06-01-07, 07:21 AM   #9
FlyRod

Talking

I am considered by many to be a successful Topwater fisherman and have a wealth of knowledge and experience upon which to draw in that regard.
However, in keeping with my new policy of not offering any advice whatsoever; No comment...The Doctor is OUT.

Thank you, and "Good Day" to you all.

FlyRod
Smug in San Antonio (New Capitol Of The Third World)
I'ze in ur boat, catchin' ur bazz.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-07, 08:00 AM   #10
Mac1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you fish from a tube, stick to single hook lures....fighting a bass in a tube can lead to problems with the extra hooks sticking out....especially if you hook the tube when landing or the bass swims between your legs when trying to get away. Smaller topwaters such as the Pop R could be rigged with a single hook, the buzzbaits and toads will be OK too. I'd save the treble hook lures for shore or boat fishing.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-07, 09:58 AM   #11
catch_release
BassFishin.Com Member

OMG! I hope I don't catch an 18lb bass while on my float tube. I might get dragged to one of ole flyrods lakes and he'll have to put up with me asking stupid questions all day long. I don't think there are any 18lb bass in northern michigan..... are there??? I think I will stick to the single hooks Mac, you've got me a little concerned now. TGIF everyone! I'm lookin forward to fishin this weekend. Its finally warm up here.
Old 06-01-07, 04:34 PM   #12
Robrote
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Top Water

Zoom horny toad, 4-0 hook. I like white frogs, but have had luck with green as well.

Buzz them fast, let them sink and inch or two under the water, does not matter. These things are deadly.
Robrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-07, 06:23 PM   #13
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would try a prop bait or a spook.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.