Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-09, 07:08 PM   #1
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question the V spool?

what's the dif, is there an advantage over reg stile or is it some thing to get fishermen
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 07:24 PM   #2
swimbaitkid

nothing just the way its made is different but if you get a narrow spool its easier to flip and pitch more accurately
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 02:52 AM   #3
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

He asked about the "V" spool, not the narrow spool so commonplace on casting reels today.
From my recollection the "V" concept arose circa the mid-to-late 70s as an attempt to reduce the incidence of backlashes. The idea was that, much as with a "narrow" spool vs a "wide spool", line would be depleted more quickly on each cast which caused the spool to rotate more quickly as it attempted to keep pace. The theory was that it could never quite outrun the line depletion rate and thus, unless the operator was a total dufus, there'd be no backlash.
The "V" concept had merit, especially in light of the primitive (by today's standards) anti-backlash systems in the reels of the time. Some few reels came factory-equipped with a "V" spool and there were plentiful aftermarket kits, mostly for the narrow spool Ambassadeurs (4500, 4600 series) much the same as there were aftermarket gear sets to convert the classic red or black (the first "C" models) Ambys from their 3.7:1 retrieve ratio to a blistering FIVE TO ONE!!! Even the "High Speed' (Those with a "5" being the second numeral...5500C as an example, the "C" meaning ball-bearings instead of bronze bushings.) Ambys had only a 4.7:1 gear ratio if I correctly recall.
Until the advent of more sophisticated anti-backlash systems, such as the revolutionary Daiwa MagForce system and more "tunable" centrifugally-based systems, we needed all the help we could get! We still do, as demonstrated by the things I've witnessed when...never mind.
Now that I think of it...I once owned perhaps six Amby 4600Cs with "V" conversions and a like number of Lew's BB1-L models ditto. The downside to the Veebies was that line at the outer edge tended to collapse inward at times resulting in loose line in the center. One had to be watchful and assure that one applied new line neatly, with no dip in the center of the spool and also to see that line being retrieved accumulated evenly.
Another, and little-considered, negative was that bearings/bushings took a frightful beating since the much faster rotation of the spool on each cast meant friction and foreign matter ate them up in less time than was heretofore the case. This was further aggravated, as it is today, by brainiacs "riding the spool" with a thumb in cast and/or retrieve.

That's all, But if anyone is interested I'll relate another tale from the JurBassic Period, that re "Poor Man's Graphite".
Lancer6

Last edited by Lancer6; 07-16-09 at 03:09 AM.
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 07:15 AM   #4
bassackwards

thanks it makes sence but i think ill stay with the reg spool
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.