Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-29-14, 10:43 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Choice of rod length.

I am planning to set up a new spinning outfit over the winter months for the 2015 season. It will be used for lighter applications, of 1/16oz. lures - 1/4oz. lures tops. Mostly around 1/16 - 1/8th. I am looking at going with a medium light/fast rod, but am not sure if I should stick with a shorter 6'6" length or a slightly longer 6'9" rod. Shorter is generally better with light weight baits, but I am thinking 6'9" might be perfect. What say ye?
Old 10-29-14, 11:36 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For some reason I like the longer rod. I just don't feel comfortable with a shorter rod. The exception is for spinnerbaits in close quarters. I'd go with the 6-9 rod.
Old 10-30-14, 08:16 AM   #3
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I love using a spinning rod, and can cast one as (or more) accurately than a bait caster.
Length will depend on your most common environment.
If you'll be fishing open water, and looking for the longest casts, then a longer rod will give you more leverage, faster tip speeds and better "launching" capability to get those small lures out there. You'll also want a longer rod for getting fish out of weeds and cover. Longer rods again equal leverage, you can turn a bass' head easier with longer rods.
On the other hand, if you'll be fishing docks and overhangs, you'll want a shorter rod, This will give you the option of skipping lures up under docks. I can skip a spinning rod cast all the way to the back of a dock with the right lure. I can't get half that distance with a bait caster. So, if you're fishing "close" ... short rod. If you're going for distance, long rod.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-14, 09:07 AM   #4
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I prefer longer rods with lighter baits... more distance casting and the longer rod is usually more forgiving when fishing a large fish impaled with a small hook.

A longer rod will give the fish more leverage, but that just increases the fun...

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-14, 07:11 AM   #5
woody

Keith, If I had to choose between the 6'6 and 6'9, I would pick the 6'9.

I went with a 7'2 ML/F, with size 300 magnesium spinning reel.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 07:58 AM   #6
lilmule

Shorter is generally more accurate,longer is longer casts somewhat depends upon individual preference and what used mostly for.7 ft 11 in noodle rods come in handy for salmon.I own 2 baitcasters that are 8 ft now you got me thinking.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 09:47 AM   #7
bassboogieman

It depends on personal preference and what is comfortable for you. I only have one M/L spinner (custom Kipper Stick 6'0") that I use for trout. In the light power rods I like them a bit shorter because the longer rods seem a bit "whippy" to me, therefore I would choose a 6'6 or even a 6'0". All that said, my spinning rods I use for bass are M or MH in 6'3" (dock skippers), 6'9" and 7'0" and I much prefer the 6'9" for most uses - it's my favorite length rod for both spinning & casting versions in the brand I prefer. Not all brands feel the same, something to consider when making your choice. Seeing what Roger posted, I had a "noodle" rod that I used for shad in the Susquehanna River, that thing was almost 8' (forget exactly) and M/L moderate and I hated casting that whip in the wind. That was years ago and it was not an expensive rod so it may not be representative of what is available today, but I would not have tried it for bass...

Last edited by bassboogieman; 11-08-14 at 09:54 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 01:41 PM   #8
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I appreciate the feed back. Overall, from what I see here, the 6'9" might be the way to go. Bruce, the fact that your preference for most uses is a 6'9" plays well into what I plan to do with this rod. Will try to handle both next time I am at BPS. I am looking at the Carbonlite rods. They seem like a pretty decent rod for the money. Don't want to spend a lot on this rod.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.