Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-06, 05:20 PM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default how it all started and who the major players were.

Some people may not be aware of what bass fishing is. Bass fishing has an interesting story. It begun in the late 18th century and it still continues to develop until today. More and more people have been hooked up with bass fishing. It is in fact one of the most popular hobbies of many people and in most countries. More and more countries have been adopting bass fishing.

It had probably in the beginning practiced in search for food from among the people in the south of the United States. From that day onwards, it has started getting numerous audiences of all ages and nations. Today, several countries such as Australia, Cuba, South Africa, United States and most citizens from Europe participate in this kind of event.

The year 1768 or 1770 was the birth of bass fishing sports. Onesimus Ustonson was the one who introduced his first multiplying reels to the fishing gurus and lovers of bass fishing. From then on, it was developed into bait caster.

William Shakespeare Jr. have materialized the construction of a level wind device and secured its patent on 1897.

Then after, the William J. Jamison Co introduced the excessively ornamented Shannon Twin Spinner in 1915 and was enhanced to create today's spinner baits.

In the year 1932, President Franklin D. Roosevelt has instituted the formation of Tennessee Valley Authority and has encouraged the construction and building of several dams. These dams were later used for culturing different varieties of bass fishes. If these dams were not built, the people would not have the place to go for bass fishing.

Five years later, the famous DuPont Company filed copyright for nylon fishing net, and this was later urbanized into nylon monofilament fishing line.

The year 1992 is one of the most glorious events in the history of bass fishing. Larry Nixon, the famous fisherman in the history of bass fishing won $1 M total earnings for this sport on this year.

A lot of fish species that are being caught in the bass fishing events include the following:

Micropterus punctatus - Kentucky Bass

Micropterus dolomieui - Smallmouth bass

Micropterus salmoides (Lacepede) - Largemouth Bass

The other known classes of Micropterus are also wedged but in those times, one that remains most accepted is the Largemouth bass. On the other hand, it should be emphasized that some of the Australian Bass are different from the above North American Bass variants even though most share comparable features.

Possibly, the most vigorous success of Bass Fishing was in the 1950s. The popularity of the game during this age is the springboard to the development of modern fishing equipments from bass boats, rods, lines, lures and various fishing gears.

The contribution of bass fishing industry to the US economy records $50 to $70 Billion and the number continues to grow. Statistics show that the audience base of this sport is increasing and that more and more people are getting interested in it compared to tennis and golf.

Electronic gears during that time were also integrated and incorporated among the host of equipments bass fishers which were used at that same time. Reels of different types, which function in carrying and hoisting, were also created.

Now that you have a little understanding about bass fishing, you can already start your own bass fishing in your place. It is important to know the certain facts about bass fishing so that you will fully understand how it started.

In addition, you must know how to build up a victorious bass fishing pattern. Having a larger bass will really help you in your fishing trip.

Some may also go bass fishing at night if they want to so it is good that you be taught professional night bass fishing techniques.

Besides, the others may also be benefited by learning the professional winter bass fishing techniques for those who have experienced the four seasons.

These are only some of the many styles and tips on how to progress and enhance your bass fishing strategy. But if you do not have any plan at all, you may really get dissatisfied from time to time. But, it is optional that you first learn and read adequate information and guides about bass fishing.

zooker
Old 08-10-06, 06:23 PM   #2
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Good stuff zook. Two history-type posts in a day. BTW, I recomend to everyone who hasn't read it, the book Sowbelly. It's a wonderful history of the quest for a record.
Old 08-10-06, 09:42 PM   #3
bassking22
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Great post zook, good to read.
Old 08-11-06, 09:11 PM   #4
WTL

