Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-07, 06:23 PM   #1
Kawabuggy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default How Much Line On A Spinning Reel?

Some of you may know that recently I had problems with Trilene XT, or XL or whatever it is on my spinning reel.

I have decided to remove it (most of it) from my spinning reel. I purchased Stren Super Braid in a 125 yard spool. Since I had previously removed a fair amount of the Trilene, but am unsure about how much I should pull off.

Logic tells me that I only need about 3 ft more than my furthest cast will ever be. I would guesstimate that I won't ever be casting more than 60 yards. So, if I choose to use 60 yards (+3 ft?), how do I determine how much I need to remove from my already somewhat depleted spool?

I notice that the braid is a lot smaller in diameter than my old monofilament, so even if I knew how much mono was already removed, I would still have to figure in the smaller diameter of the braid to account for the difference between the two.

Lastly-how full should I fill the spool? Someone on this site told me once before that there should be at least 1/4 of the edge of the spool still exposed. I thought these things worked on a drag principal with a fuller spool offering less resistance equates to a longer cast?

I already started spooling it, I have about 3/16" of the spool lip left uncovered. I think I will call it quits here, and see how it works.

By the way, I paid $14.99 + $1.24 (tax)=$16.23 for 125 yards. The Spider Wire was less, but I am familiar with Stren so I went with what I felt comfortable with.

Looking at this stuff closely it looks exactly like what a doctor would sew you up with if you had a cut that required stitches.
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.