Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-07, 07:08 PM   #1
RyDogg
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Making Bass Jigs

Hey Guys,
I just bought a bass jig making kit. It didnt come with instructions. So I was wondering if any of you guys know how to make the skirts and put them on the jig. The kit came with. A bunch of rolls of differnt colors of the rubber for the skirts. Pliers for grabbing the rubber skirt. Little rubber beads, which I think are for holding the skirt on the jig. And I have a bunch of jig hooks with weadguards. So, any of you guys know how to make these things, or know a good website I can go to get instructions online. Let me know if I have left out any key info you need.
Thanks
Old 06-01-07, 07:16 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

making a jig is pretty simple, take
the skirt material and cut about 5 inches of it, find the center area so that about 2 1/2 inches make a skirt around the jig, slide a rubber band type holder over the material once you slide the skirt up around the jig head, then notice how much material is hanging below the bend in the hook, and trim it about even to the bend..if you want less skirt trim more, if you want more skirt on the next one, trail and error a piece that is longer...one neat trick you can do is take about 1/3 of the skirt (once its on the jig) and cut to various lengths, to give it a spider type look..the key is to make sure your rubber band keeper
keeps the skirt up around the neck of the jig..
As far as the weed guard goes, you can bend it up and fan it out a tad, and if its too long, like a 1/4 inch over the hook, take a 1/8th inch off or so..
then once you are on the water fishing, match up a trailer, like a pork chunk, or plastic craw, or any combo you desire..
Just make several in various sizes, many are way to big to be effective, trim
some of the skirts down so you have an arsenal of compact as well as bigger jigs.
Most jigs for bass are 3/8 ounce, 1/2 ounce, 5/16, 1/4 or 3/4..the general all around jig is 3/8.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-07, 08:08 PM   #3
RyDogg
BassFishin.Com Active Member

thanks man,
I just made a nice little jig. cant wait to try it

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.