Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-06, 09:51 PM   #1
Rubberduck#2
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Braided line life span?

What kind of life span do you get from braided line? Do you need to change it as often as mono?
Also how much line do you put on your bait caster in say 30-50 # braid? I had a roll of 30# fusion and was wondering if I should try to get all 150 yards on the reel.
Thanks

Last edited by Rubberduck#2; 03-26-06 at 09:59 PM.
Rubberduck#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-06, 10:24 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

50 lb braid is the approx. diameter of 12 lb mono, so whatever the mono rating of the reel is for 12 lb mono will tell you. I've had Powerpro on several reels for several years and it still works like it always has-haven't needed to change it. You can also reverse braid-the line on the bottom of the spool is still good-just crank it on another reel and essentially you have fresh line.
Old 03-27-06, 12:09 AM   #3
Jackl
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

REB,
I just figured out a answer to the loss of color on the Power Pro braid. I mix cake coloring in the following increments: 1 part red, 1 part blue and 2 parts yellow. This gives me sort of a subdued moss colored green/brown. I pull the wick out of an old YELLOW high-liter and inject the coloring into the barrel of the high-liter with a hypodermic needle. (A high-liter will hold 2 to 3 CC of coloring) I then replace the wick and split it lengthways with a razor blade so the Power Pro line will slide thru the slit in the wick. I run this up and down the line a couple timea and "Viola," colored line. I also paint the line on the reel spool with the high-liter to color the line faster without having to run the wick up and down so much line. The only drawback is that three fingers on my left hand are stained bright red until the damn stuff wears off (It will not wash off, believe me)

JackL
Old 03-27-06, 12:14 AM   #4
Rebbasser

Jack, that is a heck of an idea. Thanks!
Old 03-27-06, 11:12 AM   #5
Rodman_Rob

Jackl, try Hoppes #9 (gun cleaner), stuff cleans almost anything. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest typewriter cleaner, but I'd be scared what it might do to your fingers.
Old 03-27-06, 08:26 PM   #6
bass kicker

i change my line every year with no exceptions i keep the old braid and use it for catfish
Old 03-27-06, 08:55 PM   #7
Jive Turkey
BassFishin.Com Member

Nice ideas, the reverse spooling, and the food coloring highlighter. I'll have to try those.
I just pulled the tip from a marker, and it looks pretty straight-forward. A syringe will work perfectly.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 11:59 PM   #8
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackl
REB,
I just figured out a answer to the loss of color on the Power Pro braid. I mix cake coloring in the following increments: 1 part red, 1 part blue and 2 parts yellow. This gives me sort of a subdued moss colored green/brown. I pull the wick out of an old YELLOW high-liter and inject the coloring into the barrel of the high-liter with a hypodermic needle. (A high-liter will hold 2 to 3 CC of coloring) I then replace the wick and split it lengthways with a razor blade so the Power Pro line will slide thru the slit in the wick. I run this up and down the line a couple timea and "Viola," colored line. I also paint the line on the reel spool with the high-liter to color the line faster without having to run the wick up and down so much line. The only drawback is that three fingers on my left hand are stained bright red until the damn stuff wears off (It will not wash off, believe me)

JackL
Obviously someone hasn't been able to go fishing LOL. Good idea, but why would you go through all of that (And why do you have hypodermic needles at home for ) Do you think the color makes that much difference I know you're retired, but man, just buy a couple of markers. Did you get any good hunting in this year? Hope the weather turns for you for your trip. Come on down to Florida, I love to go fishing with ya anytime. I just know how you love all these faces too

Lizards
Old 03-28-06, 01:17 AM   #9
Jackl

LIZ,
I hate to burst your bubble, but the reason I have hypo needles at home is because my vet uses them to measure heartworm meds for my lab and sends them home with me so I can squirt the heartworm meds down his throat (No needle, just the syringe)

As far as buying a marker, you can only buy bright green, chartreuse, brown, or yellow, not a subdued moss green in the bunch. I want something that will somewhat blend into the color of the water I fish.

I would love to fish the "Big O" in FLA, but that is one hell of a trip to pull a boat. A group of us are thinking about tripping to Amistad in Jan or Feb of next year. That would be a two day driving trip each way. If gas gets to $3.00 a gallon like they are forecasting, we may have to forgo that idea and stick to Missouri & Oklahoma with an occasional trip to Lake Fork or Alan Henry.

JackL
Old 03-28-06, 08:12 PM   #10
zooker

i change the braid every 2 years..

jackl
some one has WAY to much free time.. talk about cabin fever...yikes...
of course i would make the lude comment here about 3 red fingers but wont -because of your elder status..

zooker
Old 03-28-06, 08:17 PM   #11
Bob R.
BassFishin.Com Member

I have found braid to last a lot longer than mono. I usually change braid every year or so.
Bob R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-06, 08:41 PM   #12
bass kicker

i change it every year bacause the local bait shop only charges 5 cent a yard
for braid and 1 cent mono

its his special spring sale

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.