Good read Zook, but I'm from TVA territory and had those dams not been built, the people would have still caught bass in the tennessee river. There are still folks around who remember when Guntersville was just a long stretch of river.
Old 08-11-06, 09:52 PM   #5
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Very Interesting Zooker. I will have to say that bass fishing for Kentucky Spotted Bass and Smallmouth Bass existed in good abundance in the Tennessee Valley before TVA built Norris in 1938. My father who is 89 years old was bass fishing the rivers here in the late 1920's. The Clinch, Powell, Holston French Broad and Tennessee rivers had very good populations of Spotts and Smallmouth as well as another native bass that did not adapt to lake living like the spott did. It is called a red eye and is very close in apperance to a spot,These fish still thrive in the Pigeon River,Nolichucky and Little T.In fact he picked up the sport from his father who was born here in Tennessee in the late 1880's.
The TVA lakes were not the first lakes here also. Cove Lake and Big Ridge lake were already in existance when Norris was built. They both are seperated by dams from Norris, Lee Lake in Granger County was a pay lake full of bass in the early 1930's. My Dad has talked often about wade fishing the Clinch and Holston when he was a boy for Bass using live salimanders and grampus.
Very good article, I never realized that the sport was that old. Fish2win
Old 08-11-06, 11:39 PM   #6
WTL

You can still catch redyes in the region if you know where to fish, fish2 win. Normally they are way up creeks, otherwise the spots tend to outcompete them for food.
Old 08-12-06, 09:52 AM   #7
flbassman

I was just up in greeneville, and I ished the Nolichucky. Where exactly is norris?
Old 08-13-06, 12:18 PM   #8
Fish2win

Norris is across the Clinch Mountain range from the Chucky. Picture this You have three valleys with rivers. The French Broad which makes Douglas(the chucky flows into the French Broad) The Holston which makes Cherokee and the Clinch which makes Norris. All three are north of Knoxville. Norris is the oldest of all the TVA lakes. It has 1100 miles of shore line and two rivers flowing into it, The Clinch and Powell. The Dam is near Clinton and the head waters are in Tazewell on the Clinch and Speedwell on the Powell.In fact it is so big that you could place Cherokee and Douglas inside its full pool bounderies. I fish all three of these lakes extensivly.The Douglas and Cherokee discharge run together just outside Knoxville to form the Tennessee River, The Clinch ends up running into the Tennessee River at Kingston(Watts Bar)after it makes Melton Hill at Oak Ridge.
Did you catch any good smallmouth while you were fishing the chucky? Did you float below the dam on the Chucky? Fish2win
Old 08-13-06, 01:02 PM   #9
JB

Click image for larger version

Name:	norris.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	704Our club used to go down I-75 to Norris and fish it, unfortunately the only tourney I got in was after a huge rain and boy, does that lake get muddy..got one fish for the whole 4 days we were there, but had a great time! Now, up here all the fishing shows have commercials for lake front property around norris, it must really be expanding around the lake..the lake itself is awesome!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-06, 01:06 PM   #10
flbassman

I fished right under the dam, but from shore... I was with my grandparents, and they don'tfish....
Old 08-13-06, 01:21 PM   #11
bassnman30

Back in the early days Toledo Bend had bass up to 5 lbs schooling on top. Now they are smaller (up to 1 or 2 lbs schooling). That tells you how the pressure is effecting these fish.
Once while reading an old bassmaster, I noticed how fishermen were skeptical of electronic depth finders, they weren't sure if they should be allowed. (These were the "green boxes" with a flasher). Now these days if you don't have one or two on your boat your not up to standards with the others anglers.
Old 08-15-06, 11:47 AM   #12
Fish2win

Actually Jb it was a rare occasion when it does muddy up. It must have been a spring tourney before the lake got to full pool. The only muddy water we see on a regular basis is from mud lines created from boat wakes. The fish will often go straight in them. The land is very high demand for Ohio, Indiana and Florida . It has driven the prices up so high that most local people cant afford it anymore. 5 years ago a 1 acre lake front was 40 to 50 now it is 150 to 300 per acre.I bought mine in the 1980's for less than 10 per acre. I have 6 acres on the water.I will never sale any because I have 2 sons. They would never be able to buy this type land so it will go to them and thiers.

Fishing the river below Norris can be very good . It is an excellent Trout fishery having given up Brown Trout to 28 lbs and Rainbows to 12 lbs.The current state record Brown Trout came from the Clinch below Norris. I primarily fish the lake for Smallmouth but do float the river for trout. They are great on the grill and i just cant kill a Smallie. They are to special.
Fish2win

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.