Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-10, 08:09 PM   #1
Old Hooker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Talking The Good, Bad, and very Ugly

Ok, a little background to start this war story/ fairy tale off. (Know the difference? A fairy tale starts off "Once upon a time" and a war story starts off" This ain't no sh!t"). I have just started getting back into my bassin' heavy since July. During that time I have bought 5 new rods and 5 new reels and replaced enough tackle that all together my monkey has cost me roughly $1000. Please don't get the impression I'm bragging, cause I'm not. Just telling it the way it is. BUT, I haven't gotten to spend enough time using any of it to even take the new stuffs virginity, except for a very small stripe on my spinning rod (fluke rod) yesterday.

Now today . Here's the good. Total of seven bass between 1 and 3 1/2 pounds on my two chuck and wind setups using a 1/4 oz RattleTrap (TN shad), a Bomber shallow diver (fire tiger) and a double willow spinnerbait. The bad? Well, I lost two decent bass on the spinnerbait because I didn't think I needed a trailer hook. That's kinda dumb. I just bought a whole pack of them a couple weeks ago. Oh well, I know better next time.

The ugly? Ok, my reels are Pro Qualifers with the centrifigal break. All this is new technology to my old Redneck self. I thought I had all the brakes inside my crankbait rod turned off. So I start playing around with it and turn "on" two of them. Wow, that casts better. Let's turn "on" two more. Jeez, that thing really slings now! Let's turn "on" the last two and let's see what this joker does! I'll tell you what it does. It gives you the Mother of all Backlashes! No "professional over runs" or any other nice term. I mean, this sucker was so bad there was no fixing it, with or without Kevin's video. I know, cause I tried it a whole lot of times. In fact, I ended up cutting out about half my spool. Man, live and learn I guess.

So, now I still need to deflower my worm rod and pitching rod to make the set complete. I just hope I can find a easier way to do it.
Old 11-02-10, 08:21 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

As for the monkey, I definitely know your pain.

As for the centrifugal brakes. You've just got it mixed up a bit. When the little caps or switches are out, the brakes are on. When they're pushed in, the brakes are off.

The trick I used to memorize that is to remember the phrase, "I fish often" (and this came from someone on here I believe, just don't remember who). If you remember this, you'll never get it mixed up again. because if you fish "OFTEN," the word often sounds like the words "off" and "in". So when the brakes are pushed in, they're off.

Also, something to note of centrifugal brakes is the only work well when they're set up symmetrically. So if you turn one on, the one across from it needs to be on as well. This gives you the options of 0, 2, 4, or 6. But you can also use 3 by alternative every other one on, so now it is radially symmetrical.

Good luck breaking in the new gear!

BB
Old 11-02-10, 08:25 PM   #3
bamabassman

hooker, that is an awesum story man. sorry for the EAGLE nest,lol. but now you got it figured out. glad you had a great time man.
Old 11-02-10, 08:49 PM   #4
Old Hooker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey BB, that's great! "I fish often" is something I will definately remember. I've never heard that before, but it's a keeper. Thank you.

John, you're on the right track, but think "condor". All in all, I had the best day fishin' that I have had in a LONG time.
Old 11-03-10, 03:16 PM   #5
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sounds like you got the "cut you line off only" type of bird's nest. Reminds me of when I first used my curado. I was new to casting reels and didn't know anything about setting brakes yet. I had it spooled with braid, another first.

I learned immediately what no brakes meant. It was the nastiest nest I have been able to create and I had to cut it off. The braid on the spool wasn't even on for 10 minutes and it was the fast $12.50 I ever spent on a line.

BB has a great illustration but all you have to do if you forget even that, just remember an ice skater spinning around. When her arms are out, she rotates slower than when she would than when she pulls her arms in. So if you pull out your brakes, the reel's spool will act as the skater with her arms out. It will spin slower and therefore the breaks are on. A little physics.
Old 11-03-10, 03:32 PM   #6
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Here is a tip for you while you are learning. Make the longest cast you will ever make and them pull out an extra 10 to 15 yds. Now use a strip of 3/4 inch tape to make 2 wraps around the spool. Just stick the tape to the spool in the back and crank slowly to wrap it while you press it tight. Try to get exactly 2 wraps so it stays balanced. I use the white cloth tape for sports wraps or bandages. Now crank the rest of your line back on the spool and your done. You will never have to cut your line off again. All backlashes will stay in the top section where they are easy to pick out. If you do catch a giant fish that makes a long run , just peel the tape off when you get to that section and keep fighting that monster, odds are most of us will never need to do that.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 06:25 PM   #7
keithdog

Well the main thing is your out using the new gear and having success. Yeah, you lost a spool of line, but like you said, live and learn. We've all been there so we can all relate to that for sure. I like that ice scater example islandbass! Makes a lot of sense. And the tape suggestion pro reel suggested is something I'm going to use this next year when I am respooling. I hope you practice the pitchin rod in the back yard before heading to the water. If your going to make a mistake the first time around, better at home rather than when it counts. Good to hear your having fun though. Thats the thing that counts.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.