Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-07, 03:26 PM   #1
underfrog
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Rookie needs some advice

Hey Everyone,

I love fishing, have since I was a kid but I never really learned right. I'm getting into Bass for the first time and kinda feel lost in the process. I've been fishing a medium sized pond that was once part of Orlando Wilson's backyard (Woodstock GA) and has been stocked with some of his trophies. I try to hit it at least once or twice a week, but so far my results have been disappointing. I can walk the banks and count 10-20 largemouth in plain sight with at least 2-3 3lb+ lunkers but have yet to take in anything over 2lbs. My first trip over 4 hrs I came up empty my friend landed a 6lb lunker and 4 LM's under 2lbs. Since then I've taken in maybe 4 bass over 10 hrs of fishing.

I've tried a little bit of everything. I stocked up on lures, fishing with solid and broken minnows, spinner baits, buzz bait, jitterbugs, plastic worms, rattle trap and a jig. I don't know if it's my technique or my equipment or maybe just my timing. I've been fishing early morning, shortly after sunrise (6:45am ish until about 10 to 10:30am).

I know the fish are there, not sure why they are not hitting me, any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

--Dan
underfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 03:32 PM   #2
the pond guy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to the pond guy

Senko worms by Yum or Kinami with no added weight will produce lunkers everywhere.. In fact all i bring when pond fishing is a pack of Senko worms and G-Lock hooks... Works everytime!!
the pond guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 04:23 PM   #3
thebus71h
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

I have been fishing very slow lately, cannot get a bite on anything but powerworms, and lizards. Fish very very slow, just jig the worm along the bottom.
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 04:45 PM   #4
bassbooger

If you are fishing for fish that you see, then you need to back off. If you can see them, then they can most definitely see you and will not bite.
Old 05-21-07, 06:44 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

am with booger here..a good idea is to wear clothing that blends in with the background..

zooker
Old 05-21-07, 07:15 PM   #6
MSfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

if the water is cool fish your lure at a slow steady retrieve, fish in cooler water bass more lethargic and slow to strike. if the water is warmer fish your lure with a more quick and erratic retrieve.. play around with different types of retrives.
MSfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 07:17 PM   #7
b4ssman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to b4ssman

try drop shotting a 4inch robo leech,the technique, just throw it in wait till the weight hits the bottom and start twtiching the rod tip, remember to shake the worm not the weight. my favorite colors are aarons magic, bold blue gill and green wiene. that will get you quanity, for quality try a black and blue jig with a penetration color beaver as a trailer, a flipping stick and heavy braided line in the cover that should net you a lunker.
b4ssman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 07:38 PM   #8
RyDogg

ide say try some powerbait worms. maybe pumpkinseed or black/blue flake or a lizard and try that on a decent size hook texas rigged and a drop shot about 2-3 feet above it and bounce it along.
Old 05-21-07, 09:24 PM   #9
rasplash@hotmail.com
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to rasplash@hotmail.com

I agree with the power worm deal. But I have been reading that the Bango Minow works also!! Good Luck
rasplash@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 12:06 AM   #10
MSfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

i agree with b4ssman... you cant go wrong with a drop shot rig, i was fishing today and i couldnt get them to hit anything, so i tied on a drop shot rig with a watermelon seed finesse worm with some garlic sented spray.. drop it around some cover and you will be catching them in no time, remember shake the lure in one spot with out moving the weight.
MSfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 03:16 PM   #11
Rumrunner
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
am with booger here..a good idea is to wear clothing that blends in with the background..

zooker

Sorry, Im new as well. Why the clothes? Arent most "bassboats" colored as ugly as a golfers pants? LOL
Rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 03:28 PM   #12
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrunner View Post
Sorry, Im new as well. Why the clothes? Arent most "bassboats" colored as ugly as a golfers pants? LOL

It is my understanding that Frog is fishing from the bank. I know some folks who walk the bank in camo. This is to try and hide yourself so you don't spook the fish.

The other thing I would do is long casts parallel(spelling?) to the bank. That way the fish sees the lure long before they see you.

By the way, before I had a bass boat, I thought they were all pretty. Now I realize that some of them still are! Welcome to the site, Rum. There is a lot of great info on here.

Last edited by everettvet; 05-22-07 at 03:38 PM.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 03:38 PM   #13
OUTLAW

My advise is keep trying ,The camo idea is good though ,on the banks.Try to be more sneakier approaching the pond.Rubber worms,Senkos,Powerbait should work,sooner or later you will find a pattern that works for you.Just dont get frustrated,before ya know it youll get fish.
Old 05-22-07, 03:42 PM   #14
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTLAW View Post
My advise is keep trying ,The camo idea is good though ,on the banks..
Outlaw,

Glad you liked the camo idea. I figured if anyone did, it would be you.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 06:16 PM   #15
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

bassboats throw a shadow like a cloud coving the sun.. really don't spook the fish.. i have a mostly white boat and have had bass hit 6" from it..

zooker
Old 05-27-07, 12:26 PM   #16
Sapper364
BassFishin.Com Member

Take a good look at the pond. What do the bass feed on? Match the normal food chain. Also think of the water in 3 layers, top, center and bottom. topwater lures, match the size of the bait fish, crankbaits or dropshots, and the Famous jig-n-pig. Long casts working the edges of cover will improve your hookup rate. Pick a couple of sensible lures and really work the water instead of trying to throw everything at them.
Old 05-30-07, 12:46 PM   #17
Rumrunner
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet View Post
It is my understanding that Frog is fishing from the bank. I know some folks who walk the bank in camo. This is to try and hide yourself so you don't spook the fish.

The other thing I would do is long casts parallel(spelling?) to the bank. That way the fish sees the lure long before they see you.

By the way, before I had a bass boat, I thought they were all pretty. Now I realize that some of them still are! Welcome to the site, Rum. There is a lot of great info on here.
Yes there are. I have found a ton of info and advice. Thanks.
Rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.